The Student Room Group

I need a job for the summer - how to go about getting one?

Mods, please do not move this thread to the Careers and Employment section because that forum is quite dead and i wont get good advice from there. at least here it will be seen by lots of people and it is advice on everyday issues (finding a job) after all.

so i need a job for the summer. last summer, i couldnt get one - i spent the summer occasionally going to the gym, doing a lousy paper round (which was just over £10 a week, for about 7 hours work a week) and sitting in my room at home on the computer. 3 months doing almost nothing.

i need a job for the end of June/beginning of July and ending at the end of September/beginning of October and i think now is a good time to search for one. as long as it pays minimum wage and is for a good amount of hours, i will take anything.

i know its a recession but surely somewhere i can get some form of work. i want to be earning some money and doing something useful with my time. how do i go about getting a job for the summer and actually end up successfully getting one? everyone else seems to be able to get a job easily but i never get one - i am 20 years old and, other than that paper round last summer, i have never worked.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Before anyone suggests it, I am NOT going to do volunteering. I need money from a job and I am therefore not going to volunteer.
(edited 13 years ago)
First off, in this economic climate it is probably harder than you think to get a job, especially since you have had no past experience. I suggest you start job searching as early as possible, maybe 3 months before summer (now). Get a decent CV, the CV Help section in this forum can help you with that. Start actively looking for a job, go into shops, restaurants, supermarkets and ask them if you can hand in your CV. The job won't come to you, so you must go to the job. Also there are job websites, but from my experience they weren't too helpful because it was rare that they advertised jobs for people ages 18-21, and if they did, it was very competitive.

Also, don't tell employers that you are only looking for a job for the summer, unless it's a temp job.

Good luck!
Original post by robotwars
Before anyone suggests it, I am NOT going to do volunteering. I need money from a job and I am therefore not going to volunteer.

Well good luck getting a job with no experience. In this economic climate, why the **** would they choose someone who has never worked before when there will be plenty of people with till skills and experience in the workplace.

Before summer, volunteer work would bulk out your CV and give you something to talk about in the interview. It would probably be what gets you an interview.
Original post by robotwars

Why are you so against the idea of volunteering? I've been doing it for 4 months in a local charity shop and it has been the best thing I have done for my future career. I've yet to find a meaningful job (I have started at a local chemists, but my hours were reduced to 3 and a half hours on a Saturday, I get more in pocket money, going to leave as soon as I get another job), but the experience will be absolutely worth it.
I’ve a question as well, does anyone know where you have to look for a temporary job July or August (no problem if it is voluntary)? Something which is connected to your study? Thanks :smile:
Firstly, make sure your CV is up to scratch and shows you in the best possible light. Then, print LOADS off and physically go to hand them out to managers, NOT just someone on the till who puts it behind and will probably forget all about it. If you can ask to see the manager, and show them that you're a polite person who actually wants a job, you are more likely to be considered.
Reply 7
Do you need to attach a cover letter when handing out CVs?
Original post by lechaton-x
Well good luck getting a job with no experience. In this economic climate, why the **** would they choose someone who has never worked before when there will be plenty of people with till skills and experience in the workplace.

Before summer, volunteer work would bulk out your CV and give you something to talk about in the interview. It would probably be what gets you an interview.

+ rep
This, OP.
Reply 9
Original post by cultlogic

In general, yes! If you tailor your CV and covering letter to a specific job, you are much more likely to get it :smile:
Original post by cultlogic

Yes, it's best to type out a cover letter. It's even better if you create a personalised cover letter with a couple of reasons to why you want to work for that particular company. When I worked in retail, loads of teenagers would give out scruffy CVs with no cover letter and it looked very half arsed. Needless to say, many of those CVs went straight into the shredder:rolleyes:
Reply 11
OK, thanks guys! :smile:
Reply 12
I disagree with most of you, we are looking for a junior to assist with comms to retailers and general office work in our Peterborough Office. We are a small business and would be happy to take on somebody that wants holiday work.

It's hard to understand we have advertised the vacancy for 2 + plus months and have had little interest.

The problem is most are happy to take benefits rather than work and get some sort of training and experience!

email if your'e interested.:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending