The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by High As A Kite
ohh, thanks for the reply :smile: I dont think I could live without an ensuite having had one for a long time!

Reagardless of price, which ensuite accomadation would you say was the best? (for social reasons, cleanliness :s-smilie: ladies :hubba: lol kidding )

In terms of socialness I've heard it goes-
Campus standard
Campus ensuite
Village
City Centre

Like you I really want an ensuite and somewhere pretty sociable so I'm going for campus ensuite. Apparently the village is more popular with international students and has smaller flats.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 1081
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
As a medic I only had 4 accommodation types to chose from (village/campus ensuite/campus standard/campus shared room) but I don't know if this is the same for nursing :dontknow:

I suppose the other options (orwell/wolfson and mary chapman and studio) are relatively small so they probably won't have enough to allocate one 'block' to that group if that makes sense.

High As A Kite

You choose from a list of types like

Campus ensuite
Studio
Village
Campus standard
Campus shared
Orwell/wolfson
City centre standard

I think that's all the options. They are in order of cost (or were last time I checked, roughly) They then allocate buildings themselves. The buildings within one category are really similar, if not identical- there are some differences but not anything major. Mainly flat size.

I will try and give a general gist but it's very personal:

Campus standard/shared
These are norfolk/suffolk terrace. They are the cool looking ziggurat buildings. They have shared bathrooms, the 'shared' means you also share a bedroom with one other person (although sometimes you get one person in a room for two). They are close to all the campus things. They are known for being good for parties. They are cheaper than ensuite campus and the village.

Campus ensuite
These are pretty new buildings. They are pretty social, more of a 'going out' atmosphere, most expensive. Very close to everything on campus.

Village
Cheaper than ensuite campus but still get own bathroom. About 10 mins walk from the centre of campus. Smaller flats of about 6-8. More of a 'calm' atmosphere (still go out and party etc) just more... family like? Like eating together and stuff? It's very hard to describe the atmosphere difference, you just kind of 'know' when you hear people talk about them lol.

Studio
Share a flat and bathroom with 1 other person, own bedroom. Don't know much about these!

Orwell/wolfson
Shared shower rooms (like rooms with cubicled showers). Small, next door to campus ensuite. Known for togetherness!

Mary Chapman
In town- much cheaper than others (can use extra to get a bus pass with leftovers). Again smaller, with smaller flats of 6 (I think they're all 6). Looks a bit dingy from the outside but not so bad (know someone who lived there and really enjoyed it). Disadvantage of possibly feeling 'out of the loop' and being far from the LCR for nights out but close to town and good if you want to get to know norwich in your first year instead of staying in the 'student bubble' of campus.

I just looked- they used to have a bit about each halls in the handbook but looks like they don't any more!

Hope this helps a little.
xxxx
Reply 1082
ohh, thanks for the reply :smile: I dont think I could live without an ensuite having had one for a long time!

Reagardless of price, which ensuite accomadation would you say was the best? (for social reasons, cleanliness :s-smilie: ladies :hubba: lol kidding )

Socially it would probably be the terraces, Norfolk and Suffolk - no ensuite though! I live in one of the campus ensuite blocks (Britten House) and really love it, it's still very sociable but since there's no communal toilets it's not as great for flat parties and the likes. Get to know some people in the terraces though and you get the best of both worlds :awesome: cleanliness.. yeah none in particular win on that. Students are mucky puppies. Where cost isn't an issue though, I'd say campus ensuite over the village - larger rooms/ensuites, more people per flat, larger kitchen (in most flats anyway! layout can vary), more convenient (not that the village is remotely far away to be fair) - though I may be slightly biased..
Original post by kpwxx

Original post by kpwxx
I suppose the other options (orwell/wolfson and mary chapman and studio) are relatively small so they probably won't have enough to allocate one 'block' to that group if that makes sense.

Well, our allocation was basically:

En-suite - Colman
Village - Yew or Beech
Standard - Norfolk
Shared room - Norfolk

With the odd exception :p:
Original post by mhk123
I was wondering if those doing nursing and other subjects that have a longer year can still choose any accomodation or are they restricted to certain ones because of the need to be their longer?

kpwxx has pretty much answered your question about how we allocate students on medical courses but in case you are still wondering I can clear this up for you.

As a nursing student you will still have the same types of accommodation choices as everyone else but there are only certain buildings that we allocate you too. This means that you will still be able to pick Ensuite Campus, Village, Norfolk/Suffolk etc but we group students on Nursing, Medicine or Physio courses together. This is so we can make sure that the room you have will be available into the summer period as over the summer a lot of our residences are used for conferences and you wouldn't want conference guests tramping though your house every day!

So that you are not spending time with just students from medical courses only half of the people in your flat will be from this type of course. The other students in your flat will be a mix from all the other types of courses the UEA offers.

Hope this answers your question, let me know if you need anything else.
Whoa flicking back through the pages, people are naming so many different places!

Can someone break it down please?

Do you get given a preference, then allocated a random place?

Its going to sound cheesy but asking people for a favourite is not going to work as all of our residences are soemones favourite (yes, even Mary Chapman Court before anyone asks)!

What you need to do is look at your budget and what things are most important to you. If you think that you would like to spend the extra to get that ensuite go for that but if you think you are not really fussed about your own private shower and the extra money may come in handy somewhere else go for one of our standard options.

When you ask what the atmosphere is like that's also difficult as it pretty much will change every year depending on the students that are in the particular buildings. I have buildings that I look after now that this year are completely different to how they were last year (or the year before that) just because of who lives there. People can tell you what certain flats are like now but next year it may be a different story.

Your halls experience will be your own and what you make of it, even if you don't get your first choice don't worry about it, you will have a great time.

As I think you have been told in a previous answer you will be able to choose the type of accommodation you would like to live in, not the the actual building. We ask you to rate the types of accommodation from 1-7 (well it was 7 last year I think) with 1 being your fist choice and 7 being your least favourite. We will then allocate you accoring to these preferences and any medical or other needs you may have that you let us know about. Around 75% of people get their first choice and 95% get one of their top three.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1086
Thank you for all the replies.

I am concerned about how hot Norfolk/Suffolk terrace get as I keep reading about this.

Could you give me anymore information about this?

I hava also heard that not many places have a cooker, which do.

Thanks
Original post by mhk123
Thank you for all the replies.

I am concerned about how hot Norfolk/Suffolk terrace get as I keep reading about this.

Could you give me anymore information about this?

I hava also heard that not many places have a cooker, which do.

Thanks

Only Mary Champan Court has a conventional oven, the others have a microwave oven, this does exactly the same thing.
Original post by jelly1000
ats.

Original post by kpwxx
I

Hope this helps a little.
xxxx

Original post by Lucyyy
Sd..

Original post by UEAAccommodation
Iree.

Thank you so much for your time and effort. i really, really appreciate it !:smile:

you've all collectively answered vital questions, so thank you once again X-X
Thank you so much for your time and effort. i really, really appreciate it !:smile:

you've all collectively answered vital questions, so thank you once again X-X

Glad to be of assistance. Maybe I'll be even more helpful once I'm actually there.
Reply 1090
UEAAccommodation

Hey, I thought on here would be a quick way to ask (and would probably show up on google if other people are in the same situation as me.

I staying in the village last year and am filling in my census at the moment, and I need to put down the address I was at this time last year. I'm not really sure what to put- my postal address, or another 'official' address (I know the postcode is different). Could you let me know what address I need to put?

xxx
Hi, I'm torn between the village ensuite and the campus ensuite. Originally, I thought the campus ensuite would be best, as it's bigger and closer to everything, but then I thought I'd go for the village 'cause it's quieter. My mum wasn't keen though.

Can anyone who stayed in the campus ensuite or the village ensuite tell me what it's like to live there, if possible? :smile: And is there a shop or anything in the village, or is it just accomodation?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1092
Original post by ThePurpleRose
Hi, I'm torn between the village ensuite and the campus ensuite. Originally, I thought the campus ensuite would be best, as it's bigger and closer to everything, but then I thought I'd go for the village 'cause it's quieter. My mum wasn't keen though.

Can anyone who stayed in the campus ensuite or the village ensuite tell me what it's like to live there, if possible? :smile: And is there a shop or anything in the village, or is it just accomodation?

Thanks! :smile:

I'm in the Village. What's it like? Well it's fine.

The room is like a small sort of motel room in Scandinavia - functional, compact, newish furnishings. It's about 5m long, 2m at its widest, and about a metre from the bed to the desk, which is long and has shelving overhead. There is a small plastic cupboard which is the bathroom - it's like the bathroom on a North Sea ferry. That gets cleaned once a week, but the room you have to clean yourself (or not - nobody's going to chase you up about it).Big window which opens fully, or from the top. Pretty warm in here - don't ever need the radiator on. One big cupboard and more storage space under the bed. Small plastic chair. Thick green curtain.

There's no shop here, but it's a 10 minute walk up Earlham Road to the Tesco Express, and there's a bigger Co-op just behind that. There is a laundrette here though. 6 washers, 4 driers. £2 a wash, 50p for 12 minutes drying.

8 flats in each half of the block, 3 floors to each block. Communal kitchen, which is fine - 2 small fridges and one bigger freezer. 4 hobs, grill, microwave which doubles as a conventional oven. Small cupboards for food storage. Shelves for pans.

It's a normal block of flats really. My block's pretty quiet (fortunately), but downstairs they often sit round in the kitchen of an evening, or head out in a group to the LCR or Mercy. We are a real mix of people: our ages are 40, 37, 36, 28, 20, 20, 19 and 18 respectively. 4 guys, 4 girls. 5 UK, 3 international. We get up at all hours, go to uni (10 minute walk down Chancellor Drive) come back throughout the day, meet in the kitchen. Sometimes we cook for each other - there's usually people in the kitchen from 7pm onwards. Sometimes we'll go up to the Asda in someone's car for a big shop. We often borrow things off each other - milk etc, and there's no hassle about it if you replace it. Last year they had a food thief which created a bad vibe, but this year it's all good. It's a really nice little community, actually.
Original post by Jez RR

The room is like a small sort of motel room in Scandinavia - functional, compact, newish furnishings. It's about 5m long, 2m at its widest, and about a metre from the bed to the desk, which is long and has shelving overhead. There is a small plastic cupboard which is the bathroom - it's like the bathroom on a North Sea ferry. That gets cleaned once a week, but the room you have to clean yourself (or not - nobody's going to chase you up about it).Big window which opens fully, or from the top. Pretty warm in here - don't ever need the radiator on. One big cupboard and more storage space under the bed. Small plastic chair. Thick green curtain.

There's no shop here, but it's a 10 minute walk up Earlham Road to the Tesco Express, and there's a bigger Co-op just behind that. There is a laundrette here though. 6 washers, 4 driers. £2 a wash, 50p for 12 minutes drying.

8 flats in each half of the block, 3 floors to each block. Communal kitchen, which is fine - 2 small fridges and one bigger freezer. 4 hobs, grill, microwave which doubles as a conventional oven. Small cupboards for food storage. Shelves for pans.

It's a normal block of flats really. My block's pretty quiet (fortunately), but downstairs they often sit round in the kitchen of an evening, or head out in a group to the LCR or Mercy. We are a real mix of people: our ages are 40, 37, 36, 28, 20, 20, 19 and 18 respectively. 4 guys, 4 girls. 5 UK, 3 international. We get up at all hours, go to uni (10 minute walk down Chancellor Drive) come back throughout the day, meet in the kitchen. Sometimes we cook for each other - there's usually people in the kitchen from 7pm onwards. Sometimes we'll go up to the Asda in someone's car for a big shop. We often borrow things off each other - milk etc, and there's no hassle about it if you replace it. Last year they had a food thief which created a bad vibe, but this year it's all good. It's a really nice little community, actually.

Thank you! :biggrin: This is really, really helpful.

Can I bother you again to ask if you know if it's much quieter in the village than on campus?

Thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 1094
Original post by Jez RR

Great post, sums it up very well :smile:

There's also a small corner shop and a pharmacy not more than 5 minutes walk (in the direction away from the village. I lived there last year but only know about this shop cause I got the 21/22 bus t my fiance's house!
Original post by kpwxx
Hey, I thought on here would be a quick way to ask (and would probably show up on google if other people are in the same situation as me.

I staying in the village last year and am filling in my census at the moment, and I need to put down the address I was at this time last year. I'm not really sure what to put- my postal address, or another 'official' address (I know the postcode is different). Could you let me know what address I need to put?

xxx

I've just spoken to the census man who has set up residence in our back office so have an answer for you!

He says that you can just get away with putting University of East Anglia Halls of Residence and leave it at that if you like. However your actual postal address would be more accurate. I know the village has a different physical postcode but don't worry about that.

In case you have forgotten its (and this goes for everyone that didn't live in Mary Chapman Court):

(Your name)
(Your Hall - Don't worry about your room number if you don't remember it)
Norwich
Norfolk
NR4 7TJ

For those who were in MCC its

(Your name)
Mary Chapman Court
Duke Street
Norwich
Norfolk
NR3 3DX
Original post by Jez RR
That gets cleaned once a week, but the room you have to clean yourself (or not - nobody's going to chase you up about it).

We do if it gets too bad!
Reply 1097
Original post by UEAAccommodation
We do if it gets too bad!

Ah well, I'm in no danger of that, fortunately :smile:

I have a census related question for you as well. If we fill it out online do we still need to sign the paper declaration as well as put the code on the front? Can't seem to find instructions for that one.
Original post by Jez RR

Oh my, ok, it sounds REALLY good but you clinched it for me when you said 'Co op!' :awesome: I don't have one near me and it's the bane of my existance! :tongue: :wink:
Original post by Jez RR
Ah well, I'm in no danger of that, fortunately :smile:

I have a census related question for you as well. If we fill it out online do we still need to sign the paper declaration as well as put the code on the front? Can't seem to find instructions for that one.

OK, I've spoken to the census people for you on this and they say that it's probably a good idea to to still sign the form even if you fill it out online. They are going to find out for certain for me tonight but I would sign it and put it back in the envelope when you bring it in to us.

EDIT - I've just had an email from the census people - you DON'T need to sign the form if you fill it in online. We just need the envelope with your code written on it back here in the office instead.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending