The Student Room Group

Why am I being rejected for Med?

I have only one of my choices left, having been rejected from all my other applications, and I'm not at all sure why.

A brief outline of my background: I am 26 years old and I left school with pretty awful grades (6 Cs and 3 Ds). I subsequently worked in a bar for 4-5 years and then went travelling for a year. When I returned, I took a job as a carer for people with mental disabilties. I worked here for two years and it was during this time that I first began to consider going to medical school. After careful consideration and some soul searching, I decided to go for it. I used my savings to pay to study 9 GCSEs through the NEC (a disance learning provider). I completed my GCSEs two years ago and achieved 8 A*s and an A. I am currently studying for A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I took my AS levels last Summer and achieved AAA. I have also taken my UKCAT and got 708 (which I understand is pretty good), and yet I am still being rejected without even being interviewed.

So, in summary, I have decent GCSEs and AS levels, a good UKCAT score, two years experience in a caring role and a personal statement my tutor described as "inspiring". So why on earth am I still being rejected? :confused: Have I wasted my money, three years of my life and a whole lot of effort for nothing? I am verily frustrated to tears. :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Medicine is like that, the competition is huge and most people have fantastic applications as well. What universities did you apply to and what other work experience do you have as well as caring for those with metal disabilities?
Reply 2
Original post by Normandy114
Medicine is like that, the competition is huge and most people have fantastic applications as well. What universities did you apply to and what other work experience do you have as well as caring for those with metal disabilities?

I applied to Birmingham, Sheffield, St Georges and HYMS. My only other job was working in a bar for about 4 years (I had little ambition or direction at this point in my life).
Reply 3
Wow, that seems like a very good application, it sucks that you weren't even given an interview. Please don't give up. I know you're frustrated but seriously, you can try again next year.

I don't want to sound patronising but are you picking the universities that you're likely to get in to?

Edit: Have you shadowed any doctors? Sometimes that helps.
Original post by Chucklefiend
I applied to Birmingham, Sheffield, St Georges and HYMS. My only other job was working in a bar for about 4 years (I had little ambition or direction at this point in my life).

That's too bad, I know Birmingham/Sheffield love GCSEs/UKCAT respectively, both of which you have really good results in. Maybe it's your lack of clinical work experience? Most medical schools want people to know exactly what being a doctor is like (i.e. not scrubs/house/casualty/ER), and understand that a lot of the job is paperwork and long hours. It's so competitive the last thing they want is someone to quit a year or two in because they can't stand being a doctor
Reply 5
I have only one of my choices left, having been rejected from all my other applications, and I'm not at all sure why.

A brief outline of my background: I am 26 years old and I left school with pretty awful grades (6 Cs and 3 Ds). I subsequently worked in a bar for 4-5 years and then went travelling for a year. When I returned, I took a job as a carer for people with mental disabilties. I worked here for two years and it was during this time that I first began to consider going to medical school. After careful consideration and some soul searching, I decided to go for it. I used my savings to pay to study 9 GCSEs through the NEC (a disance learning provider). I completed my GCSEs two years ago and achieved 8 A*s and an A. I am currently studying for A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I took my AS levels last Summer and achieved AAA. I have also taken my UKCAT and got 708 (which I understand is pretty good), and yet I am still being rejected without even being interviewed.

So, in summary, I have decent GCSEs and AS levels, a good UKCAT score, two years experience in a caring role and a personal statement my tutor described as "inspiring". So why on earth am I still being rejected? :confused: Have I wasted my money, three years of my life and a whole lot of effort for nothing? I am verily frustrated to tears. :frown:

Long shot, but try writing to them for feedback?
Do some of them want more than 3 AS levels?
Did you double check the GCSE requirements etc?

It may be worth contacting all med schools to ask what their take is on your circumstances, ie. tell them your background and ask if you meet their requirements? So you can find med schools you def meet the requirements for

Don't give up. It's really tough, even if you have all the grades etc. A number of people get rejected and reapply the next year and get in. Even with a great application, it can be a bit of a lottery
Reply 6
Original post by Normandy114
That's too bad, I know Birmingham/Sheffield love GCSEs/UKCAT respectively, both of which you have really good results in. Maybe it's your lack of clinical work experience? Most medical schools want people to know exactly what being a doctor is like (i.e. not scrubs/house/casualty/ER), and understand that a lot of the job is paperwork and long hours. It's so competitive the last thing they want is someone to quit a year or two in because they can't stand being a doctor

Sheffield is the one I'm yet to hear back from, so fingers crossed. I guess you have a point, I do lack clinical experience, it would have been difficult to fit in work experience (I still work 16 hours a week as a carer while doing my A levels). Perhaps, if I don't get in this year I can use next year to get some clinical experience, thanks for your advice.
Reply 7

Sheffield- cut off was 717.5
HYMS- they have certain place for mature student and grads. You probably didn't get in do to not having a degree and competing with those that do?

Also in general, since you resat your GCSE, usually most medical school don't consider retakes unless in extenuating circumstances. So that might have been the reason? Did you get any interviews?
Reply 8
Original post by Gowrav

Also in general, since you resat your GCSE, usually most medical school don't consider retakes unless in extenuating circumstances. So that might have been the reason?

I was wondering about this too. Check with the admissions departments whether they would accept you!
Reply 9
Sheffield is the one I'm yet to hear back from, so fingers crossed. I guess you have a point, I do lack clinical experience, it would have been difficult to fit in work experience (I still work 16 hours a week as a carer while doing my A levels). Perhaps, if I don't get in this year I can use next year to get some clinical experience, thanks for your advice.

But surely working as a carer for 2 years is good experience?

Sounds like more than most candidates tbh.

Getting more wouldn't hurt though.
Original post by Gowrav
HYMS- they have certain place for mature student and grads. You probably didn't get in do to not having a degree and competing with those that do?

Also in general, since you resat your GCSE, usually most medical school don't consider retakes unless in extenuating circumstances. So that might have been the reason? Did you get any interviews?

I said in my application that I left school without sitting my GCSEs. Further, I chose different exam boards for each subject and sat them eight years after the first time I took GCSEs. So, as far as the medical schools are concerned, I have not done resits. - Also, I thought it was resits of A levels modules medical schools were pedantic about? Anyway, I guess it could be the reason I was rejected.

And no, I didn't get any interviews.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
I said in my application that I left school without sitting my GCSEs. Further, I chose different exam boards for each subject and sat them eight years after the first time I took GCSEs. So, as far as the medical schools are concerned, I have not done resits. - Also, I thought it was resits of A levels modules medical schools were pedantic about? Anyway, I guess it could be the reason I was rejected.

Hmm, I would ring them up/ask for feed back, thats your best bet. Then either re-apply or do post grad.
Reply 12

You lied?
Original post by aura1947
You lied?

I didn't obliquely lie. I simply didn't include the GCSEs I sat 10 years ago in my qualifications on my UCAS form.
Reply 14
Original post by aura1947
You lied?

Thats what I was thinking.
I admire your attitude and ambition to study medicine.

I've given up. :frown:
Reply 16
I didn't obliquely lie. I simply didn't include the GCSEs I sat 10 years ago in my qualifications on my UCAS form.

But you didn't leave school without doing any GCSE's did you? You just didn't get the grades that would be required for medical school. Also leaving it off of your UCAS form could be seen as lying by omission. You have to include all of your grades received regardless of when.

It may also have been that your personal statement was lacking something, is very difficult to say without feedback. The fact that you didn't get any interviews indicates that it could be anything from your PS/Grades/Reference/Experience.
Reply 17

Birmingham love A*s. Unfortunately, 8 A*s isn't good enough for them funnily enough. I've emailed them in the pass and they said that you need around 9 A*s plus.

St. George's want AAAb. You only have three AS. If you did have four AS you would have been guaranteed an interview.

Sheffield- UKCAT:
Original post by Gowrav
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm not sure if this helps at all, but St. Georges guarantee an interview to everyone predicted AAAb min. So that might be due to you not having a 4th AS?

EDIT: just saw this has already been seen
Maybe it was the fact you've had to re-take your GCSEs. Saying you left school without any is hardly making a good impression.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending