The Student Room Group

French: past/imperfect tense

Can you please help me fill in the gap using past tense or imperfect:

1) Quand j'étais plus jeune ___ des confiseries (manger)
2) Le weekend dernier ___ des frites (manger)
3) L'année dernière ___ de la voile (faire)
4) Dans le passé ___ de la natation (faire)
5) Quand j'étais un adolescent je ne ___ pas (fumer)
6) La semaine dernière ___ trop de cigarettes (fumer)

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

This doesn't make sense.

Unless:

1) Je mangeais
2) J'ai mangé
3) J'ai fais
4) Je faisais
5) Je ne fumais pas
6) J'ai fumé

Welcome :smile:
3) is j'ai fait?
Reply 3
Original post by year9sucks
Can you please help me fill in the gap using past tense or imperfect:

1) Quand j'étais plus jeune ___ des confiseries (manger)
2) Le weekend dernier ___ des frites (manger)
4) Dans le passé ___ de la natation (faire)
5) Quand j'étais un adolescent je ne ___ pas (fumer)
6) La semaine dernière ___ trop de cigarettes (fumer)

Thank you!

Are we, by any chance, doing your homework for you?
Original post by SaveItForTheMorning
3) is j'ai fait?

yes it is.
Reply 5
Original post by Tootles
Are we, by any chance, doing your homework for you?

I think so because there was no question to explain the rules for the use of passé composé or imparfait.
Reply 6
If it's a single self-contained action, use perfect. If it's a habitual, repeated or continuous action, use imperfect.
Reply 7
Original post by Cynthi007
I think so because there was no question to explain the rules for the use of passé composé or imparfait.

Heh, I just read the OP's posts. They're all asking for us to do their homework.
Reply 8
Original post by coolblergh
2) J'ai mangé
3) J'ai fais
6) J'ai fumé

Original post by LysFromParis
yes it is.

Why is it not past indicative/simple past/preterite/whatever the French call it?
Reply 9
Why are all of your posts asking people to "help" you with your homework? You do realise you can't take TSR into your exams right?
Reply 10
Omelette du fromage - Dexter's Lab.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Hylean
Why is it not past indicative/simple past/preterite/whatever the French call it?

Because it's current French. If you were writting you could say :

L'année dernière, Jean-Pierre fit de la voile le temps d'un week-end.

But usually you would say :

L'année dernière, Jean-Pierre a fait de la voile le temps d'un week-end.

The meaning is strictly the same.

We could also say :

L'année dernière, Jean-Pierre faisait de la voile.

But it will mean that he took lessons/travelled during a whole year, while the two previous sentence means he did it for a short period of time (that's why I added le temps d'un week end).

L'année dernière, Jean-Pierre a fait de la voile.

You will understand he did it during holidays or something.

So for this question imparfait could also work as there is a lack of context to choose the "right" tense.
Original post by MathsLord
Omelette du fromage.

Omelette au fromage.
Reply 13
Omelette au fromage.

Yeah, I know it's spelt that way. I was quoting from Dexter's Lab.
Original post by MathsLord
Yeah, I know it's spelt that way. I was quoting from Dexter's Lab.

Sorry I have no idea what Dexter's Lab is ^^.
Reply 15
Sorry I have no idea what Dexter's Lab is ^^.

Oh don't worry. It's a cartoon.
Reply 16
*snips*

Whilst all that's perfectly true, it doesn't actually answer my question. Saying it's Modern French doesn't explain the function shift. Why is the Perfect Tense suddenly being used where the Preterite/Simple Past/Past Indicative/Whatever It's Called in French was used before? This is why I also referenced the other post, which uses the Perfect in 2,3 and 6, where I would've chosen the Past Indicative.
Original post by Hylean
Whilst all that's perfectly true, it doesn't actually answer my question. Saying it's Modern French doesn't explain the function shift. Why is the Perfect Tense suddenly being used where the Preterite/Simple Past/Past Indicative/Whatever It's Called in French was used before? This is why I also referenced the other post, which uses the Perfect in 2,3 and 6, where I would've chosen the Past Indicative.

It's not modern/old french, it's written/academic vs spoken/common French. It is two different context, I suppose you have a similar distinction in English ? Your answer is totally correct, it's just not spoken French.

Why we shifted from passé simple to passé composé, that I have no idea. We just have two different level of language.
Reply 18
It's not modern/old french, it's written/academic vs spoken/common French. It is two different context, I suppose you have a similar distinction in English ? Your answer is totally correct, it's just not spoken French.

Why we shifted from passé simple to passé composé, that I have no idea. We just have two different level of language.

Nyah, spoken language is always more evolved than written language so technically it could be called Modern as opposed to written, though it'd be a false dichotomy, so you're right there.

Every language that has a written version and a spoken version has a different version for each. The spoken is generally simpler than the written, which is why I find it interesting that spoken French has decided to use a more complicated construction.
Reply 19
It's Passé Simple. And we use the Passé composé simply because it's informal. The passé simple tends to disappear and to be reduced to very formal or old-fashioned speech, or narration. Maybe it is similar to "is it not?" and "isn't it?".

The reason why we use the passé composé is because it's simpler. Longer maybe but simpler to use. The structure is [present form of Avoir/Être] + [Past participle], it's easy and there are almost no irregulars. While the passé simple has many (Il fut, il eut, etc). Might also be because it's usually simpler to pronounce: compare Nous fîmes de la natation and Nous avons fait de la natation (or even On a fait de la natation) for instance.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending