The Student Room Group

Do A2 grades matter beyond undergraduate entry?

We all know that certain grades are required to get into university, but do our grades matter after that?

For example, will they count towards FY1 placements or beyond, in applying for specific posts?

Scroll to see replies

For certain jobs they might look at what grades you got. Once you have gone to uni though i dont think they matter that much. If you havent gone to uni and go straight to get a job they may matter more though.
Reply 2
Original post by Emma:-)
For certain jobs they might look at what grades you got. Once you have gone to uni though i dont think they matter that much. If you havent gone to uni and go straight to get a job they may matter more though.

I know that's true of jobs in general, but I was asking specifically about careers in medicine, hence the sub-forum! :smile:
Reply 3
Almost certainly not, ever.
Well since you need AAA to get into medical school, surely this questions a bit... pointless? Since everyone will pretty much have the same grades. Although I would imagine after 5 years of training they'd have something more to go on than irrelevant A levels.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Nope. They won't give a flying anything when you're looking for a job in medicine over a levels. They have nothing to do with anything you will practise as a doctor.
Reply 6
Original post by wabbajack123
Well since you need AAA to get into medical school, surely this questions a bit... pointless?
What about those of us who didn't?
Original post by Renal
What about those of us who didn't?

I suppose he's asking for his year group though? In which case they've all got AAB or higher.
I just applied for an intercalated degree and had to list my A Levels on my application form, and was asked (very briefly) about them at interview. I realise you're talking more about post grad situations, but this is an example of my grades counting beyond getting into medical school.
Reply 9
I suppose he's asking for his year group though? In which case they've all got AAB or higher.

Quite a difference (visually at least, I'd dispute academically) between AAB and A*A*A* though.
Original post by chloemo14
Quite a difference (visually at least, I'd dispute academically) between AAB and A*A*A* though.

I suppose to quite a few people that would look like quite a difference! However everyone should realise that the difference between an A and an A* is tiny and hardly based on academic merit! Congrats on your offers btw :smile: are you firming UCL or Bristol?
Reply 11
However everyone should realise that the difference between an A and an A* is tiny and hardly based on academic merit!

I humbly disagree with that. There is a massive chasm of difference between an A and an A*, extremely different grades. But I agree that it's not based on academic merit.
Original post by Beska
I humbly disagree with that. There is a massive chasm of difference between an A and an A*, extremely different grades. But I agree that it's not based on academic merit.

Sorry that's what I was going for :tongue: there is a huge difference, but it's hardly like the difference between a B and an A where you actually have to know the stuff. Rather you just have to know the mark schemes in a obsessive like way :/ It doesn't really seem to be based on how well you know the subject (queue OCR biology :tongue: )

Wow! quoted by renal and beska in less than 24 hours! I'm rather proud of this :biggrin: man I need to get out more...
Reply 13
Sorry that's what I was going for :tongue: there is a huge difference, but it's hardly like the difference between a B and an A where you actually have to know the stuff. Rather you just have to know the mark schemes in a obsessive like way :/ It doesn't really seem to be based on how well you know the subject (queue OCR biology :tongue: )

Wow! quoted by renal and beska in less than 24 hours! I'm rather proud of this :biggrin: man I need to get out more...

Ha yeh, I agree with you completely then! :p:
Original post by Beska

Depends on how well you've done at AS - for me in Latin the difference is 30% which admittedly is a bit of a chasm, but in Chemistry where my UMS weren't great it only comes down to 10% which could easily go either way depending on the exam :dontknow:
I suppose to quite a few people that would look like quite a difference! However everyone should realise that the difference between an A and an A* is tiny and hardly based on academic merit! Congrats on your offers btw :smile: are you firming UCL or Bristol?

Thanks! 90% sure I'll end up firming Bristol although my love for UCL possibly inches it out minimally, but finances and realism sadly are at the front of my mind :tongue: Are you applying this cycle?
Reply 16
Depends on how well you've done at AS - for me in Latin the difference is 30% which admittedly is a bit of a chasm, but in Chemistry where my UMS weren't great it only comes down to 10% which could easily go either way depending on the exam :dontknow:

Well the A* grade only really cares about your A2 marks and in my experience once you start getting 87%, 88%, etc. it gets exponentially harder to gain extra marks and push through that glass ceiling of 90%. I put it down to the fact that for the first 85%~ you can get your marks from 'new' questions: so you can get 2/3 marks on a question relatively easily, but getting the final mark (so 3/3) is a lot more difficult, so pushing up above 90% is really difficult. All imo obviously!
Original post by Beska
Well the A* grade only really cares about your A2 marks and in my experience once you start getting 87%, 88%, etc. it gets exponentially harder to gain extra marks and push through that glass ceiling of 90%. I put it down to the fact that for the first 85%~ you can get your marks from 'new' questions: so you can get 2/3 marks on a question relatively easily, but getting the final mark (so 3/3) is a lot more difficult, so pushing up above 90% is really difficult. All imo obviously!

Oh I know it's based on the aggregate of your A2 module marks, I just meant that the % difference between an A and an A* is based on your performance at AS :smile: But yes, I would definitely agree with that - and that's where being a slave to the mark scheme comes in I guess, given that often getting the final mark(s) on a question is just a case of reading it in the way they intended and framing your answer thus - in science subjects anyway. I think it probably has more value in arts.
Thanks! 90% sure I'll end up firming Bristol although my love for UCL possibly inches it out minimally, but finances and realism sadly are at the front of my mind :tongue: Are you applying this cycle?

Yeh :smile: so far I've had a cheeky offer from the brummys of AAA which I've half successfully pushed down to AA (since I already have a maths A level) and should hear from Cardiff in the next couple of weeks. Rejection from Kings and Edinburgh though but both are a bit too expensive for me to study for 5 years so I'm not too disheartened :smile: I really want an offer from Cardiff though!!!
Reply 19
Well since you need AAA to get into medical school, surely this questions a bit... pointless? .

What about grad entrants?
For some grad entry courses you dont need any alevels just a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending