The Student Room Group

Tesco graduate programme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
im not on options (site wouldnt work) and glad. i was told last sunday at work my hours are being changed to saturday night (horrible shift) and if i dont like it, 4 weeks notice and sacked.

i've got a meeting tomorrow. its a joke.
I'm a Customer Service Manager in Tesco,
I joined the company on the "A Level Options Scheme"(advertised on TSR), which was a fast track management program, you only needed A levels to join, and in 6 months you make Line manager, circa 20-22k pa.

there were around 4000 applicants, and about 30 successful people, i was one of those, and it took me 5 months longer than the original term, but, on the whole, it was worth it.
And Work Samples are quite difficult at times, as there is so much that we're not allowed to let them do.

but ultimately, once you've had a management job in Tesco, anything else in retail going forward is going to be easy to get, and theres also management skills, which if you dont have before you start(I didn't) you gain, and quckly.
Does anyone have their assessment centre for tesco on 15th March. Very nervous and not sure what to expect. Any advice anybody?
Reply 23
Hey Kerry, Mine is on 15th March in Hatfield. Dont worry I'm sure everyone is nervous (I am! lol). Im trying to get hold of one of the graduates who I met who Started the Grad scheme in September. She had her assessment centre last year. I met her on my work sample. I will let you know what she has to say if I get through to her.

Just enjoy it and be yourself. Will see you there!
Reply 24
Oh and good luck hun x
Every little helps :wink:
Reply 26
Original post by scott gibson
Every little helps :wink:

lol
Thanks ... Good Luck to you as well. =) xx
Reply 28
Got offered a place on the Graduate Programme! Soooooo Happy!!!!! :-)
My work sample day was also awful. I arrived at 8.30 the manager told me to wait in a room for another graduate to arrive. When she did we were told we would be shelf stacking with a member of staff for the first part of the morning. I thought no problem as we were meant to be there til 5pm so we would have a chance to do other aspects of work.
However after a quick 10 minute break (which ended up being the only break we had in the entire day!) we were told to carry on shelf stacking. The manager was short staffed and apparently needed all the help possible. Most of the time I was shelf stacking by myself as the staff were needed on the tills, and another time I was shelf stacking with the other graduate who was there that day. How we were meant to learn anything from the day was unbelievable! I basically learnt how to stack shelves. What I found most annoying however is how a manager can pass judgement on whether i have the skills to be management when I had the opportunity to speak to him for about 2 minutes throughout the entire day?!
The day was a bit of a shambles to be honest, and I dont think it is fair to put people who are truly excited at the opportunity of gaining a place on the graduate scheme, into a shop which is understaffed and not giving people a fair chance to prove what they are capable of. I did not gain a place on the graduate scheme, I was not given feedback in the email from Tesco but i basic 'im sorry but we wish you every success in the future'
It sad really, but i think everyone who gains a work sample place is just a number that Tesco has to fill. There is no real concern about gaining an understanding about the person who is applying for the position. In my case I was there to simply assist the manager get a back log of stock out onto the shelves.
Reply 30
Original post by mrsgmq
Got offered a place on the Graduate Programme! Soooooo Happy!!!!! :-)

Congratulations @mrsgmq! You must have really impressed them - have they explained to you where you are working or drafted up a contract for you?

I was wondering whether you could give me a brief overview of the assessment day that you went to - what did you do, how many other people were there and anything else you wouldn't mind sharing!

Mine is on Wed 6th April - well done again!

Reply 31
Hi, just wondering how long it took for Tesco to get back to you all after attending the assessment centre? :smile:
Reply 32
Got an email earlier this evening saying I've been offered a position with Tesco - So relieved! :-)
Reply 33
Original post by jimbo19-19

Original post by jimbo19-19
Got an email earlier this evening saying I've been offered a position with Tesco - So relieved! :-)

congrats! :smile:
Reply 34
Thanks, have you heard anything back from Tesco yet?
Reply 35
Original post by jenny_sutton_87
My work sample day was also awful. I arrived at 8.30 the manager told me to wait in a room for another graduate to arrive. When she did we were told we would be shelf stacking with a member of staff for the first part of the morning. I thought no problem as we were meant to be there til 5pm so we would have a chance to do other aspects of work.
However after a quick 10 minute break (which ended up being the only break we had in the entire day!) we were told to carry on shelf stacking. The manager was short staffed and apparently needed all the help possible. Most of the time I was shelf stacking by myself as the staff were needed on the tills, and another time I was shelf stacking with the other graduate who was there that day. How we were meant to learn anything from the day was unbelievable! I basically learnt how to stack shelves. What I found most annoying however is how a manager can pass judgement on whether i have the skills to be management when I had the opportunity to speak to him for about 2 minutes throughout the entire day?!
The day was a bit of a shambles to be honest, and I dont think it is fair to put people who are truly excited at the opportunity of gaining a place on the graduate scheme, into a shop which is understaffed and not giving people a fair chance to prove what they are capable of. I did not gain a place on the graduate scheme, I was not given feedback in the email from Tesco but i basic 'im sorry but we wish you every success in the future'
It sad really, but i think everyone who gains a work sample place is just a number that Tesco has to fill. There is no real concern about gaining an understanding about the person who is applying for the position. In my case I was there to simply assist the manager get a back log of stock out onto the shelves.

:eek: This is shocking... Sorry they behaved like that. I am not applying to Tesco, just happened to click the thread, but actually find it outragous that they treat their potential graduate recruits like this and don't make any effort or give them a real chance :frown: I would have been so gutted and annoyed in your position
Reply 36
Original post by oOHollyOo
:eek: This is shocking... Sorry they behaved like that. I am not applying to Tesco, just happened to click the thread, but actually find it outragous that they treat their potential graduate recruits like this and don't make any effort or give them a real chance :frown: I would have been so gutted and annoyed in your position

Original post by oOHollyOo

Holly, as much as I agree with you that its not on at all - I must say that I am sure it was an isolated case. I did a work sample at a Tesco store and I found it completely the opposite - the staff were helpful and I learnt a lot on the day as well as thoroughly enjoying it. This also seemed to be the case when I spoke with other graduates at the assessment centre.

So in answer to your statement, they cannot possibly treat "their potential graduates" like that - otherwise they wouldn't appear 13th within the Times top 100 most respected and sought-after graduate employers in the country! (which is compiled from face-to-face interviews with over 16,000 graduates) :smile: http://www.top100graduateemployers.com/
Reply 37
Hi all, I have gone through the process of tesco's graduate scheme and i have been offered a job with them. am sooooooooooooo happy.

it was very easy to pass. here are the phone interview questions, some are very random but hey, it worked:

Why Tesco?

Why your chosen role?

what is your favourite piece of clothing and why?

If you ever discovered a planet, how would you name it and why?

What are your core strengths and tell me about your weaknesses?

How would you deal with a naked customer or fellow employee, tell me about your thought process?

If you were a vegetable, what kind of person would you prefer to be eaten by?

What unique aspect can you bring to the company?

I know these sound weird, but i realised there was logic behind all of them.

Also for those of you who pass, you will attend an assessment centre, here you will be deeply suprised:

First, you have to introduce yourself by singing your name and the position you have applied for. then, you get put into pairs and you have to dance to the tesco theme tune 'every little helps'. (it was actually really fun and bonding experience).

Then they put us all together and we had to exchange a piece of clothing with the person on the right of us. so make sure you bring a jacket and wear a bra ladies!

after this stage you are interviewed by the director of your chosen department. this is basic competency questions and general personal hygiene questions which are easy.

Then you are offered a chance to sleep with the director in order to gain the job, but this is a trick proposition as they want to see how keen you are, so kindly refuse the proposition.

At the end of the selection process, a trained monkey will present you with an envelope but be careful because sometimes it likes to play with it and hold on to it.

finally, On my first day at work, they were all really friendly and naughty. they put glass on my chair which pierced my skin, they locked me in the toilet for two hours as a break i guess, i was stuck in the lift with a fat man who had severe gas issues. and finally i was picked up by the managing director and thrown down the stairs and now i am in the hospital recovering after breaking both my legs and my face. they are so friendly so good luck guys
Hiya Kerpau,
I'm sorry you had those difficulties with tesco. It must have been annoying indeed. But i've got a telephone interview on monday (tesco.com graduate scheme) and was wondering if you could share what questions they asked you when you had your telephone interview please x
Reply 39
Original post by alinuta2011
Hiya Kerpau,
I'm sorry you had those difficulties with tesco. It must have been annoying indeed. But i've got a telephone interview on monday (tesco.com graduate scheme) and was wondering if you could share what questions they asked you when you had your telephone interview please x

Hello there:smile:
I have my interview this coming Friday and would love to hear some advice or what they have asked you :smile: good luck with your application! X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending