The Student Room Group

Getting into med school!!!!

Big question, for me, anyway. Would I still be able to get into Med school (anywhere...) with three AS levels and the same three A-Levels?
If I get three A's in Bio, Chem and Psych at AS, then predicted the same for A-level would I have a chance of getting into med, or do we have to have 4 AS ?????

Please help! Any advice is helpful!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some universities WANT 4 AS grades

I'm sure UCL and Imperial would want 4 AS's
Of course you can! If it's not on the website in the requirements then you don't need it - say if it just says 'AAA' then having no fourth AS would put you at no disadvantage. The only problem would be applying to places like King's and Liverpool who specifically need a fourth AS.

Good luck! :smile:

Edit: According to UCAS, UCL say you need AAA and E in a fourth AS and QMUL wants AAAb. I'm afraid you'll probably have to change some of your choices... but that's the problem with medicine, you can't really choose where you apply. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by colabottles
Of course you can! If it's not on the website in the requirements then you don't need it - say if it just says 'AAA' then having no fourth AS would put you at no disadvantage. The only problem would be applying to places like King's and Liverpool who specifically need a fourth AS.
According to UCAS, UCL say you need AAA and E in a fourth AS and QMUL wants AAAb. I'm afraid you'll probably have to change some of your choices... but that's the problem with medicine, you can't really choose where you apply. :tongue:

Where do you think I can apply with 3 AS Levels?
Original post by Hennnaa
Where do you think I can apply with 3 AS Levels?

What are your GCSEs? It'll be easier to suggest some places then :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by colabottles
What are your GCSEs? It'll be easier to suggest some places then :smile:

not too amazing... :frown:
4 A's 4 B's and 2 C's
A's in three sciences and maths, B's in English (Lit. & Lang.), Geography and one of my Health & Social Care
C's in German and the other Health (H&SC is a double award)

:smile:
Original post by Hennnaa
not too amazing... :frown:
4 A's 4 B's and 2 C's
A's in three sciences and maths, B's in English (Lit. & Lang.), Geography and one of my Health & Social Care
C's in German and the other Health (H&SC is a double award)

:smile:

Don't knock yourself, your grades are fine :smile: Just avoid unis like Birmingham because they focus more on GCSEs than anything else it would seem.
Reply 7
Original post by Count Stefular
Don't knock yourself, your grades are fine :smile: Just avoid unis like Birmingham because they focus more on GCSEs than anything else it would seem.

Meh, true, not thinking of going there though, anyway :smile:
Where would I be able to apply with those GCSEs and 3 A's at AS ????
(I'm doing bio, chem, psych and maths, atm, I want to drop maths, but I guess I could still carry it on for this year and try not to fail....:confused: )
Original post by Hennnaa
Meh, true, not thinking of going there though, anyway :smile:
Where would I be able to apply with those GCSEs and 3 A's at AS ????
(I'm doing bio, chem, psych and maths, atm, I want to drop maths, but I guess I could still carry it on for this year and try not to fail....:confused: )

Imperial would also like 4 AS levels so you wouldn't be able to go there either. Have a look at the GCSE and A Level requirement pages on the TSR wiki and then check the medical school page yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by Normandy114
Imperial would also like 4 AS levels so you wouldn't be able to go there either. Have a look at the GCSE and A Level requirement pages on the TSR wiki and then check the medical school page yourself.

Really (still) want to apply to Imperial, so do you think I should carry maths on for this year...? What is the lowest grade I need to get in maths to get into any of the schools I want to apply to? (Imperial, UCL, QMUL, Southampton, KCL, SGUL...)
Original post by Hennnaa
Really (still) want to apply to Imperial, so do you think I should carry maths on for this year...? What is the lowest grade I need to get in maths to get into any of the schools I want to apply to? (Imperial, UCL, QMUL, Southampton, KCL, SGUL...)

UCL say 'A pass in a further subject at AS level or equivalent is also required.' ;
SGUL, Imperial, KCL & QMUL need a fourth subject at AS level with at least a B grade;
And I think southampton don't require a fourth AS level.
Reply 11
Original post by Normandy114
UCL say 'A pass in a further subject at AS level or equivalent is also required.' ;
SGUL, Imperial, KCL & QMUL need a fourth subject at AS level with at least a B grade;
And I think southampton don't require a fourth AS level.

So Southampton is still on my list! :biggrin:
Do you think I could do another AS in Year 13 and make up for not doing maths? (I was thinking of geography or sociology..any suggestions??) or I could do AS Gujarati/Hindi out of school (Im fluent in both) as my school doesn't do languages other than MFLs....
Pretty much going for doing another AS next year, would I be able to apply (with a small chance) to Imperial, UCL, KCL, QMUL, etc...????
:s-smilie:
Reply 12
Also guys, EPQ as a fourth AS level??????
Reply 13
Original post by Hennnaa
Also guys, EPQ as a fourth AS level??????

does not count as a fourth
Reply 14
Original post by SteveCrain
does not count as a fourth

meh. apparently UCL count it...? What about taking another AS during year 13?
Reply 15
Original post by Hennnaa

Unless you nail the bmat... imperial and ucl will be tough to get into.

KCL like lots of stars and good ukcat score

Soton might be your best bet.
Reply 16
Original post by Hennnaa
So Southampton is still on my list! :biggrin:
Do you think I could do another AS in Year 13 and make up for not doing maths? (I was thinking of geography or sociology..any suggestions??) or I could do AS Gujarati/Hindi out of school (Im fluent in both) as my school doesn't do languages other than MFLs....
Pretty much going for doing another AS next year, would I be able to apply (with a small chance) to Imperial, UCL, KCL, QMUL, etc...????
:s-smilie:

I don't think it's just that you have to worry about. With the gcses you have, you'd have to pull out the stops in UKCAT and BMAT to stand a chance.
Reply 17
Yeah, I'm planning to do those pretty well, practice questions are not bad from what I've already done, so hopefully I can do well in them :biggrin:
Reply 18
Well, first of all, I wouldn't drop maths unless you REALLY have to. You'd be better off, I think doing maths this year and failing, then being careful about where you apply next year, possibly picking up another AS level next year?

Sorry, but you really can't afford to be picky about where you apply. You need to look at entry requirements, standard offers, what people ACTUALLY get and going for those places which you are about the same. I made that mistake of picking places I liked, without really considering that I didn't have a chance. Even if you rally love the London universities, if you think it would be high risk, you're best off only putting down one of those, and going safe for the others. At the end of the day, you will have a medical dgree, no matter where its from.
Reply 19
They're kinda forcing me to drop it...(even at this point when we've practically finished the syllabus) I can get my three A's this year and if I put my all into in, 3 A's next year, also, would I still be able to apply while I'm still doing an AS (talked to QMUL, they said both AS & A2's need to be completed in a 2 year period) would they count it as a fourth AS? I don't think they'll make offers including it (e.g. AAAb or something...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending