The Student Room Group

"Surgeons are butchers" - Discuss.

Some people refer to surgeons as "butchers".

What do you think?

What about the surgeons you've encountered?

Are you considering a career in surgery or otherwise?
And why?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by No Future

What do you think?

And why?

Let's ask the people who's lives are saved by surgery, shall we? Just because surgery uses sharp objects and involves cutting like butchery does, doesn't make them the same. And if it saves lives, I think I wouldn't really be hung up on the fact that 'surgeons remind me of butchers'
Reply 2
Nothing wrong with surgeons.
They save lives.

I' also quite fond of butchers too =]
Do you know how hard surgeons work? I can't imagine where they'd find the time to save lives AND work at a butchers.
Reply 4
Original post by qasman
Let's ask the people who's lives are saved by surgery, shall we? Just because surgery uses sharp objects and involves cutting like butchery does, doesn't make them the same. And if it saves lives, I think I wouldn't really be hung up on the fact that 'surgeons remind me of butchers'

I meant with regards to the attitude of surgeons cf medics and health outcomes for patients.
Reply 5
I once saw a butcher cut his arm off with a meat cleaver.
Reply 6
Original post by -Dragonfly-
Do you know how hard surgeons work? I can't imagine where they'd find the time to save lives AND work at a butchers.

Yes I do. And I never disputed that they work hard or said that they work at a butchers.
Reply 7
I meant with regards to the attitude of surgeons cf medics and health outcomes for patients.

You would have been better off making this thread in Current Med students...
Reply 8
Original post by Democracy
You would have been better off making this thread in Current Med students...

Agreed.

Could a mod pls move it for me?

:wink:

Pretty please?
Reply 9
Agreed.

Could a mod pls move it for me?

:wink:

Pretty please?

Sadly that won't be me since I don't have "powers" in this forum, but I've reported it for you :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by Democracy
Sadly that won't be me since I don't have "powers" in this forum, but I've reported it for you :wink:

But you have Mod title therefore you haz powers? :frown:

What do you think?

And why?

If they are, they are pretty bloody skilled ones tbh.

At this stage (3rd year...clearly Im open to change) I think Id rather go into the physician side of things, maybe cardiology or respiratory medicine.
But you have Mod title therefore you haz powers? :frown:

Yes, but only in the Debate and Current Affairs forums.

Basically you have to think of me as a FY2...the supermods as SpRs and the admins as consultants...I can't be doing a reg's job can I? :biggrin::biggrin:

I thought butchering was generally seen as a brash process myself. Surgery is anything but brash imo. It can take many hours, and the end result can turn out as a work of art, which can be seen in even the finest detail- such as stitches. I see surgical work as precise with beautifull execution and a clear design and purpose of a beneficial intent... to save (or improve) a life.
(edited 13 years ago)

What do you think?

And why?

i had a operation when i was around 5 year old to have a coclear implant, if i didn't have this operation then my life would be extremely different. Surgeons aren't butchers, they're doctors who uses knives to help safe lives.

whoever said that surgeons are butchers are religious delusional people.
Reply 15
Original post by big-boss-91
i had a operation when i was around 5 year old to have a coclear implant, if i didn't have this operation then my life would be extremely different. Surgeons aren't butchers, they're doctors who uses knives to help safe lives.

whoever said that surgeons are butchers are religious delusional people.

Sometimes non surgeon medics refer to surgeons as butchers
Reply 16

I don't see what you're getting at. What attitude of surgeons? And how is this attitued different to all doctors?
Reply 17
Sometimes non surgeon medics refer to surgeons as butchers

Rivalry.
Reply 18
Original post by qasman
Rivalry.

Even though surgeons and medics have different career pathways?
Reply 19
Original post by qasman
I don't see what you're getting at. What attitude of surgeons? And how is this attitued different to all doctors?

Generally medics see surgeons as having forgotten much of the nuances of medicine/physiology (often true, but probably more often not), and are therefore thought of as rather brash, blunt instruments (especially orthopods).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending