The Student Room Group

best whisky brand

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Nalced

But I'm a big fan of Jack Daniels, its like Jameson. Even though its Bourbon...

Actually, its not bourbon, its sourmash.

I would just like to say, that personal taste is all very well, and I mean no offence to those I'm disagreeing with, but Jack Daniels is utter ****, a truly terrible example of a US whisky, and anyone who says it is nice is, frankly, whisky-illiterate.

JD is to good whisky what Coors light is to good beer. Mass produced rubbish.
Reply 21
Lagavulin...:biggrin:

TBH, I normally drink Glenfiddich 12 years, sometimes Glenmorangie 10 years. I've decided to step up my game now though, and give the 15-year Glenfiddich a try.

I can't say I've ever liked anything that wasn't Scotch, but I suppose I haven't tried anything of decent quality. I find Jameson's unspeakably dull. As for Jack Daniels...:puke: (that actually happened..I couldn't finish a double).
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ukr-nffc
Laphroaig is personal favourite

This. Though any single malt from the Isle of Islay is always going to be a winner tbh.

Whiskey that tastes of old, burnt out oak trees ftw!

Edit: JD is nice with coke...
Reply 23
Original post by tehFrance
What do you have it with? Coke :eek: it is average at best.

...maybe haha yes ok its not the best in the world but it tastes nice! it cant be that bad if it tastes that good!?
Reply 24
Original post by mikeyd85
This. Though any single malt from the Isle of Islay is always going to be a winner tbh.

Whiskey that tastes of old, burnt out oak trees ftw!

Edit: JD is nice with coke...

Have you tried the half-cask malt? Very peaty.
Reply 25
Original post by rmanoj
Lagavulin...:biggrin:

TBH, I normally drink Glenfiddich 12 years, sometimes Glenmorangie 10 years. I've decided to step up my game now though, and give the 15-year Glenfiddich a try.

I can't say I've ever liked anything that wasn't Scotch, but I suppose I haven't tried anything of decent quality. I find Jameson's unspeakably dull. As for Jack Daniels...:puke: (that actually happened..I couldn't finish a double).

I would heartily recommend a good quality 10 year old Kentucky wheated bourbon. It's very different from Scotch, but the good ones are full of character.
Have you tried the half-cask malt? Very peaty.

Can't say I have. Got a nice bottle of Glenfiddich to get through before I try that one! :smile:
Reply 27
I'm Irish but I must admit the Scottish make the best apart from Jamesons mmmmmmmmmm Jamesons =]

Meh
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
jameson
or mcallan
It depends:

(if you don't know) there's single malt and blended. Single malts mean that all the different types of whisky that are blended into a bottle come from 1 factory, blended means more than one.

If you want to drink a whisky with a mixer then try Jamesons, smooth and slightly sweet with no peat or perfume. If you do like a perfumy whisky (ew) then look at bells.

To drink neat:

Have a look at Japanese, due to the distance it needs to travel they only really send good stuff. Yamazaki 10 Year Old again is a very smooth whisky and not expensive at all (£27-30).

My personal preference is Glenrothes or Glenmorange signet. The Genrothes is distilled in an abnormally tall still, giving it a really light drink. The Signet however is on another level! It's honestly like drinking alcoholic chocolate! I could honestly sip it all day :smile: However it's pricey (around £100 when I bought it, it's probably around £130 now).

If you want something more esoteric look at Aberfeldy and Middleton, although they're both not that cheap either. I hate pete- whiskies so I can't really help you there laphroaig is popular though.

As you can imagine, my dad's a big collector of whisky. The best stuff of his that I've tried is the standard Johnny Walker blue. He has the Johnny walker blue King George V too, but he won't open that :frown:

Edit: All Londoners should go to The Whisky Exchange in London Bridge. They seriously know their stuff! Very helpful and will allow you to try (in addition to tasting courses) and they're pretty good on price: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Lord Meh
I'm Irish but I must admit the Scottish make the best . . . mmmmmmmmmm Jamasons =]

Meh

.....This doesn't make any sense
It's really a matter of taste and preference to be honest. Comparing a Scotch whisky and an American whiskey and asking which is 'better' is a bit pointless.

Also, note the spelling differences people! Whisky and whiskey are different entities.
Original post by winter_mute
It depends:

(if you don't know) there's single malt and blended. Single malts mean that all the different types of whisky that are blended into a bottle come from 1 factory, blended means more than one.

If you want to drink a whisky with a mixer then try Jamesons, smooth and slightly sweet with no peat or perfume. If you do like a perfumy whisky (ew) then look at bells.

To drink neat:

Have a look at Japanese, due to the distance it needs to travel they only really send good stuff. Yamazaki 10 Year Old again is a very smooth whisky and not expensive at all (£27-30).

My personal preference is Glenrothes or Glenmorange signet. The Genrothes is distilled in an abnormally tall still, giving it a really light drink. The Signet however is on another level! It's honestly like drinking alcoholic chocolate! I could honestly sip it all day :smile: However it's pricey (around £100 when I bought it, it's probably around £130 now).

If you want something more esoteric look at Aberfeldy and Middleton, although they're both not that cheap either. I hate pete- whiskies so I can't really help you there laphroaig is popular though.

As you can imagine, my dad's a big collector of whisky. The best stuff of his that I've tried is the standard Johnny Walker blue. He has the Johnny walker blue King George V too, but he won't open that :frown:

Edit: All Londoners should go to The Whisky Exchange in London Bridge. They seriously know their stuff! Very helpful and will allow you to try (in addition to tasting courses) and they're pretty good on price: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/

I bought a king George V JW blue this christmas. Still debating whether to open it :biggrin:
Reply 33
Laphroaig is personal favourite

YES!

Laphroaig is incredible. I've only had the standard 10 year one, I really want to try the quarter cask and the cask strength ones. The flavour is out of this world...
Original post by TomInce6666
I bought a king George V JW blue this christmas. Still debating whether to open it :biggrin:

Have you tried the Blue cask strength? We bought some over Christmas (my parents own a restaurant near a business area) I managed to try some (only because someone was willing to open it and buy some) and it's out of this world! At £150 for a double (£2,300 pre VAT) it's not something I'll ever buy but **** me I'm glad I got to try half a single serving before I die!
Reply 35
Ballantines 12 year old pure malt! Tickles yir insides!
Original post by winter_mute
Have you tried the Blue cask strength? We bought some over Christmas (my parents own a restaurant near a business area) I managed to try some (only because someone was willing to open it and buy some) and it's out of this world! At £150 for a double (£2,300 pre VAT) it's not something I'll ever buy but **** me I'm glad I got to try half a single serving before I die!

No, never tried it. I bought mine in duty free, cost me about £250 for the box :biggrin:
Original post by TomInce6666
No, never tried it. I bought mine in duty free, cost me about £250 for the box :biggrin:

That's pretty damn good! To be honest it's not something I drink much (I've never been drunk! :eek:) but it's really good to sit and sip after a long shift on the wards :smile:

Question for the thread: Ice or no Ice? I've been on 3 taster tours (Whisky exchange, Bushmills and Glenmorangie) and all 3 says ice it and I agree. Contentious issue though.

Also something I didn't recommend is go to a Royal Mile Whisky store if you can. There's a couple in London, Edinburgh (obvs) and maybe Leeds/Manchester. They always have these bottles from these tiny distilleries that's not expensive and you always come out with something good!
Reply 38
Original post by Amy-Leigh
...maybe haha yes ok its not the best in the world but it tastes nice! it cant be that bad if it tastes that good!?

Neat? JD is disgusting neat... it's a nice drink to have with a mixer but as a whisky it's pretty awful really. Just a horrible bitterness.

Anyone tried Penderyn from my homeland? And it's wysgi not whisky OR whiskey :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
busmills or jog the **** on

Quick Reply

Latest