The Student Room Group

Which is a better brand of laptop?

Which is better when choosing to buy a new laptop, a HP or an ASUS? thanks
Original post by Amin7

The brand doesnt matter, it is the specs of the laptop… the processor, RAM, storage, display, battery life…
Reply 2
Original post by Amin7

I'm not sure but I wouldn't recommend the HP Pavilion 14 because mine has a lot of issues and so does my brother's
Original post by BankaiGintoki
The brand doesnt matter, it is the specs of the laptop… the processor, RAM, storage, display, battery life…

Don't fully agree with that - different brands put together the laptops differently and this can have a material impact on the functionality and lifespan of the PC. Lenovo, for example, used to manufacture really good quality laptops made of solid materials and with good specs at decent price points. However then they switched to using decent spec components and maintaining similar price points, but in my experience in the last ~6 years the quality of everything went way downhill; the casing/frames were replaced with extremely flimsy plastic that broke easily, screens used poor quality hinges that were more prone to breakage and wear, and they skimped on thermal paste and organised the internal components poorly leading to chronic overheating issues. I've swapped over to an Acer for my current laptop which has been doing much better.

Original post by Amin7

I'd suggest looking around on the internet for reviews of the laptops in question (or similar ones by the same brand) to try and gauge how they perform. That said I can't say I've ever heard anyone saying anything positive about an HP machine before...
Reply 4
I have an HP Envy and it is the best computer I've ever owned by a country mile. I have a Pavilion before that and it did me 8 years without issue.

My brother is a service engineer for a tech insurance company and he reckons aside from Lenovo, the next biggest amount of warranty repairs they get back are Asus.

But the prior posters are right re spec being the thing to take most notice of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending