The Student Room Group

Essex to charge £9000 fees alongside Oxford and Imperial

Article.

Posted from the DM article as I found it amusing how they are trying their best to slag off Essex and Surrey. Is Essex even a 'new' university?

Essex University yesterday joined the ranks of institutions charging £9,000 fees, scotching Coalition claims that only the elite would set the maximum rate.

The ‘new’ university, founded in 1965, follows six others in declaring it wants to charge the annual flat-rate when the higher education reforms are introduced in 2012.

At 41st in the country, it is the lowest ranked university to announce it will charge full fees after former polytechnic Surrey, which was ranked 32nd in the Times Good University Guide.

Just one university, London Metropolitan, has so far published plans to charge less than the top level fees an average of £6,000.

Essex’s disclosure brought warnings that a huge funding black hole will be created as the Government struggles to provide student loans to cover the upfront cost of higher fees. Ministers had claimed that maximum £9,000 fees would be the exception.

Long-term financial modelling carried out by the Treasury has been based on universities charging an average of £7,500 from next year.

If this is exceeded, it is feared the student loans bill will balloon beyond sustainable levels.

The Coalition has already warned that university funding could be cut to plug the gap if institutions attempt to ‘cluster’ fees at the top end.

Gareth Thomas, Labour’s shadow universities minister, said: ‘Essex’s decision to charge £9,000 is further confirmation that the Government’s claim that maximum fees will be the exception is simply not going to be the case.

'We have said all along that fees of this size are not only unfair and unnecessary but financially unsustainable.

‘The Government is going to have to make more cuts to teaching or research funding which will further damage the standing of British higher education.’ Lord Browne, whose review formed the basis of the Coalition’s higher education reforms, said yesterday that questions should be asked of universities outside of the elite which seek to charge top fees.

He also admitted that ‘additional Government funding would be needed’.

Universities Minister David Willetts insisted the average fee at institutions charging maximum fees would be closer to £8,000 when bursaries and fee waivers are factored in.

An Essex spokesman said it wants to charge full fees for most students to ‘provide the highest quality teaching and learning opportunities’, along with better facilities and more bursaries for deprived undergraduates.

This is also on the BBC news website if you want a rather less catty read.

Thoughts?

Does this mean that basically most universities will attempt to charge £9000, and it will not just be limited to those in the top 10? Or are Essex and Surrey anomalies?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by storna
Article.

Posted from the DM article as I found it amusing how they are trying their best to slag off Essex and Surrey. Is Essex even a 'new' university?

Both Surrey and Essex have been universities for almost 50 years now, I'l leave it for you to decide whether that is 'new' or not.

It's not surprising at all that Surrey will charge the full 9k though, everything costs a bomb on campus.
Reply 2
Original post by LeeC
Both Surrey and Essex have been universities for almost 50 years now, I'l leave it for you to decide whether that is 'new' or not.

It's not surprising at all that Surrey will charge the full 9k though, everything costs a bomb on campus.

I Surrey a campus uni like Essex? Maybe there could be a link there somehow.
Well it was obvious universities would charge 9k...so much of their funding has been stripped. Given the option, why wouldnt they charge the full amount in this dismal outook. I think it is disgusting this is the case, however.

It is an absolute joke, the government saying 9k would be in exceptional circumstances.
Reply 4
Surrey is good.
Reply 5
Original post by garethDT
I Surrey a campus uni like Essex? Maybe there could be a link there somehow.

Yes it is, but I doubt it has much to do with it, I'm sure loads are going to want to charge the 9k, campus uni or not.
some of the comments on that daily mail site, like essex a old polytechnic,even calling surry a old polytechnic is a bit hard
essex has always been a uni, formed along with many in the 60s known as Plate glass university, don't see any one going ewww york or so on nor Warwick, Lancaster, Bath

its one of the countries good unis, punches way above its weight in terms of its size, a top 10 uni for its research, a uni that has departments that rank with Oxbridge and above

just because its Essex don't rule it out, its in the 1994 group as well, which will pretty much charge the full £9k, every uni that is in the group

the daily mail really need to learn something here
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
All Universities are likely to charge 9K or near it.

A University that charges, say, 6.5 K where others would charge 9 K would fear that their degree would be seen as 'worth less'. Costing less would be seen as = worth less. Employers might well view things that way as well. It would be a self fulfilling policy. No (or very few) University/ies is going to risk that.
All unis are very likely to charge 9k. =.=
There fundings got cut by over 80%, what od you expect?
Government knew all along, to be honest, that this was going to happen.
Reply 9
I'm slightly offended

Because of the name 'Essex' ignorant people would class Essex 'as a university for retards'.

Essex isn't even a ex-polytechnic.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by storna

Original post by storna
Article.

This is also on the BBC news website if you want a rather less catty read.

Thoughts?

Does this mean that basically most universities will attempt to charge £9000, and it will not just be limited to those in the top 10? Or are Essex and Surrey anomalies?

To be fair, Essex is hardly London Met.

And with that, we can all tell which are the **** universities now - those that do not charge the full £9000 (unless justified), for example London Met and Liverpool Hope.

Naturally quality commands higher "prices".
Original post by T-Toe
This grinds my gears.

Because of the name 'Essex' ignorant people would class Essex 'as a university for retards'.

Essex and Surrey are both universities.

"University for retards" - not quite:

*It's hardly Oxford or Cambridge
*It's hardly universities like UCL, Durham, Bristol etc
*They do offer some Mickey Mouse courses
*Their entry requirements aren't exactly high

But to be fair:

*It's hardly London Met
*They do offer some good degrees
I thought if they wanted to charge over 7k they would need the other 2k allowed by the government first on financial grounds. If they can't put forwards a good enough argument to charge 9k they won't be allowed?
Reply 13
Original post by im so academic
To be fair, Essex is hardly London Met.

And with that, we can all tell which are the **** universities now - those that do not charge the full £9000 (unless justified), for example London Met and Liverpool Hope.

Naturally quality commands higher "prices".

But then, I don't consider Essex "exceptional" as claimed by the Government with regards to £9000 fees. "Exceptional" would be the top 10, at a maximum.
Reply 14
Original post by im so academic
"University for retards" - not quite:

*It's hardly Oxford or Cambridge
*It's hardly universities like UCL, Durham, Bristol etc
*They do offer some Mickey Mouse courses
*Their entry requirements aren't exactly high

But to be fair:

*It's hardly London Met
*They do offer some good degrees

I not saying Essex is top prestigious university. However I feel it's not given the recognition it deserves. Essex is my insurance choice and when I tell people, their facial expression reads: ':lolwut:'

A few reputable top 20 universities also offer 'Micky Mouse' courses with fairly low grade requirements.
Original post by storna
But then, I don't consider Essex "exceptional" as claimed by the Government with regards to £9000 fees. "Exceptional" would be the top 10, at a maximum.

what would you class as top 10

essex is classed as a top 10 uni by the RAE
Reply 16
Original post by robinson999
what would you class as top 10

essex is classed as a top 10 uni by the RAE

Top 10 in league tables.

The RAE is a few year out of date, has been argued as flawed in how it is produced, and if I can recall there was controversy surrounding Essex's submission of research.
Reply 17
Who can even blame universities charging 9k? the government are cutting the vast majority of funding. :rolleyes:
I read that. The title alone pissed me off... 'Even Essex???'
I think most universities will charge £9000. It makes sense with university funding being cut...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by storna
Top 10 in league tables.

The RAE is a few year out of date, has been argued as flawed in how it is produced, and if I can recall there was controversy surrounding Essex's submission of research.

Hmmm... How reliable is the league table though?

Different table give you different results, they use different measurements. =.=

I personally find league table more unreliable even if it's up to date.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending