English Literature- A*
Chemistry- A*
History- A/A*
Business- A/A*
Geography- A
German- A
Spanish- C
Additional Maths- A/B

I'm not sure what I want to do at uni but at the moment I'm thinking of doing these A levels:

1. Maths
2. English Literature
3. Philosophy and Ethics
4. Physics
5. Further Maths

Are these good choices? I'm just a little concerned that they don't go very well together and don't seem to lead anywhere specific.
Also, is Philosophy and Ethics a well respected A level? I've heard that it is but I'd like to be sure before I decide to do it.
Reply 1
Original post by Pocket
I'm just about to finish my GCSEs and this is how it looks so far:

Achieved:
English Language- A*
Maths- A*
Physics- A*
Biology- A*
RE short course- A
ICT short course- A

What I'm expecting:
English Literature- A*
Chemistry- A*
History- A/A*
Business- A/A*
Geography- A
German- A
Spanish- C
Additional Maths- A/B

I'm not sure what I want to do at uni but at the moment I'm thinking of doing these A levels:

1. Maths
2. English Literature
3. Philosophy and Ethics
4. Physics
5. Further Maths

Are these good choices? I'm just a little concerned that they don't go very well together and don't seem to lead anywhere specific.
Also, is Philosophy and Ethics a well respected A level? I've heard that it is but I'd like to be sure before I decide to do it.

Seem fine, good variety, shows you're not just good at one thing. I'd say Philosophy and Ethics is well-respectes too. :biggrin:

btw, how many GCSEs do you have?!?!? We only did 10 at my school.
You could probably drop Philosophy and concentrate on getting excellent grades in the other four. You've still got an essay subject with Lit, and Physics/Maths keeps a lot of doors open with the sciences, engineering and so on.
Reply 3
Original post by Lack of Creativity
You could probably drop Philosophy and concentrate on getting excellent grades in the other four. You've still got an essay subject with Lit, and Physics/Maths keeps a lot of doors open with the sciences, engineering and so on.

Should I take all 4 to A level or drop one after AS?
Original post by Pocket

It depends if you think you can hack it or not. Your opinion on these subjects might change after you start studying them, there might be one that you very much wish to drop.
Reply 5
you obviously have the brains to do five, so go for it! however maybe you could do a science too as this would help?? but you have five varied subjects there that keep all doors open for you at uni
Original post by Lauradmxx
you obviously have the brains to do five, so go for it! however maybe you could do a science too as this would help?? but you have five varied subjects there that keep all doors open for you at uni

Physics isn't a science? :lolwut:
Original post by Pocket

put it like this...

i have spoken to quite a few Oxbridge admissions tutors/coordinators recently (presuming you may well aim that high) and when asked the question "Would taking four subjects to A2 give you an advantage over a student with 3 A2's?" there was a flat "no".

concentrate on getting the highest possible grades in 3 A2's. take 4 if you really want. but u will need to get another A in that one too.
Reply 8
Great GCSE grades :smile:
If you don't know what you want to do as a career, then study subjects that you enjoy at AS Level. You don't need to decide which subject you might drop for A2 just yet - wait until you've done some of Year 12 and then drop the one that you least enjoy or you find hardest.
Good luck
x

Quick Reply

Latest