The Student Room Group

How were you taught Sex Education?

Scroll to see replies

Catholic school. I wasn't. And they wondered why 14 year old girls kept getting pregnant. :rolleyes:
My mum gave me a book when I was like 8.

Read it aptly many many times over.
Original post by thegodofgod
a guy or a girl? :sexface:

Girl :sexface: she was excellent too, perfect body :drool:
Reply 43
A video charting the adventures of a character called 'Johnny Condom'.
Via these videos in school in which a woman in a pink Lycra suit shrunk and then went inside people's bodies to have a general look around.

Safe to say, I left with more questions than answers.
Original post by tehFrance
Girl :sexface: she was excellent too, perfect body :drool:

pics or gtfo :colone:
Through hands on experience :wink:

In all seriousness though, in year 4 I was taught about male and female privates, but not much else and then in year 5 I was taught about periods and shown what a tampon looked like.. Year 7 shown the same video I was shown in year 4. And then in year 9 actually had the most useful sex education lesson where we went through different scenarios like if you got pregnant young and stuff, also discussed different types of contraception and learned how to put a condom on a fake penis.
In year 7 we were given a class by a Biology teacher, who has an unnerving habit of squinting at people for long periods of time, who proclaimed very seriously: 'Sex is the very best form of exercise...'

I swear, I've never been able to look him in the eye since.
(edited 13 years ago)
Simple answer: I wasn't.

(PSHE lessons covered drugs, alcohol, violence and the like, but never was there anything about relationships or sexuality.)
pics or gtfo :colone:

Pervy much....? I'd rather GTFO if I'm honest :colondollar:
A little educational resource known as Kevin & Perry Go Large
We didnt do any sex ed lessons, just the tiny bit you do in science
Pervy much....? I'd rather GTFO if I'm honest :colondollar:

you pervy much...?

perving on your own cousin :tongue:
Reply 54
Practical.
At the front of the classroom.
With the teacher.

Wasn't everyone?
you pervy much...?

perving on your own cousin :tongue:

Er no it was his friend not him :angry: I mean that is wrong looking at your own family like that imo.
Reply 56
By a Mr P.Edoebare, rather hairy guy who liked to give practical demonstrations...
Er no it was his friend not him :angry: I mean that is wrong looking at your own family like that imo.

You've got me confused now... :confused:
Year 7/Nuns/All girls boarding school (you get the picture); told we had to go to "Hawain maid" classes? Thought it was geography type stuff but turned out to be "HOW WE ARE MADE": tampon exploding in bucket of water/childbirth video with no explanation of how she got pregnant in the first place etc etc. Learned the real deal when I walked in on my sister and her boyfriend.
Original post by Anonymous
Looking back I feel angered that sex ed is all about the scientific aspects of sex and not the social aspects. Yes, I now know exactly what happens when the egg is fertilised, but I'd much rather have known that if the condom breaks, there's something called 'the morning after pill'. I also would have liked to known exactly what the pill does or even that condoms may break and aren't foolproof.

We were very much taught sex ed with the philosophy that sex makes babies and you only have sex if you want babies. I don't think the science behind sex was enough for me to understand everything that happened. I'd rather have had practice putting a condom on a banana and learning about different contraceptions. I'd like to have known that it's normal for girls to become wet when turned on, and that playing with nipples can increase sensitivity. I'd like to have known that there is something called a clitoris and a G-spot and that they give pleasure to women too. I'd like to have known about the hymen breaking and the vagina expanding during sex. All these small things that I had to find out by myself.
How were you taught sex ed? Did you find it beneficial? Do you wish you were taught things differently or are you pleased with what you found out?

Really?
You really want your teacher telling you that stuff??
Personally I would be horrified if my teachers began telling me about how to stimulate the g-spot (which is debated whether it exists anyway) and the clitoris. Teachers aren't there to tell you about pleasure and what makes a good sh@g. What else do you want them teaching? The best sexual positions? :lolwut:
They are there to teach the biological aspect of it. Why we have sex, how fertilisation occurs, the development of babies, birth etc.
I also think there is extensive education on contraception these days. I've had safe sex lessons absolutely hammered in to my head from Year 4.

Come to think of it, I think I had sex ed lessons every year from Y4 - Y9. They couldn't stop telling us about reproduction and all the rest of it.

Personally I think the sex education system is fine and I think it should be left as it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending