The Student Room Group

March 2012 intake for nursing - good or bad?

Ive just recieved an offer for adult nursing at cardiff uni soooo pleased but then i realised it was for the March 2012 intake and now im confused? How does this work out with accomadation, are we just chucked in anywhere? Will it be as good an experiene as starting in september when everybody else does, and everyone is in the same boat, freshers week, etc this is when everybody makes their friends!!

please helpppppppp i want to be excited but i dont know if this is a good thing?? haha

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm in the exact same boat!
I saw that i got a place, then saw march 12 and didn't know whether to be excited or not lol!
I'm there to get a qualification, and become a student nurse, but I understand what you mean about freshers etc. it would have been great to start in sept!

I was beginning to think I was the only one who had been given march as an intake date!

I'm excited, but there's a little part of me that feels 'not worthy' of a sept intake!! strange feeling! And the accom. thing never even crossed my mind, but you have a point!!
I'm interviewing on the 4th for March intake! I think you need to see it as a positive - perhaps the september course was full, but the university didn't want to outright reject you so made you a later offer! And there'll be loads of student nurses to meet! Also, I've already been to uni for a year, and the people I met in freshers- I hardly spoke to at the end of the year. You meet new people all the time, don't worry!
there is no aspect of 'worthyness' in getting a March offer vs a September offer, the fact is that for Adult branch in particular the number of students needs to be spread across the year to facilitate you getting good placement experiences, if everyone started in September it'd be feast or famine for student placements - as placement areas would be flooded with students half the time and have no students the rest of the time.

in terms of Freshers stuff yes you will miss out on starting with the whole freshersweek stuff, but equally depending on where you go the whole experience can be very variable, between my two stints at Uni the comparision was a huge gap from the extremely packed , busy and almost manic FYC at Newcastle to a few events , and the usual 'marketing' (i.e a commercial freshers fayre and then clubs and societies) driven things at Sheffield ..
rhillew - i feel exactly the same way as you!
i've had an offer for March 2012 for nursing, child branch, and i have been worrying about missing out on the first few weeks of getting to know everyone!
I was part of the March 2010 intake for Cardiff. There's less choice for accommodation and sometimes you'll get put in with the September lot but it shouldn't make too much of a difference. The only problem I found was when the freshers moved in the following September, I was on placement and it was hard to sleep because everyone was moving in and having parties.
Hi, i've been put on the march intake too, i was wondering what the term times are like and when i'll get holidays as i havent a clue!!!
Holidays were the same as September intake, near enough. The only difference was that the September intake had an extra two weeks off in the summer (broke up at same time but went back two weeks later) as their consolidation weeks were right before the summer holidays. Consolidation for March intake was end of February.
so is there any way you can contact the uni and see if you can be put into the september intake? for example, if not everyone in the septembe intake gets the required grades, is it possible for someone in the march intake to take their place ?
Original post by ChloeCouzens
so is there any way you can contact the uni and see if you can be put into the september intake? for example, if not everyone in the septembe intake gets the required grades, is it possible for someone in the march intake to take their place ?

You could always ask to defer to September 2012. I was originally rejected for September 2007 because everyone got the grades and there wasn't enough places and they offered me March 2008 instead. I didn't want to start in March so I defered to September 2008. In the end I ended up being part of a September and a March intake.
ahh right! well i might e-mail Cardiff Uni to see what they say.
Thanks very much for the help ! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by rhillew
Ive just recieved an offer for adult nursing at cardiff uni soooo pleased but then i realised it was for the March 2012 intake and now im confused? How does this work out with accomadation, are we just chucked in anywhere? Will it be as good an experiene as starting in september when everybody else does, and everyone is in the same boat, freshers week, etc this is when everybody makes their friends!!

please helpppppppp i want to be excited but i dont know if this is a good thing?? haha

I started Adult Nursing at UEA in Feb, I was put into a flat with people who had been here since September, but they were all really welcoming and helped me just slot into the group.

You'll get the freshers week in September anyway and make even more friends :smile:

I had the same worries, but everything has turned out fine - you should go for it!
I've also been offered a March intake for 2012 and I'm gutted tbh, I was hoping that there'd be some way into the September start? Like, someone rejecting cardiff before May?
Reply 13
Sounds like loads of you have been offered March intakes, so don't worry about making friends... you can be friends with each other!

I started uni in a September intake, but only made a couple of friends in my halls of residence. I made my really good mates in 2nd year and continued to make new friends right until the end of my 4th year. It's not as cut and dry as meeting your best mates in freshers week!
Reply 14
There are lots of us starting March '12 so it seems, at least we can all get to know each other!! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Hey all i'm also starting Cardiff in March 2012. I haven't confirmed just yet as I was feeling dissapointed but now I see it as a good sign. At least there will be less of us in the group and hopefully good placements. I also had an offer on Glamorgan Uni but I do not plan on taking it up as I believe Cardiff to be the better option. Any info on March intake would greatly be appreciated as most of my class have got in for September intake and I was wondering whether we have the same opportunities as they do??
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by fairy2789
There are lots of us starting Sept so it seems, at least we can all get to know each other!! :biggrin:

Did you get September after?? :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by mitchwales
Did you get September after?? :biggrin:

Doh, no...I meant March:colondollar:
:frown:
Original post by ChloeCouzens

an awful lot ( compared to other subjects) of Nursing offers are unconditional ...

There are no professional or personal disadvantages to spring intake, the principle thing , if anything, that you'll miss out on is the fresher's weeks shenanigans ...

spring intakes exist because of the need to match placements with students
Reply 19
Good thing. I'm at cardiff for child nursing in March too!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending