The Student Room Group

Studying children's nursing at the University of Wolverhampton April intake

As my course starts in April 2023, I want to know how the term timetable will look like. Will the holidays be the same? Will I graduate in April? What does the year look like in general? Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by khadeejah.A
As my course starts in April 2023, I want to know how the term timetable will look like. Will the holidays be the same? Will I graduate in April? What does the year look like in general? Thank you.

I want to know too, I am bit confused as I could have started in September, will I be behind I’m just anxious
Original post by Awareys
I want to know too, I am bit confused as I could have started in September, will I be behind I’m just anxious

Are you also starting this April in 2023, at the Walsall Campus?
Are you also starting this April in 2023, at the Walsall Campus?

I just applied for student finance and I think I got the term times for this year. I can share them with you if you want.
Reply 4
Omg yes , how old are you if you don’t mind me asking
Original post by Awareys
Omg yes , how old are you if you don’t mind me asking

I just turned 20 3 days ago.
First term- 17th April to 28th July
Second term- 14th August to 15th December
Third term- 2nd January to 1st March

I don't know if these are completely correct, but it seems like our term timetable is different to the September start. So holidays will definitely differ.

I don't know if these are completely correct, but it seems like our term timetable is different to the September start. So holidays will definitely differ.

Also, 6 weeks before we start we will be given our timetable, so we just have to wait to receive those.
Reply 7

Does that mean we are behind our peers? So we’re studying till 2024?
Original post by Awareys
Does that mean we are behind our peers? So we’re studying till 2024?

Yep. It looks that way. I just checked on my student finance account, and it says April intake- 2023 to 2026. So this academic year will end in 2024 for us.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi both,

I think its great that you are both starting with us in April, and that you've been able to connect beforehand through this site.

Firstly please let me reassure you that starting your course in April will in no way put you at a disadvantage, here at the University we have 3 intake points throughout the year so there is nothing to be anxious about - there will be other people starting at this time and you will not be considered "behind".

Secondly our academic calendar is available here https://www.wlv.ac.uk/current-students/academic-calendar/ - and while this is not a course specific timetable it does show you active teaching weeks and semester dates.

I hope you find this helpful, if you have any other queries you can reach out to one of the uni reps on here or our ask@wlv team

CC
Yep. It looks that way. I just checked on my student finance account, and it says April intake- 2023 to 2026. So this academic year will end in 2024 for us.

Do you think we are allowed to start September 2024 for our second year or will it stay like that x
Original post by Awareys
Do you think we are allowed to start September 2024 for our second year or will it stay like that x

I don't think we can, I also thought about this, but if our academic year ends in March 2024, then you will miss half of the year for the second year if you did start your second year in September 2024. I don't know if it makes any sense to you. But you could try contacting the university and see what they say, but I think it is highly unlikely they will allow us to do that. You could ask them to move your start date to September 2024 for your first year.
Hello I'm doing adult nursing with foundation year at Walsall.....I just wanted to address re you starting in April. You will NOT be behind your peers. It's a completely different intake/cohort. You will not be in class with people who started September 2022. Everyone will be new, just like yourself. The nursing degree isn't something you can dip in and out of there are 2 separate intakes a year, April and September, where the course starts from scratch. You will be fine. We have many of the same lecturers in the foundation year as you will have in April and they are all incredibly lovely/supportive/knowledgeable and approachable. Good luck in your studies!
Original post by Manics57
Hello I'm doing adult nursing with foundation year at Walsall.....I just wanted to address re you starting in April. You will NOT be behind your peers. It's a completely different intake/cohort. You will not be in class with people who started September 2022. Everyone will be new, just like yourself. The nursing degree isn't something you can dip in and out of there are 2 separate intakes a year, April and September, where the course starts from scratch. You will be fine. We have many of the same lecturers in the foundation year as you will have in April and they are all incredibly lovely/supportive/knowledgeable and approachable. Good luck in your studies!

Omg this reassured me thank you so much, does that mean we graduate the same year the. Just different months?

How has your experience been so far?

Is it possible for us to be in the same class as someone who is starting in September 2023?
Original post by Awareys
Omg this reassured me thank you so much, does that mean we graduate the same year the. Just different months?

I will be graduating some time in 2026 but I'm unsure of the month (I'm in semester 2 of foundation year so my degree 'proper' will start September)
How has your experience been so far?

It has been wonderful. My circumstances are different I'm a lot older, in my 40s and have been out of education for 30 years :eek: but there is a lot of support from tutors. It has been academically challenging but, you are given plenty of guidance around assignments.
Original post by Awareys
Is it possible for us to be in the same class as someone who is starting in September 2023?

No, you won't be in the same class as someone starting in September 2023 as you will be further along in the course and studying different modules. I think it's likely that you may also be on your first practice placement around September/October as when I start my degree proper September 2023 my first placement is February 2024 (around 21 weeks into course)
It has been wonderful. My circumstances are different I'm a lot older, in my 40s and have been out of education for 30 years :eek: but there is a lot of support from tutors. It has been academically challenging but, you are given plenty of guidance around assignments.

Oh wow, I see. Well, I'm glad you are getting the support you need and I hope the rest of your academic journey will be successful. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending