The Student Room Group

Most Ideal - Least Ideal place to live in London?

Scroll to see replies

Best: St John's Wood, Hampstead, Belsize Park, Mayfair, Knightsbridge
Worst: Peckham, Brixton, Hackney, Tottenham, Harlesdon, Clapham etc there's loads
Most ideal: Notting Hill, Primrose Hill, Hampstead, some parts of Camden Town, Marelybone.

Least ideal: Wembley, Harlesden, Southall, Tower Hamlets, New Cross.
Basically the nicest areas are vastly in North West London :smile:
Reply 63
Most: Westminster

Least: Richmond
EAST!!! :wink:

*although I'm being very biased here...*
Reply 65
Sahf-East Landan, bitch!!

Greenwich is fit times.

Or Maida Vale/Warwick Avenue-type area if we're going North.
Reply 66
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Imo Most ideal - Hammersmith and or Islington or Surrey even (seems quite nice, almost rural and I like the suburban feel)

Least Ideal - South london. In general... I kid I kid, but maybe Brixton, or Tower hamlets

Just based on peoples opinions really. Any correlations in the locations of the most or least ideal places may be pure coincidence

Have you thought Camden, its quite nice and has excellent transport links but obviously there are bad areas best place in hampstead, primrose, holloway and near kings cross. And also Barnet is pretty nice but only northern line and some other rail lines but very nice to live in.
Reply 67
north london - islington
Original post by Sangha236
You don't wanna live in Old Southall. It's near Ealing, comes under South West London. Awful place.

North, East, South & West London isn't a small place you know. Some areas are nice and some aren't. Just avoid Old Southall.

I live in the borough of Ealing, a little place called Greenford, near Southall.

Incidentally what is the problem with Southall, are you racist?
Granted it is known for drug abuse and a place unscrupulous people can pick up illegal labourers.

No-one has mentioned Harrow, Harrow-on-the-Hill is lovely.

I think Brixton and Tower Hamlets are quite bad, Richmond and Hampstead are full of RAH's though. East London is very built up, places like City University, I thought it was horrible when I went to see it.
Reply 69
Original post by Elissabeth
I live in the borough of Ealing, a little place called Greenford, near Southall.

Incidentally what is the problem with Southall, are you racist?
Granted it is known for drug abuse and a place unscrupulous people can pick up illegal labourers.

No-one has mentioned Harrow, Harrow-on-the-Hill is lovely.

I think Brixton and Tower Hamlets are quite bad, Richmond and Hampstead are full of RAH's though. East London is very built up, places like City University, I thought it was horrible when I went to see it.

Oh no, you're getting it wrong. That comment was aimed at one of the other users, One of my friends. He was flicking through my posts. He lives there. Trust me, I can't be racist. People living in Southall are of my own heritage.

Have you actually every walked in Southall? Have you seen random colourful buildings by Park Avenue? Trust me, I have walked in the streets of Southall for a long time. I can tell a good place from a bad one though. Look at West End Road, Beaconsfield Road. Most houses are terrist. Not just that, you have that ugly Blue Water tank right by it.

But yeah, there is a lot of crime there too. And yeah, there are many illegal immigrants their too. I don't think they make much impact on a least ideal place unless you were thinking of going into Building and Construction.

I live in this so called little town Greenford too. It is much better than Southall. You've seen how tidy and clean everything is.
Reply 70
Personally, I'd love to live in Covent Garden, Blackfriars, Islington or Westminster.

I've heard Lewisham is quite bad, I've only passed through it a few times and it didn't look particularly nice. My mum has a flat in South Harrow and I lived there for a few weeks at the start of term when my uni accommodation was messed up and I didn't particularly like it.
In central London

Specifically SW/NW/W1 postcodes (the closer the 1, the better)

e.g. certain areas of the Borough of Kensington and Chelsea or Borough of Camden

Bloomsbury, St James, Mayfair, Marylebone etc...

St Johns Wood looks nice but a bit boring and not central enough?

Least ideal: anywhere deprived
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by No Future
In central London

Specifically SW/NW/W1 postcodes (the closer the 1, the better)

e.g. certain areas of the Borough of Kensington and Chelsea or Borough of Camden

Bloomsbury, St James, Mayfair, Marylebone etc...

St Johns Wood looks nice but a bit boring and not central enough?

Least ideal: anywhere deprived

A 10 minute walk from St John's Wood will have you at Marble Arch/Oxford Street..

Anyway OP, gonna go with West, since I live here.. I'm within walking distance of Maida Vale, Ladbroke Grove/Portobello, St John's Wood, Little Venice etcc it's alright here. Area I live in is coming up too; Queens Park - it's near enough to central, as well as having a tube line directly to Oxford Street, and its own Starbucks, farmers market, and quite a big park. :p:

Wost; Harlesden. That place is dire.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
A 10 minute walk from St John's Wood will have you at Marble Arch/Oxford Street..

Really? It seems further when I've been by car/taxi
Original post by No Future
Really? It seems further when I've been by car/taxi

Not really. The 'entrance' to St John's Wood is like on that road you walk down and end up on Edgware Rd, keep going and you end up in Marble Arch/Oxford Street. It's like 10/15 min walk max.
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Not really. The 'entrance' to St John's Wood is like on that road you walk down and end up on Edgware Rd, keep going and you end up in Marble Arch/Oxford Street. It's like 10/15 min walk max.

Google directions suggests it's over 2 miles from Ox Circus tube to St Johns wood tube, over 43 mins to walk and 13 mins taxi ride, which sounds about right.

Hell it'd take me well over 15 mins to walk from Ox Circ tube to London to London Business School.
Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
west london (excluding hounslw, feltham and south-hall)

it has the nicest middle-class and peaceful boroughs in london.

Although Chiswick is within Hounslow so you can't exclude the whole of Hounslow :biggrin:
Original post by tripleeagle
Although Chiswick is within Hounslow so you can't exclude the whole of Hounslow :biggrin:

chiswick is exempt then.
I'll take back what i said about wimbledon being a safe area :lol:, someone got stabbed on the bus the other day
Reply 79
Best: North and West

Worst: This area

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending