The Student Room Group

Tips before starting uni!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alhae
Don't walk into your flat like I did on moving in day and look everyone up and down and say, 'you're **** and you know you're ****'.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30370930&highlight=

**** off troll.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
If you're not the drinking and partying until the twilight hours type, don't force yourself. You'll regret the massive loss in money, time and the general feeling of disgust that will naturally come along with it.

I drink seldom (at least to the point of getting absolutely clattered), yet for almost a month (I arrived at the earliest day, a fortnight before freshers week), I was getting slaughtered almost every night, and probably spent a few hundred quid on food, alcohol and club entrance fees. Regretted it, as until the Christmas period loan, I had virtually cock-all in cash, and had to borrow a hundred pounds off my parents.

A learning curve though, I guess.
Reply 23
Just be yourself. As philistine said, you don't have to party every night and don't drink to excess if you don't want to. Go with an open mind and get involved in things you have an interest in.
Also, keep on top of your work because it builds up quickly, even in the first year.
Reply 24
Agree with the last few posts, definitely try and be yourself as much as possible. There's so much pressure when you get to uni to be making loads of friends and going out all the time and I tried to go along with it at first and was quite unhappy, when I stopped trying to be someone I'm not I made more friends and felt happier and more settled.
Also, don't panic if you haven't made loads of friends straight away, initially people find groups mainly revolving around their accommodation and then gradually as the year goes on people start shifting around a bit when they realise they actually don't have much in common with the people they befriended in the first week!
Try as hard as you can to stay on top of your work. This becomes escpecially helpful when you have a few assignments in for the same day/week.

Note: There will always be people on your course who do assignments they day they find out about them, and then make you panic because you haven't done them yet while they talk about how hard they were to write. Just ignore them!
TIP: Always try enjoy what you study.
Original post by Gallabay
Do not, DO NOT, sleep with your flatmates. Under any circumstances. It doesnt matter how tempting it is. Dont do it. Sex + Flatmates = bad.

other than that, be relaxed, meet new people, join some societies, try new things, get steaming every night for as long as you can afford and enjoy living away from home with people who'll you probably be good friend with :smile:

Respect other people, treat them fairly, and you'll get on fine most likely. It wont all be roses, ive had some storming fights with one of my flatmates, but i still love being at University :smile:

haha, comeon it's not always that bad:biggrin:
Reply 28
Original post by Cicerao
I spent about £20 in Fresher's Week. :3

(Protip: Avoid fresher's wristband, utter waste of money.)

Ours was quite good value for money..
Reply 29
Original post by jjackson18624
haha, comeon it's not always that bad:biggrin:

If they turn out to be bat**** insane, it is :P
Reply 30
Original post by Smalley
What two groups? Are you meaning party people and studying people?

I'd have though that if this is the case, the choice would be easy for TSRians : D
Reply 31
Original post by Shelly_x
Ours was quite good value for money..

I believe ours was £40. When you read that it gets you into 10 events or whatever, you think wow, great value! Then you check the times and dates and most of them are happening simultaneously, so you actually can go to about 5. And then your flatmates decide not to go anyway so it really is just a waste of money in my opinion.
A lot of your experience will be down to luck i.e. your flatmates, friends you make etc.
Original post by Gallabay
If they turn out to be bat**** insane, it is :P

I see your going to York, so am I :sexface:
Reply 34
Get condoms /; D
Buy healthy food - its actually cheaper, thus u save for booze
snacks are addictive, so dont start

DO read/study after your lectures, DONT leave it right before the exam (every year I fail to follow that one...)

Know when to party and when to study

DONT force yourself to be part of a group you dont really like.

Someone mentioned geeks and party people - find friends from both, don't be extreme.

Join as many societies as possible - it's fun and gets you an experience u won't forget.

It's freshers week - trash yourself - you are going to have only one of those : )

Be nice to the odd one out - they are usually very nice people with a lot of interesting points of view.
(edited 13 years ago)
Stock up on medicine (lemsip, paracetemol, strepsils, etc) before you leave because you'll probably get that dreaded 'fresher's flu' and it's best to be prepared!
Reply 36
follow the basis rule of first year, alcohol > studying
prepare for freshers flu,
learn to cook fast easy meals i rarely have time to cook for more than 30mins
don't sleep with people in your flat, or original friendship circle if you dont want anything serious
Don't get toooo plastered on your first night out with a society - so you can remember who you met :tongue: (failed that one myself, went from barely drinking and feeling uncomfortable at one to being so plastered I barely remember it the second).

Don't Panic

Don't compare it with your old life and don't expect friends to just happen through proximity, go out there and talk to people :tongue:

If no societies particularly appeal, join one that doesn't look too bad - it'll get you out of the flat, and you'll meet new people and who knows, you may love it! (did that with picnicsoc, I hated picnics, but I'm on the committee second year running now :biggrin: )

Make sure you always have something to make a meal of in the house, just in case you really can't be bothered to go out shopping (or are too ill).
Freshers flu is real. And it's horrible - I remember we had a fire drill at 5am when I had it. Everyone was stood outside shivering wrapped in their duvets and I was stood there in shorts and t-shirt sweating because I had the freshers flu.
Mark your territory, by hissing and covering everything in urine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending