The Student Room Group

My school wont let me get an A* What can I do!?

It's so unfair! I feel like my school is penalizing me for being a higher achiever! I'm expected all A's, and am on target etc. I've never had a detention, and do everything they ask, I've always been a 'good' student! So, they've issued what exams everyone will be taking. In my core science modules I've gotten an 2 A*'s an A and a B. My teacher told me that I will be re-sitting that b module, in order to get an A* overall! Even if I got 4 A*'s, an A and a B, and an A* on my coursework, I wouldn't be able to get an A* overall!! It's so unfair! They're not letting me re sit that one module, because they've given all the re sits to people who are on lower grades! I know for a fact that some people (and these people don't give a toss it appears, they're always messing around in class etc and not working) are being given 3 re takes!! They basically won't let me get an A*! My mum called the head of science, and she said call back after easter?! She was like i'm currently on grade A, and thats really good! But she didn't say I could have a re take!! I talked to that woman as well, she was like 'oh it would be better for you if you concentrated on this last exam and not have to stress about another module!' But she thinks people on U's and D's can concentrate on 3 re take modules as well as all the other gcse's?!? What can I do? She can't call the head teacher because she's so useless. She won't do anything about it!! Oh, and I'm not being greedy or anything, I just really really want to get into gifted and talented at college! The head there said that if I could mix in a couple of A*'s, I would be put into that group. :frown: What do I do?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
GCSE's meen nothing in the real world.
Reply 2
You can always sit it externally at another school if you are so keen.
Chill.
Original post by zayna1
It's so unfair! I feel like my school is penalizing me for being a higher achiever! I'm expected all A's, and am on target etc. I've never had a detention, and do everything they ask, I've always been a 'good' student! So, they've issued what exams everyone will be taking. In my core science modules I've gotten an 2 A*'s an A and a B. My teacher told me that I will be re-sitting that b module, in order to get an A* overall! Even if I got 4 A*'s, an A and a B, and an A* on my coursework, I wouldn't be able to get an A* overall!! It's so unfair! They're not letting me re sit that one module, because they've given all the re sits to people who are on lower grades! I know for a fact that some people (and these people don't give a toss it appears, they're always messing around in class etc and not working) are being given 3 re takes!! They basically won't let me get an A*! My mum called the head of science, and she said call back after easter?! She was like i'm currently on grade A, and thats really good! But she didn't say I could have a re take!! I talked to that woman as well, she was like 'oh it would be better for you if you concentrated on this last exam and not have to stress about another module!' But she thinks people on U's and D's can concentrate on 3 re take modules as well as all the other gcse's?!? What can I do? She can't call the head teacher because she's so useless. She won't do anything about it!! Oh, and I'm not being greedy or anything, I just really really want to get into gifted and talented at college! The head there said that if I could mix in a couple of A*'s, I would be put into that group. :frown: What do I do?!

Can't you offer to pay for it? When we did core science module retakes, they were only about £4 per module or something like that.
Reply 5
unimaginative :troll: is unimaginative...
Original post by zayna1

you go and have a lie down. it's not particularly important in the long run - why don't you go and use up your energy trying to get a*s in your other subjects?
You are being pedantic. Be grateful that you have an A and try to loosen up a bit in general. GCSEs are not the be all and end all of life. You should worry more about your A Levels, and even then not whether they were the absolute best or not, just concern yourself with meeting minimum requirements for uni.

The teacher isn't letting you resit to get an A* because she thinks you're a silly little girl who is far too perfectionist.
Reply 8
Without having read the original post: Sue them!
Original post by Amstead
GCSE's meen nothing in the real world.

Some universities require certain GCSE grades in certain subjects like Maths, English or Science.

I needed at least a C in Maths to get onto my course. However some universities require a B or an A.

It all depends on what the OP wants to do in the future.
Original post by zayna1

Who resits GCSEs?!! Good lord, child. :teehee:
Original post by zayna1

"Gifted and Talented" is a loose and shallow way of self-congratulatory BS-ing each other. It makes the good people feel great, and the people who don't get picked are feeling as you do now. It's not the greatest thing in the world, definitely not worth the effort.

An A is a good grade, maybe you should just stick with it mate.
Original post by Winning
Without having read the original post: Sue them!

Having read a few sentences: won't that just mean the aliens will abduct her?
Reply 13
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
Some universities require certain GCSE grades in certain subjects like Maths, English or Science.

I needed at least a C in Maths to get onto my course. However some universities require a B or an A.

It all depends on what the OP wants to do in the future.

But OP already has an A. I don't think I've ever seen universities requiring A* GCSE grades.

At the end of the day, GCSEs mean nothing. Colleges don't usually particularly care what grades you have as long as they are at least mediocre, and universities go off A levels.
Original post by thomson
But OP already has an A. I don't think I've ever seen universities requiring A* GCSE grades.

At the end of the day, GCSEs mean nothing. Colleges don't usually particularly care what grades you have as long as they are at least mediocre, and universities go off A levels.

I disagree. Medicine at Birmingam requires 8 A* at GCSE and medicine in general requires a few A* to be hopeful of entry, something that will only increase in the future. Also Oxbridge will want a few A*.

And to be fair, if your capable of A* then go for it! Wont do you any harm :smile:
Reply 15
Write a well-structured letter clearly indicating why you should be able to re-take that particular exam and send it to you teacher, head of year and if that fails, your headmaster too.
Original post by zayna1
In my core science modules I've gotten an 2 A*'s an A and a B. My teacher told me that I will be re-sitting that b module, in order to get an A* overall! Even if I got 4 A*'s, an A and a B, and an A* on my coursework, I wouldn't be able to get an A* overall!! It's so unfair! They're not letting me re sit that one module

I'm confused, are they letting you resit it or not?
Reply 17
Go to the local paper, complain more to the head, create a fuss. Even when a school is crap and they know it they still care about their external appearance and reputation.
This is your own fault for getting a B.
Reply 19
well hey i know it's my fault for getting a b! No one's perfect...and I know that i'm capable of an a*. My teacher said that I could re sit, but now they're not allowing me to...and I have seen universities asking for a*'s at gcse's, and they're probably going to increase....and yes I want to go on to medicine so....It's just that I think it's really unfair that when a student tries so hard, it gets kicked back in their teeth :frown: and people who don't try at all are almost spoon fed! I think the reason they're doing it is because they want a higher % of a*-c at gcse...and being in the gifted and talented group tends to look good on applications because theres so many extra-curricular activities and things that you can do if your in the group...that's how it is in my school anyways, and next years college.

Quick Reply

Latest