The Student Room Group

Visiting!

I'm taking my mum to visit Cambridge before I start in October. It'll be a day trip and in the week before Holy Week, so no choral services in King's chapel, alas, but do you have any particular tips for sightseeing and exploring a bit?

I've not been on any open days, so it'd be good to know if there's anything I'd've missed there that I could catch up on - probably it'll be fine though. Not to mention most things probably will also be closed for Easter/staff will be away!

But mostly, if you have any sightseeing and/or eating/drinking recommendations, whether it's a ridiculous idea to punt, where/what to avoid as overpriced tat, etc, that'd be brilliant and much appreciated. :smile: Merci!
Reply 1
I loved the Fitzwilliam Museum.
They have a really nice collection.
Reply 2
Almost all colleges will let you in to have a look round. Some of the touristy ones charge entrance, so make sure you tell them you're a prospective student - tis quite amusing, at a few of the colleges I visited faces turned from scorn (here's another bloody tourist) to delight when I said I was considering the college as a choice, so they'll be very helpful.

Cambridge is small enough that you can just stumble around and have a peek at everything, and there's a series of nice cheapish pubs with good food on Trumpington Street. And punt if you wish :biggrin:
Original post by chai wallah
I'm taking my mum to visit Cambridge before I start in October. It'll be a day trip and in the week before Holy Week, so no choral services in King's chapel, alas, but do you have any particular tips for sightseeing and exploring a bit?

I've not been on any open days, so it'd be good to know if there's anything I'd've missed there that I could catch up on - probably it'll be fine though. Not to mention most things probably will also be closed for Easter/staff will be away!

But mostly, if you have any sightseeing and/or eating/drinking recommendations, whether it's a ridiculous idea to punt, where/what to avoid as overpriced tat, etc, that'd be brilliant and much appreciated. :smile: Merci!

Fudge shop! You can watch them make fudge and, more importantly, get a free sample. They usually have free samples floating around and don't mind you coming in to try it (i've actually walked past once with one of the workers standing outside shouting "Free fudge! Free fudge! Come on people, it's actually free fudge!") It's on King's Parade (opposite King's, basically)

Botanic gardens on Lensfield Road are quite nice but a fair walk from the centre.

Check out Castle Mound, if you want, though it's really just a hill which used to have a castle-type building on it.
Reply 4
Original post by gethsemane342
Fudge shop! You can watch them make fudge and, more importantly, get a free sample. They usually have free samples floating around and don't mind you coming in to try it (i've actually walked past once with one of the workers standing outside shouting "Free fudge! Free fudge! Come on people, it's actually free fudge!") It's on King's Parade (opposite King's, basically)

Botanic gardens on Lensfield Road are quite nice but a fair walk from the centre.

Check out Castle Mound, if you want, though it's really just a hill which used to have a castle-type building on it.

Seconded! Sadly you can't go to Fitzbillies now it's closed, but if you want to see it, it's on Trumpington Street (between Corpus and Peterhouse).

I've been to the Sedgwick Museum before and it's pretty interesting if you're into fossils, but to be honest I'm a layman and found there to be a lot more to take in than it's possible to appreciate in one visit. I've heard good things about the Fitzwilliam though. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by gethsemane342
Fudge shop! You can watch them make fudge and, more importantly, get a free sample. They usually have free samples floating around and don't mind you coming in to try it (i've actually walked past once with one of the workers standing outside shouting "Free fudge! Free fudge! Come on people, it's actually free fudge!&quot:wink: It's on King's Parade (opposite King's, basically)

Original post by Tortious
Seconded!

Wahooo! You've made my day!

This thread comes up when you google 'cambridge fudge shop': http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14486

and it's: http://www.fudgekitchen.co.uk/

:biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 6
I'd like to second (third?) the fudge shop recommendation.

What college will you be going to? If it's one which isn't right in the centre of town, it might be worth finding your way to/from town from college. Like, getting into town from my college is easy as hell, but I still managed to get lost in the first week. Also it might be nice just to look at the other colleges, so that you know where they are and things. The better your bearings before you get here the better equipped you'll be for everything else :p:

A nice place to go is Castle Hill. It's near-ish to Magdalene College, and if you go up it you can see over all the city... very very nice view. It's great at night, and even better at night with alcohol, although I don't advise going alone after dark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending