The Student Room Group

Best places for an 18 year old (Year 13) to apply for a job?

My general experiences thus far...

Waitrose = Too inexperienced
JD Sports = Rejected
Next = Rejected
Bar Staff = Want a years experience
McDonalds = Full time places only
Tesco = Plenty...but over an hour and a half travel
Cinemas = Inexperienced (wtf @ having to get experience for working in cinemas)
Krispy Kreme = none hiring near me :cry2:

so yeah, that's my general feelings from the past 3 weeks of intense job searching...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheBlackMonster

JD Sports = Rejected
Next = Rejected

so yeah, that's my general feelings from the past 3 weeks of intense job searching...

Don't beat yourself up about it, it's difficult finding a job right now.

Last year I tried getting a job in the summer - went to two towns and handed in my CV at every shop. I applied for 3 solid weeks online and got no replies whatsoever.

I now have another wonderful 4 months of depressing job searching to do too, with the only piece of work experience I've ever had being a cleaner in Heathrow.

Don't worry about it, it'll get easier. If it doesn't, I'm going to get fat and become a hermit.
Reply 2
Supermarkets. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere (which is possible, I suppose) there must be somewhere near you which sells food - even a corner shop. You said that Tesco's is an hour and a half away, but there must be somewhere more local which sells groceries - unless you literally live in the wilderness :tongue:

I make my money from tutoring (useful if you can find rich-but-thick people) and working for the council (http://www.youngadvisors.org.uk/ - seems very Big-Society-esque, but it pays £8 an hour :awesome:).

JD Sports = Rejected
Next = Rejected

The whole experience thing is rubbish. The reason they say because you're inexperienced is because you have no people skills to balance it out. I'm 16 and I've worked in a bar temporarily, I also had a job interview for Vue Cinema, he liked me so much he said he'd highly consider employing me although it would be difficult finding me a shift because of my age.

Also, get jobs through friends....
Reply 4

Waitrose = Too inexperiencedJD Sports = Rejected
Next = Rejected

What are they looking for, someone with a phd in ticket selling and food storing :lolwut:
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
The whole experience thing is rubbish. The reason they say because you're inexperienced is because you have no people skills to balance it out.

what do you mean? I havent even seen them in person yet for them to think that. it was through their own criteria when I wanted to apply through the website.
what do you mean? I havent even seen them in person yet for them to think that. it was through their own criteria when I wanted to apply through the website.

It's down to your CV then....
It's down to your CV then....

what CV? it said on the website that you must have a years experience working within cinemas...
Reply 8
I was in the same boat as you, I got rejected for being too inexperienced, but I eventually got a job at asda :smile: keep knocking at the door and eventually someone will take you on
what CV? it said on the website that you must have a years experience working within cinemas...

What Cinema was this. Can't have been Vue or Odeon.....

Did it specifically say " Working with cinemas " or " Working with customers "
Reply 10
do you have any amusement parks or arcades near you. THey employ young people. I actually have an interview at one tomorrow Xx
What Cinema was this. Can't have been Vue or Odeon.....

Did it specifically say " Working with cinemas " or " Working with customers "

it was Cineworld, and it said working in cinema experience
maybe the branch I was applying to is a good one?
Places that are seen as 'uncool' to work in usually have most vacancies. So keep trying places like Mcdonalds, KFC, matalan, asda etc...it does take time, but suddenly you'll have 3 offers at once! always the way! good luck :biggrin:
Reply 13

Most places will tell you that. Apply regardless, hand your CV in even if they tell you know. It sounds silly that you might need to be so ruthless getting a part time job but when I was looking for Christmas temp work over 150 people applied for one part time job as a sales assistant. You basically have to act like you're the dog's *******s from application stage onwards.. Although obviously not be a total cocky bugger. You just have to keep persevering and perfecting your technique.
Original post by Jessibear
Most places will tell you that. Apply regardless, hand your CV in even if they tell you know. It sounds silly that you might need to be so ruthless getting a part time job but when I was looking for Christmas temp work over 150 people applied for one part time job as a sales assistant. You basically have to act like you're the dog's *******s from application stage onwards.. Although obviously not be a total cocky bugger. You just have to keep persevering and perfecting your technique.

haha thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind, the only reason why i'm not like that is because of a lack of experience with interviews and getting past the stage where i'm normally rejected by now

Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Places that are seen as 'uncool' to work in usually have most vacancies. So keep trying places like Mcdonalds, KFC, matalan, asda etc...it does take time, but suddenly you'll have 3 offers at once! always the way! good luck :biggrin:

Tesco is a cool place to work at!
but yeah, i'll try those other places, but then again I dont really think there's any uncool places to work at really, a job is a job...unless you're oe of those people that hands out leaflets in streets or a door to door salesman

Tesco is a cool place to work at!
but yeah, i'll try those other places, but then again I dont really think there's any uncool places to work at really, a job is a job...unless you're oe of those people that hands out leaflets in streets or a door to door salesman

Haha, I know, but you know some people only want to work in Topshop lol. I used to work in Morrisons and some of my friends thought it was amusing, but at the end of the day I was the one earning money :tongue:
Reply 16
I'm having the same difficulties atm. I'm also 18 and in Year 13. I've worked at BHF and Barnardo's on a voluntary basis and have customer service experience, I can use a till like a second language and I'm good on the shop floor. I've applied to M&S, Asda, Tesco, H&M, Clintons, GAME, Vodafone, Boots, Sports Direct you name it. Need some help really or is it more to do with the economy?
Reply 17
have tired in a cafes etc?
Original post by kerily
Supermarkets. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere (which is possible, I suppose) there must be somewhere near you which sells food - even a corner shop. You said that Tesco's is an hour and a half away, but there must be somewhere more local which sells groceries - unless you literally live in the wilderness :tongue:

I make my money from tutoring (useful if you can find rich-but-thick people) and working for the council (http://www.youngadvisors.org.uk/ - seems very Big-Society-esque, but it pays £8 an hour :awesome:).

I fail to believe that someone who has achieved 12A* grades at GCSE and is a future Mathematician at Cambridge actually refers to it as Tesco's
:rolleyes:
Reply 19
Original post by thewiseone
I fail to believe that someone who has achieved 12A* grades at GCSE and is a future Mathematician at Cambridge actually refers to it as Tesco's
:rolleyes:

I am fully aware of how a possessive apostrophe works.

I'm not sure where you're from - I live in Yorkshire, and around here, shops are generally referred to out loud with an -s on the end. So it's pronounced 'Marks and Spencers' or 'Boyses' or 'Tescos' or 'Morrisons' etc. This is presumably from when shops were named after people's surnames, and so Fred's shop was actually called 'Fred's' or whatever (I realise this isn't a tremendously convincing argument, but it's the only justification I can think of). So while I would say 'Tescos' out loud, I'm presuming that it's not some sort of collective noun, and so instead you put in an apostrophe to signify ownership. Nobody around here says 'Tesco'; it just sounds wrong. You need an 's' on the end. And it feels more 'right' if the 's' is possessive and not there to indicate multiple items.

I do refer to it as Tesco's, and I do have 12 A* at GCSE, and depending on how STEP goes I may be doing maths at Cam. Not sure what the massive contradiction is to be honest :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending