The Student Room Group

Can you resit prelims if you don't fail them?

I've got my prelims this summer, and I require a upper 2nd to continue to receive sponsorship and work placements with the company I worked for in my gap year. If I don't get a 2:i, they sack me and require me to pay them back £1500 (which I don't have anyway).

So, if I got say, a 2:2, would I just be stuck with that and not allowed to resit? Cos if I get my contract terminated, I lose out on a LOT of funding and it would be insanely difficult/impossible for me to be able afford uni for the remaining 2 years.
yeah you're not allowed to resit. if you failed and got a 2.i on the resit it wouldn't count as a 2.i anyway.
Reply 2
No you can't resit if you pass, if you fail first time round I doubt they would consider your resits as acceptable to show 2.1 level.
As far as I'm aware prelims are only graded as, pass, fail, distinction.
I know you can use %ages to say what it would be, but it might be worth clearing that up with the company, just in case.

In the worst case scenario, just go and see your college/jcr and try and get some help. But if you take out all the loans & bursaries you can & work over the summer it shouldn't be to hard to survive.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by mf2004
No you can't resit if you pass, if you fail first time round I doubt they would consider your resits as acceptable to show 2.1 level.
As far as I'm aware prelims are only graded as, pass, fail, distinction.
I know you can use %ages to say what it would be, but it might be worth clearing that up with the company, just in case.

In the worst case scenario, just go and see your college/jcr and try and get some help. But if you take out all the loans & bursaries you can & work over the summer it shouldn't be to hard to survive.

It might be different for Physics, but I definitely got individual marks for my prelims (English Lit).
Reply 4
Original post by *pitseleh*
It might be different for Physics, but I definitely got individual marks for my prelims (English Lit).

We get a mark for each paper too. What I meant is that they don't give you an overall classification in the usual way (1st 2.1 etc). Obviously I could be wrong but I thought that was the general case.
Original post by mf2004
We get a mark for each paper too. What I meant is that they don't give you an overall classification in the usual way (1st 2.1 etc). Obviously I could be wrong but I thought that was the general case.

Oh right, fair enough. Yeah, I don't remember getting an actual classification, though the classification boundaries are pretty straightforward for us, so it was easy enough to work out whether you had a 2.1/2.2/3rd if you were given a 'pass' mark.
Reply 6
hmm thanks, i might just tell them i passed then (assuming i do) and that my reports through the year have all been 2.1 (which they have)
Reply 7
The difference between mods and prelims is that mods are classified in the normal way, whereas prelims are just distinction/pass/fail. I don't know for the life of me what the difference between mods and honour mods is though. However, you can still say "I got the equivalent of a 2.i" if you want, it makes sense.

OP, even if you could resit, it wouldn't count, but I'm pretty sure it's not possible to anyway.
Reply 8
The difference between mods and prelims is that mods are classified in the normal way, whereas prelims are just distinction/pass/fail. I don't know for the life of me what the difference between mods and honour mods is though. However, you can still say "I got the equivalent of a 2.i" if you want, it makes sense.

OP, even if you could resit, it wouldn't count, but I'm pretty sure it's not possible to anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by Bezzler

I did honour mods (I think) and we only got 1st, 2nd, 3rd, pass, fail (I think). The only difference I can think of might be that mods get a upper 2nd, lower 2nd class distinction, honour mods don't?
Reply 10
Original post by JoMo1
I did honour mods (I think) and we only got 1st, 2nd, 3rd, pass, fail (I think). The only difference I can think of might be that mods get a upper 2nd, lower 2nd class distinction, honour mods don't?

Oooh, that would make sense actually. There's a reason they let you in, isn't there?
Reply 11
Original post by Bezzler
Oooh, that would make sense actually. There's a reason they let you in, isn't there?

Revision for 2nd year exams says differently.

I feel this might be an acceptable place to say: screw you Oxford and your freakishly hard maths course!
Original post by JoMo1

Yeah I think that's the difference, but the other way round. I got an Upper 2nd in my Honour Mods.
Reply 13
Original post by JoMo1
Revision for 2nd year exams says differently.

I feel this might be an acceptable place to say: screw you Oxford and your freakishly hard maths course!

You're revising for your second year exams already?! Good grief, my mathmo friends would come round and strangle you, I think...
Reply 14
Original post by Bezzler
You're revising for your second year exams already?! Good grief, my mathmo friends would come round and strangle you, I think...

Work at home while there's nothing to do, more pimms, punting and croquet in Trinity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending