The Student Room Group

Lat pulldown injured abs?

Basically was doing lat pulldowns on a weights machine and it pulledon one of my abs somehow now it's really sore, don' know what I did wrong?

I use a v-grip like this and have done for months without problem:

not me btw in pic
Reply 1
Maybe it's a hernia, although I doubt it. Probably just muscle strain.

Have you recently moved up the weight? Do you contract you abdominal muscles while you do the exercise?, did you warm up?
Reply 2
Original post by U.S Lecce
Maybe it's a hernia, although I doubt it. Probably just muscle strain.

Have you recently moved up the weight? Do you contract you abdominal muscles while you do the exercise?, did you warm up?

Never warm up, stretch or do any cardio, I'm a very slim guy
Reply 3
Original post by gonzalez7
Never warm up, stretch or do any cardio, I'm a very slim guy

There's your problem! You don't need to do loads of cardio, but you need to warm up and stretch or else things like this will happen! An ab strain (if that's what it is) can quickly turn into a hernia. I'd rest off for a while, until you feel better. If the pain doesn't reduce in the next few day go see your gp to make sure it's nothing serious. And from now on warm up. Also don't do a weight that is too heavy, it's good to push yourself, it's bad to strain yourself.
Reply 4
There's your problem! You don't need to do loads of cardio, but you need to warm up and stretch or else things like this will happen! An ab strain (if that's what it is) can quickly turn into a hernia. I'd rest off for a while, until you feel better. If the pain doesn't reduce in the next few day go see your gp to make sure it's nothing serious. And from now on warm up. Also don't do a weight that is too heavy, it's good to push yourself, it's bad to strain yourself.

cheers for the advice, will do
Reply 5
Original post by gonzalez7
cheers for the advice, will do

It places a strain on your abs as they have to stabalise your body still. My abs used to ache while doing that with the close grip bar for heavy weights, nothing to worry about unless its a pull
Reply 6

shouldn't stretch before exercise, stretch after
Reply 7
Original post by a_t
shouldn't stretch before exercise, stretch after

Why?

I've always warmed up then stretched before exercising, and most people i know do it this way.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Why?

Static stretching prior to lifting decreases strength.

Static stretching before exercise does not decrease the risk of injury.

Static stretching after exercise increases flexibility to a greater degree than static stretching before.

Dynamic stretching is ok before workout, but most people don't know what that is

Have a read

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html
Reply 9
Original post by a_t
Static stretching prior to lifting decreases strength.

Static stretching before exercise does not decrease the risk of injury.

Static stretching after exercise increases flexibility to a greater degree than static stretching before.

Dynamic stretching is ok before workout, but most people don't know what that is

Have a read

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html

Interesting read. I've always done a small warm up and then a stretched before exercise, especially before wieghts, simply because that's what I've always been told to do. Luckily when I started american football I started doing dynamic stretching.
I would still suggest a warm up though before weight lifting just to get some good blood flow to the muscles.
Reply 10
Interesting read. I've always done a small warm up and then a stretched before exercise, especially before wieghts, simply because that's what I've always been told to do. Luckily when I started american football I started doing dynamic stretching.
I would still suggest a warm up though before weight lifting just to get some good blood flow to the muscles.

I just do a low warm up set, and sometimes 5-10 mins on an ergo, we do dynamic stretching before boxing
Reply 11
Static stretching before lifting doesn’t necessarily decrease strength. It does put your body into a position it’s not familiar with while exercising and causes your body to have to relearn engrams it’s stored because your body is in a new position. For example, squatting requires many many small movements we don’t think about. We don’t think about them because our body has learned the movement as one movement rather than several small ones. Now your body realizes it’s out of position and your brain has to recalculate the movement from scratch making you seem weaker when in essence you aren’t.But yeah don’t stretch beforehand. You’re ****ing up your engrams
this post form 7 years ago is in my feed wtf?

Quick Reply

Latest