The Student Room Group

less undergrads in 2012 ?

I was browsing around on bournemouth unis website a little wile ago and found this

Our student-centred learning environment emphasises both intellectual achievement and employability

In 2012 our University will be 20 years old; potential UK undergraduate numbers will be falling; core government funding for research will be much more open to us; full economic costing of teaching will be well established; the cap on undergraduate fees will, in all probability, have been raised or removed; student expectations will have increased markedly; our HEFCE grant will provide under a third of our income and we will be in an extremely competitive environment for all of our activities.

do you think this will be true

i suppose in a way that some people who go to uni just for the sake of a big 3 year party and don't care about the academic side might not go but surely if they don't want the good grades any way they wont be worried about making over the fresh hold and having to pay back there student loans.
I would like to think that when i start uni in 2012 there will still be lots of people there that do want to have fun but at the same time genuinely want to achieve good grades and end up with a good job.
Reply 1
I was under the impression that there would be more undergraduates in the future due to the high competition for jobs in higher salary ranges.
Reply 2
I think that at the top universities it will be just as competitive, however at the bottom end universities there will be a lot more people who seriously consider not going to universities. However I think 2012, the same year I'm starting university, there won't be an huge instantous change, rather it will drop of an bit over time
Reply 3
Original post by alpesh m
I think that at the top universities it will be just as competitive, however at the bottom end universities there will be a lot more people who seriously consider not going to universities. However I think 2012, the same year I'm starting university, there won't be an huge instantous change, rather it will drop of an bit over time

i wouldn't in my opinion say that bournemouth was a bottom end university (obviously not a top either lol) but in tables for media it is placed top ten although it is around the 50 mark in overall rankings. At what point do you think that people are going to start considering this and how far down the ranking would you personally stop

and if you dont mind me asking what uni are you planning on going to
Reply 4
Original post by geekay1
i wouldn't in my opinion say that bournemouth was a bottom end university (obviously not a top either lol) but in tables for media it is placed top ten although it is around the 50 mark in overall rankings. At what point do you think that people are going to start considering this and how far down the ranking would you personally stop

and if you dont mind me asking what uni are you planning on going to

Sorry I didn't mean that bournemouth were an bottom end university, in fact I've got a cousin whos is tudying there and thinks its fantastic, but there may be an few people who don't apply as a result of the increase as it is an mid-ranking university, it was just an general comment on what I beleived would happen to university applicants overall. I don't think there is any cut of point, but more that after the top 10 fo rthe subject, but obviously this is dependant on the subject, for example medicine is still well worth doing due to potential future earnings at whatever university you get into. At a point there may be a small effect of the incresed tution fees which will get larger as we go down the rankings table.
For example London Southbank University one of the lowest ranked universities announced fees of 8.5k, which will result in many applicants not applying to the uni.

I am still in my first year of A-levels but am planning to apply to oxbridge (not sure which one but probably wont get in anyway), warwick, durham, Nottingham etc.
Original post by geekay1
x

I think numbers will fall, yes. Since 2005 there had been a reduction in the number of people in higher education and I think this downward trend will be set to continue when higher fees will kick in. I think it will be the poorest students who will be most dissuaded to not go to university as when they leave they will be left with mortgaged sized debts that will take decades to pay off.
Oxford Brooks has just announced it will charge the max £9000 fee and said that one its justifications for doing so would a reduction of the student population by around 10% - 15%.
Reply 7
Original post by alpesh m
Sorry I didn't mean that bournemouth were an bottom end university, in fact I've got a cousin whos is tudying there and thinks its fantastic, but there may be an few people who don't apply as a result of the increase as it is an mid-ranking university, it was just an general comment on what I beleived would happen to university applicants overall. I don't think there is any cut of point, but more that after the top 10 fo rthe subject, but obviously this is dependant on the subject, for example medicine is still well worth doing due to potential future earnings at whatever university you get into. At a point there may be a small effect of the incresed tution fees which will get larger as we go down the rankings table.
For example London Southbank University one of the lowest ranked universities announced fees of 8.5k, which will result in many applicants not applying to the uni.

I am still in my first year of A-levels but am planning to apply to oxbridge (not sure which one but probably wont get in anyway), warwick, durham, Nottingham etc.

hmm yeah thats fine lol i m going to go bournemouth as i want to do advertising and marketing and it a media subject so yeah good uni for that :smile:

Original post by ultimate mashup
Oxford Brooks has just announced it will charge the max £9000 fee and said that one its justifications for doing so would a reduction of the student population by around 10% - 15%.

hmm thats interesting 10-15 is a high percentage to expect to loose in one year
Reply 8
I bet the reason they are predicting a large drop is because there was a spike of applicants this year, due to people who'd been putting it off trying to beat the fee increase. Besides less people with degrees = less competition for jobs, for qualifications anyways.

I personally wouldn't factor the price increase in my decision. If the job you want to do realistically requires you to have a degree, you should get it. Even if it's means losing 10% of your earnings for the rest of your life, an extra 18k for 30-40 years of higher pay and more interesting jobs with interesting people is still a damn good trade.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by alwaysme
I bet the reason they are predicting a large drop is because there was a spike of applicants this year, due to people who'd been putting it off trying to beat the fee increase. Besides less people with degrees = less competition for jobs, for qualifications anyways.

I personally wouldn't factor the price increase in my decision. If the job you want to do realistically requires you to have a degree, you should get it. Even if it's means losing 10% of your earnings for the rest of your life, an extra 18k for 30-40 years of higher pay and more interesting jobs with interesting people is still a damn good trade.

There isn't much difference anyway between thosewith and without degrees :frown:
Reply 10
Hmm.. maybe. Though some lower ranking unis might see more applicants because they'll have lower fees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending