The Student Room Group

No gas pedal rubber, will it fail MOT?

Hello there!

I've been told that having no rubber on my gas pedal means that my car will instantly fail its MOT.

Now, here's the problem. I have a Peugeot 106 and they don't come with with a gas pedal rubber as standard and loads of people don't have them. Furthermore, when I took it in for a service, the man dealt with everything that needed changing and he said nothing about the pedal rubber so I'm starting to wonder if I actually need one?

Thanks in advance!
I don't know, I know that a friend's car failed for not having rubber on the brake pedal. However it cost her exactly £1.99 to have it sorted (at the garage she had the MOT done), so even if it does fail on that, you are not exactly looking at a huge expense.

Edit: Quick search on the internet says you should be alright, it is just the brake and clutch that you need rubber on.
(edited 13 years ago)
dont think so my dads cars rubber has come off the peddle its still pretty wide tho, passed mot last week, if its just a stick then u might be better of jus gettin one and puttin it on just incase
Reply 3
Original post by rmhumphries
I don't know, I know that a friend's car failed for not having rubber on the brake pedal. However it cost her exactly £1.99 to have it sorted (at the garage she had the MOT done), so even if it does fail on that, you are not exactly looking at a huge expense.

Thanks for the reply.

See now this is the problem, because there isn't actually a gas pedal rubber for a Peugeot 106, I don't know where to get one from. I don't know if I trust those universal pedal covers either.
Original post by umop apisdn
Thanks for the reply.

See now this is the problem, because there isn't actually a gas pedal rubber for a Peugeot 106, I don't know where to get one from. I don't know if I trust those universal pedal covers either.

You should be ok, worst case, you put it in for MOT, then if it did fail you can see how much the garage will fit one for. As per my edit above, I don't think it will be an issue :smile:
Not unless the pedals don't react properly.

You'll be fine.
Reply 6
Original post by Manesh2468
dont think so my dads cars rubber has come off the peddle its still pretty wide tho, passed mot last week, if its just a stick then u might be better of jus gettin one and puttin it on just incase

Original post by rmhumphries
You should be ok, worst case, you put it in for MOT, then if it did fail you can see how much the garage will fit one for. As per my edit above, I don't think it will be an issue :smile:

Original post by Liverpool's Number 9
Not unless the pedals don't react properly.

You'll be fine.

Thanks all!
youll be fine. the brake pedal is the only pedal that it is compulsory to have a rubber on in modern cars.

I seriously doubt a modern manufacturer would sell a car that didnt comply with construction and use regulations and hence incapable of passing MoT.
Reply 8
Nope you'll be fine.
Most of my cars were never fitted with rubber covers from new. Make sure you've got one on the brake and clutch pedal, though.

BTW, it's a "throttle" or an "accelerator" pedal.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending