The Student Room Group

AS History A*

Hey everyone, Im currently studying CCEA AS history at my school and am thinking of striving towards the a star grade

The modules I study are Russia under Tsar Nicholas 2, Lenin and Stalin + Nazi Germany from later Weimar Republic to the outbreak of war

I am asking for some guidance on which books to be, as Im assuming for an A* extra reading is necessary

Any general tips for aiming for an overall A* grade in History are welcome too

Cheers,

Tom :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
You can't get an A* at AS level
Reply 2
You can't get an A* at AS.
Original post by thetobbit
Hey everyone, Im currently studying CCEA AS history at my school and am thinking of striving towards the a star grade

The modules I study are Russia under Tsar Nicholas 2, Lenin and Stalin + Nazi Germany from later Weimar Republic to the outbreak of war

I am asking for some guidance on which books to be, as Im assuming for an A* extra reading is necessary

Any general tips for gaining an A* in History are welcome too

Cheers,

Tom :smile:

You can get 90% UMS or higher at AS, but even 100% at AS isn't an A*. There is no A* at AS, sorry mate!
First- don't worry about getting an A*, you only get that in your second year :smile:

One book which is really good and not heavy: Stalin and Stalinism by Martin McCauley.

Plus there must be absolute tons of stuff about Nazi Germany in the library!
Reply 5
oh yes sorry I phrased that wrongly. I am aware you cannot score a A* at AS so really I mean how get a grade that will put me in good stead for an A* at A2
Reply 6
As said above there is no A* at AS. Getting a higher mark will make it significantly easier to get an A overall though.

To get an A* overall you need an A at AS and then 90% average at A2.
Original post by thetobbit
I am asking for some guidance on which books to be, as Im assuming for an A* extra reading is necessary.
:no: You do not need to read additional material for these papers. If you have a textbook, this should suffice. The same applies for A2 tbh. But if you tell me what you do next year I could probably find some supplementary material to boost your textbook knowledge. But seriously, your textbook is all you need at this level.
oh yes sorry I phrased that wrongly. I am aware you cannot score a A* at AS so really I mean how get a grade that will put me in good stead for an A* at A2
It is calculated by a minimum of 90% in A2 whilst averaging 80% in the whole A level.

So technically you could get a B in your first year but come out with an A* overall with 90% in your second year (thus averaging 80+%).
But in reality, the only candidates that are likely to score A* are those who have attained in region of 90% in their AS
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending