The Student Room Group

The Mensa Home Test - A scam?

I recently sent off for the Mensa home test and it arrived a few days ago. I have completed it and found it to be really easy, in fact a little too easy which has led me to ask some questions (preferably to TSR members who have completed + sent back the home test).

Firstly (again these questions are aimed at people who have taken the test and had it marked), did you find it extremely easy? The only reason I ask this is because they have massive money making potential here: set a really easy home test and charge £7.50 to mark, most people with only slightly above average IQs do really well and get told in the letter "well done, you should take a supervised test for £15.00"... you see where I am going with this.

Secondly, if you sent it away to be marked, what sort of mark/response did you get. Were you told to take the supervised test, or did they tell you it wasn't worth it?

I would appreciate some insight here as if most people are told take the supervised test after having the home test marked then I will go straight to booking the supervised test as opposed to paying the 7.50 on top of the 15.00 or so for the supervised test.
Reply 1
I'm not trying to doubt their integrity as an intellectual organisation or anything, it's just I didn't think my IQ was sky high or anything yet I found it so easy!
It's not a scam. I got an IQ of 140 from the test. It's not a scam
Reply 3
Original post by Simplicity
It's not a scam. I got an IQ of 140 from the test. It's not a scam

Thanks for the reply, just to confirm, that was from the home test yes? In which case, did you go on to take the supervised test and become a mensa member?
Original post by DrSwitched
I recently sent off for the Mensa home test and it arrived a few days ago. I have completed it and found it to be really easy, in fact a little too easy which has led me to ask some questions (preferably to TSR members who have completed + sent back the home test).

Firstly (again these questions are aimed at people who have taken the test and had it marked), did you find it extremely easy? The only reason I ask this is because they have massive money making potential here: set a really easy home test and charge £7.50 to mark, most people with only slightly above average IQs do really well and get told in the letter "well done, you should take a supervised test for £15.00"... you see where I am going with this.

Secondly, if you sent it away to be marked, what sort of mark/response did you get. Were you told to take the supervised test, or did they tell you it wasn't worth it?

I would appreciate some insight here as if most people are told take the supervised test after having the home test marked then I will go straight to booking the supervised test as opposed to paying the 7.50 on top of the 15.00 or so for the supervised test.

The home test is bull - I did the real one (at the test centre) and got in - I'm now a member of MENSA. Not really of much use though =/ It's not like it's a proper qualification that could get you a job in the future.
Thanks for the reply, just to confirm, that was from the home test yes? In which case, did you go on to take the supervised test and become a mensa member?

I was lying. Does that answer your question?
Reply 6
Original post by thegodofgod
The home test is bull - I did the real one (at the test centre) and got in - I'm now a member of MENSA. Not really of much use though =/ It's not like it's a proper qualification that could get you a job in the future.

Yeah I've heard from a friend who is in that it's not really worth it, however I am still driven to try and enter xD

So just to confirm your opinion, the home test wasn't a good indicator for you (I assume you've taken it and had the mark back - what did they say when they sent the mark back, that you should take a supervised test)?
Reply 7
Original post by Simplicity
I was lying. Does that answer your question?

No it just irritates me. Leave? :P
Yeah I've heard from a friend who is in that it's not really worth it, however I am still driven to try and enter xD

So just to confirm your opinion, the home test wasn't a good indicator for you (I assume you've taken it and had the mark back - what did they say when they sent the mark back, that you should take a supervised test)?

No, just that the home test was a lot easier than the actual test - not really of much point!
Reply 9
Original post by thegodofgod
No, just that the home test was a lot easier than the actual test - not really of much point!

Oh ok, thanks.
I don't really wanna do it any more, I mean, it's top 2% or something which isn't that exclusive considering westcliff selects top 25% or something and we're in like the top 5% of it
Reply 11
I've not seen it but are you supposed to be time limited? finishing within the time is a big part of the difficulty with the proper tests.
Reply 12
Original post by Refrigerator
I don't really wanna do it any more, I mean, it's top 2% or something which isn't that exclusive considering westcliff selects top 25% or something and we're in like the top 5% of it

It's you :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending