The Student Room Group

Now I realise how sacred the NHS is to us

The Con-Dem plans for reform to the NHS demonstrate how big a crown-jewel the NHS is to the British people and something that cannot be touched.

Margaret Thatcher learnt the hard way in the 1980s; now David Cameron is.

The NHS, untouchable. :smile:

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The NHS is the worst healthcare system in the western world. Our cancer survival rates are abysmal compared to the US.
Reply 2
Original post by Lassilsa
The NHS is the worst healthcare system in the western world. Our cancer survival rates are abysmal compared to the US.

Go bleat in the socialized healthcare thread and you will see how wrong you are.

Meh I have mixed feelings on the healthcare changes. But now I think Cameron needs to drop them. The government looks weak and pathetic. They need to stop now before it gets any worse.
NHS FTW.
All I know is that if I had to pay now for my healthcare, i'd be buggered. This week alone, i've had; and ECHO scan, an EEG, an MRI scan and routine tests.
I am so so so grateful that i'm getting this care for 'free', (ie, not having to pay thousands of pounds upfront) I feel very lucky.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5

What and making moves to gradually privatise it is the way to go about improving it?
Reply 6
No it's not free you goons; my parents are robbed to pay for it.
Reply 7
They were a terrible system of changes, and this is from someone who thinks an awful lot is wrong with the NHS currently. What should be being focused on is the administrators and their associated duties created by extraneous paperwork. On a less contentious note, hospitals should go back to using bleach and just keep some unbleached sheets in reserve for those allergic.
Reply 8

Free at the point of use then
Reply 9
Original post by tory88
They were a terrible system of changes, and this is from someone who thinks an awful lot is wrong with the NHS currently. What should be being focused on is the administrators and their associated duties created by extraneous paperwork. On a less contentious note, hospitals should go back to using bleach and just keep some unbleached sheets in reserve for those allergic.

we do use bleach.
Reply 10

No-one's saying it's free - how can it possibly be?

But the fact is we do not have to pay at the point of service, which in many other countries you do.
Reply 11

Take it from someone who's had chemotherapy under the NHS, thats utter *******s. Idiot :rolleyes:
Reply 12

And what would cancer survival rates be without the NHS?.I'm glad we have the NHS, I bet many, many people in this country woud be dead without it.
Reply 13
Original post by rodcarter
Take it from someone who's had chemotherapy under the NHS, thats utter *******s. Idiot :rolleyes:

Anecdotal evidence isn't what a healthcare system should be based on. Idiot.

Check our survival rates if you're still not convinced. The NHS is a drain on taxpayers' purses for very little benefit.
Reply 14
Anecdotal evidence isn't what a healthcare system should be based on. Idiot.

Check our survival rates if you're still not convinced. The NHS is a drain on taxpayers' purses for very little benefit.

If you feel so strongly, you should just opt out of using the NHS. Take a stand. Next time you're sick just go to Holland & Barretts.
Reply 15

Compared to the US where you dishing out thousands of dollars what do you expect. The NHS does a average job, but majority of people couldn't pay upfront for when they get sick.

If you dislike the NHS then go pay for Private healthcare.
Reply 16

You favour a healthcare system that is happy to let you die where you lie if you dont have the right paperwork, where investigators are hired to screw you out of healthcare and where you have to pay $60 just to see a doctor over the NHS?

Really...?
Reply 17
Original post by crazyunicorn133
All I know is that if I had to pay now for my healthcare, i'd be buggered. This week alone, i've had; and ECHO scan, an EEG, an MRI scan and routine tests.
I am so so so grateful that i'm getting this care for 'free', (ie, not having to pay thousands of pounds upfront) I feel very lucky.

It's absolute madness to suggest paying up-front for every treatment is the only method of paying for healthcare treatment.

Original post by Hey TSR
What and making moves to gradually privatise it is the way to go about improving it?

Oh yes.

Original post by Annie72
And what would cancer survival rates be without the NHS?.I'm glad we have the NHS, I bet many, many people in this country woud be dead without it.

I suspect a great many people would be alive if we replaced it with a better service too.
Original post by rodcarter
If you feel so strongly, you should just opt out of using the NHS. Take a stand. Next time you're sick just go to Holland & Barretts.

He can't exactly opt out of paying for it though, can he...

We should keep the NHS, of course, but I do think people have an overly knee-jerk reaction to any changes. It does have massive problems and inefficiencies. What Lansley is doing may not all be right, but I wish people would accept that the NHS is far from perfect.

And there's a lot of misinformation going around, too - the idea behind the reforms, however flawed they might be, is not that we suddenly have to pay for everything.
Reply 19
Original post by EggmanD

Original post by EggmanD
You favour a healthcare system that is happy to let you die where you lie if you dont have the right paperwork, where investigators are hired to screw you out of healthcare and where you have to pay $60 just to see a doctor over the NHS?

Really...?

+1

No matter what reforms are done to the NHS, people will always want more - it's natural. You cannot please everyone
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending