The Student Room Group

Need advice, Hull or York?

I'm looking for advice on whether to accept a place at York on a social and political science course (ll32) or PPE at Hull? Ideally I want to read PPE but I've heard York is pretty awesome. I am a triathlete so I am looking for somewhere with good sports facilities. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated
Reply 1
hey, i live in york, and its not all that great to be honest, especially for night life. not too sure of its sports facilities as im not that into sports but there are a few gyms etc on the outskirts. York uni is a good uni though, is it york or york st john?
Reply 2
Sports facilities at York aren't great, a lot of treadmills but that's about it. I'd do the course you prefer, because 3 years is a long time to spend on something you're not too keen on.
Reply 3
It's the university of York, do either of you know any about PPE at Hull? I thinly you're right in saying I should go for the subject I'm going to enjoy
Reply 4
Without doubt York is the better university. However, as '_Mazza_' put it 3 years is a very long time to spend at a university that you're not particularly happy with. I've been at Hull for just under 4 years now (doing my MChem) and I loved every minute of it. I start my PhD at Durham this October and if could have my time again I would still go to Hull. If I were you, I'd go to each campus (on the same day) and just get a feel for the place and pick the one that resonates with you :smile:

Hope this helps,

Adam
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by smcleod
It's the university of York, do either of you know any about PPE at Hull? I thinly you're right in saying I should go for the subject I'm going to enjoy

I have got exactly the same dilemma as you, York for social and political science or PPE at Hull. I am still waiting for SOAS and Lancaster for politics and development studies or PPE respectively. I been to Hull the campus is nice, and so are the teaching staff. To be honest the city is quite pleasant, giving all the bad press. York is arguably the better university though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm waiting for a reply from Lancaster aswell for PPE lol. Thanks for all of the advice ppl, I'm going to wait to hear from Lancaster then make my decision but i'm leaning towards Hull
Reply 7
I would advise considering three main aspects:

1. The courses and the respective departments - they are very different, and you need to decide which you'd be happiest studying. Did you apply for PPE at York and got an offer for SPS? I ask because that seems to be what has been happening to quite a lot of people. If so, you need to seriously consider whether you find SPS interesting enough.

2. The universities and cities - whether you're happy living in the area that you'll be living in matters hugely. It's a bit difficult to tell from just visiting, so I would suggest talking to people at the respective universities about their experiences. What sort of a life do you want?

3. Prestige - what career do you want to go into? Going to Hull effectively closes off certain careers, unless you do postgrad elsewhere. The most exclusive professions screen based on university, and the difference between the prestige of the two universities is significant. However, don't think that this matters as much as some on TSR will have you think. If you're not happy with a course or university, you won't do well in it, and getting a bad grade of degree will bugger you over more than going to a middling ranked university. Furthermore, you may end up unhappy for three years - a prospect not to be taken lightly.
Reply 8
Original post by smcleod
I'm waiting for a reply from Lancaster aswell for PPE lol. Thanks for all of the advice ppl, I'm going to wait to hear from Lancaster then make my decision but i'm leaning towards Hull

To be honest with you if I do not get into Lancaster I will be going to York to read the SPS, and then pay for a master in PPE. My family is willing to bankroll me for a master as they take academia very seriously. If you do not want to do an MA it is best that you go straight into a BA which allows you to do what you want.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by acalow1989
Without doubt York is the better university. However, as '_Mazza_' put it 3 years is a very long time to spend at a university that you're not particularly happy with. I've been at Hull for just under 4 years now (doing my MChem) and I loved every minute of it. I start my PhD at Durham this October and if could have my time again I would still go to Hull. If I were you, I'd go to each campus (on the same day) and just get a feel for the place and pick the one that resonates with you :smile:

Hope this helps,

Adam

Thanks Adam, so I guess going to Hull wasn't a barrier to you being accepted by Durham?
Reply 10
No problem!

Not at all, the fact that I'd gone to Uni at Hull was never really questioned. If you get a first from any UK institute it says a lot about a person. All UK universities have their mark schemes standardised against an external body anyway.

Can you compare undergraduate chemistry at Hull to undergraduate chemistry at Imperial? I'm not sure, but like I said the exam mark schemes are standardised externally. More importantly you can standardise you own education by reading directly from the literature or any text book that is aimed at postgraduate students as these set the standards for any of the top universities in the world.

Hope this helps x

Adam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending