The Student Room Group

Newcastle or Leeds?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by black_alder
I've got the same problem. Can't decide between these two. I am going for business course and somehow my heart leans towards Newcastle although I've never been there (I'm Lithuanian on a gap year right now and I'm spending my gap year in Leeds). I know that Newcastle is smaller city than Leeds so the main concern for me is part time job availability in both cities. Does anyone know anything about that? I mean is it hard to find a part time job in Newcastle for a student? Or at least is it harder/easier than in Leeds?

i feel the same way - my heart leans towards newcastle, but i'm not sure why! i don't really have any idea about job availability - i live in london, so i'm not at all close, and i'd never visited either city before looking around them for uni. newcastle IS smaller than leeds, but i don't think that that would impact too much on the availability of part-time work, to be honest. with any luck, you might be able to get a job within the university itself? i'm sure both of the unions can help sort out jobs and you can always get positions at the union, although i suppose leeds does have a bigger union so might have slightly better services for helping you to find jobs, and might have more availability for uni jobs. sorry, i'm not much of a help! but i reckon you wouldn't see much of a difference, so i'd go with where you feel you'd most fit in/enjoy the course :smile: what course are you doing?
Original post by icygem
i feel the same way - my heart leans towards newcastle, but i'm not sure why! i don't really have any idea about job availability - i live in london, so i'm not at all close, and i'd never visited either city before looking around them for uni. newcastle IS smaller than leeds, but i don't think that that would impact too much on the availability of part-time work, to be honest. with any luck, you might be able to get a job within the university itself? i'm sure both of the unions can help sort out jobs and you can always get positions at the union, although i suppose leeds does have a bigger union so might have slightly better services for helping you to find jobs, and might have more availability for uni jobs. sorry, i'm not much of a help! but i reckon you wouldn't see much of a difference, so i'd go with where you feel you'd most fit in/enjoy the course :smile: what course are you doing?

I guess Newcastle has sort of a good energy coming from it because we're not the only ones who feel this way :smile:
Maybe you're right, part-time job availability shouldn't be the biggest criteria in making such a decision. Anyway, I think I have to go to Newcastle and see it for myself, maybe next weekend or soemthing... Maybe that'll help make a decision :smile:
Well, I applied for business management in Newcastle and management with marketing in Leeds. It's not the same but there wasn't pure 'business management' course in university of leeds so I chose what seemed closer to my needs (I was interested more in a city than a course to be honest) :smile:
What about you?
Reply 22
I guess Newcastle has sort of a good energy coming from it because we're not the only ones who feel this way :smile:
Maybe you're right, part-time job availability shouldn't be the biggest criteria in making such a decision. Anyway, I think I have to go to Newcastle and see it for myself, maybe next weekend or soemthing... Maybe that'll help make a decision :smile:
Well, I applied for business management in Newcastle and management with marketing in Leeds. It's not the same but there wasn't pure 'business management' course in university of leeds so I chose what seemed closer to my needs (I was interested more in a city than a course to be honest) :smile:
What about you?

haha what i love about newcastle is how much everyone seems to love it! it makes me feel really positive about it :smile: yeah, i think either way, a part time job will be available in either city if you push hard enough! definitely go and look at newcastle! tell me what you think if you do :smile: ohh, and do you want to do the business management one more? even more of a reason to come to newcastle! haha. i know what you mean though - the city i'm in/the university is very important to me, and i'd be willing to go for a course which is sliiiiiightly less good in exchange for an amazing uni :smile:
I've got the same problem. Can't decide between these two. I am going for business course and somehow my heart leans towards Newcastle although I've never been there (I'm Lithuanian on a gap year right now and I'm spending my gap year in Leeds). I know that Newcastle is smaller city than Leeds so the main concern for me is part time job availability in both cities. Does anyone know anything about that? I mean is it hard to find a part time job in Newcastle for a student? Or at least is it harder/easier than in Leeds?

I live near Newcastle, part time work is fairly hard to come by at the moment because the work situation round here isn't good at the moment.
Original post by icygem
ooh yay! did you apply early? the accommodation opened on a friday i think and i applied by the monday (my offer hadn't yet gone through - i got the offer on the day accommodation opened haha) so hopefully i'll get my choice! and sounds like we might be in the same halls :smile:

Yeah I applied pretty much as soon as I was able to firm it! Yeah the woman said to me that the application isn't actually processed until you meet the conditions but they process them in the order they received them (if that makes sense).
Reply 25
Original post by Ayshizzle
Yeah I applied pretty much as soon as I was able to firm it! Yeah the woman said to me that the application isn't actually processed until you meet the conditions but they process them in the order they received them (if that makes sense).

is your offer conditional or unconditional? all the lucky gap-yearers (and maybe postgraduates as well?) get the first pick haha.
Original post by icygem
is your offer conditional or unconditional? all the lucky gap-yearers (and maybe postgraduates as well?) get the first pick haha.

It's conditional =/ reallly wish they'd given me an unconditional! Yeah gap- yearers will get placed first, then probs post- grads (we get our results in July). But the accomodation lady told me pretty much everyone gets their 1st or 2nd choice so it should be fine :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Ayshizzle
It's conditional =/ reallly wish they'd given me an unconditional! Yeah gap- yearers will get placed first, then probs post- grads (we get our results in July). But the accomodation lady told me pretty much everyone gets their 1st or 2nd choice so it should be fine :smile:

:frown: what's your offer? 2:1 or something? yaaay fingers crossed then :smile: hopefully we'll get ours, especially since we applied early!
Reply 28
Lotte, Newcastle!
Original post by icygem
:frown: what's your offer? 2:1 or something? yaaay fingers crossed then :smile: hopefully we'll get ours, especially since we applied early!

Yeah it's for a 2:1, which isn't as bad as AAA at A Level (apart from the fact that it's a degree) as there's a massive space for each grade if that makes sense!

Eeeeee it's so exciting! September can't come quick enough =)
Reply 30
I would suggest newcastle...no special reason though!
I'd say Leeds
I think both are good universities, but Newcastle would be my pick. Everything about Newcastle seems nice :redface:
Reply 33
Hi I'm pretty torn on where to go as well! Any insights on what's the best thing about each place.. for medicine?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending