The Student Room Group

Is David Cameron right that mass immigration has damaged communities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Ventura7
stupid people except 3 pound an hour because its technically illegal.

if your so proud of immigrants doing this, why dont you go get paid £3 an hour?

its not that were too proud to do it, its just were not retarded enough to do it.

And dont talk about brits being too proud to do jobs, this is not a western thing, My mate from Saudi said it will be very hard to find a Saudi plumber or cafe worker etc. they think they are too good for it.

British employers do not do this, only small independent ones do, i think your generalising, you must e fresh of the boat?

Firstly, I am not English, I am an immigrant. I worked for many employers, British included, and noticed how inhuman they can be (that's when you don't speak English yet or came to the country recently).

I worked for a Hotel chain and a food factory and most of the people did not even speak English! They were paid low wages by the employer and they is no way they could have complained. I quit after a very short time, and normally, everyone does when they get another job, but the problem is that because of their financial situation, they have to accept any job as long as they get some money.
These employers were by no means small! I really don't want to give names, but the Hotel chain is quite well-known! What I hated was that they paid room attendants after 3 weeks of being in the job and if you quit earlier, you got nothing.Most people had recently arrived in the uk, could not make a full sentence and so, they did not know the laws and what they were entitled to. It was not possible to dissuade them from leaving unless you found them another job (understandable).
The work was physically demanding and I feel for all the Polish and African women working there! I also worked in a nursery where I was paid a very low wage. My boss was earning something like 150-200 000 pounds a year, yet we received a meagre salary because he knew we needed the job (and the money, however little).

I don't know about Saudis and never said pride is a Western thing (after all, Polish workers accept any job for any wage).
I am not fresh of the boat, it's something I have observed in my area. Lots of English people at the very top and at the bottom, you see all the immigrants/ethnic minorities. For instance, in a hospital, the bosses are English, but the 'domestic assistants' are Black African ladies. Not a single English person!
(edited 13 years ago)
No, what the Tories are doing is damaging communities. The IMMIGRANTS I work with are lovely, and they're not able to extend their visas anymore because of the stupid Tories.
Original post by itzme
Firstly, I am not English, I am an immigrant. I worked for many employers, British included, and noticed how inhuman they can be (that's when you don't speak English yet or came to the country recently).

I worked for a Hotel chain and a food factory and most of the people did not even speak English! They were paid low wages by the employer and they is no way they could have complained. I quit after a very short time, and normally, everyone does when they get another job, but the problem is that because of their financial situation, they have to accept any job as long as they get some money.
These employers were by no means small! I really don't want to give names, but the Hotel chain is quite well-known! What I hated was that they paid room attendants after 3 weeks of being in the job and if you quit earlier, you got nothing.Most people had recently arrived in the uk, could not make a full sentence and so, they did not know the laws and what they were entitled to. It was not possible to dissuade them from leaving unless you found them another job (understandable).
The work was physically demanding and I feel for all the Polish and African women working there! I also worked in a nursery where I was paid a very low wage. My boss was earning something like 150-200 000 pounds a year, yet we received a meagre salary because he knew we needed the job (and the money, however little).

I don't know about Saudis and never said pride is a Western thing (after all, Polish workers accept any job for any wage).
I am not fresh of the boat, it's something I have observed in my area. Lots of English people at the very top and at the bottom, you see all the immigrants/ethnic minorities. For instance, in a hospital, the bosses are English, but the 'domestic assistants' are Black African ladies. Not a single English person!

ok my bad sorry, but people should have to learn english when they come here, some are so ignoratn and wont even attempt to learn it, i can see you have which is good :smile: do you not agree learning the language should be compulsory?
Reply 183
Original post by baldwin123
Yes, yes, yes but immigrants come from totally different economic conditions. As a working British man, I cannot afford to accept a very low paid job, because I cannot live on the money, or support my family. I would love the luxury of being able to accept a job as a bin man and have no stress at work and be able to manage on it financially but I cant. Instead I have to hunt for well paid but horribly stressful work in my chosen industry and STILL be skint every month due to being robbed by the tax office and fleeced by the utility companies and all of the rest of the horrible **** that modern life involves.

I totally understand you. I cannot accept a low salary because life is expensive, but at times I did have to do very low paid jobs because sometimes I think it's better to have something than nothing. I could not get a better job, so I had to settle for an unskilled one.
Reply 184
Original post by Ventura7
ok my bad sorry, but people should have to learn english when they come here, some are so ignoratn and wont even attempt to learn it, i can see you have which is good :smile: do you not agree learning the language should be compulsory?

You know, it's not that easy to learn English because lots of people are illiterate in their own language, especially women. I am volunteering in a women's centre and many have been here for quite some time, but they cannot read or write in their own language. They have reached an age where learning a language from scratch has become difficult.
Though I have noticed that those who are hardworking eventually learn the language. As do those who try to practice English as much as possible. I think this can be achieved only if you stop staying with people who speak your language. But this poses another problem: when you first come, you stay with your community because you need help in many areas (translating official documents, making GP appointments, enrolling on a course, helping out with shopping...). This need to have people from your own community around you means that it makes it difficult for you to learn English and stand on your own two feet.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 185
I live in Amsterdam as an immigrant - which is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world - and these accusations regarding migrants are rarely made, even though I myself and many other migrants here are nowhere near fluent in Dutch.

Strange.
Reply 186
Original post by effofex
I live in Amsterdam as an immigrant - which is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world - and these accusations regarding migrants are rarely made, even though I myself and many other migrants here are nowhere near fluent in Dutch.

Strange.

Lol, have you seen how much support the Party for Freedom receives in the Netherlands?
Yes and no. Purely because you can have situations where people of different cultures are integrated. This makes a strong community. But equally you can have lots of segregated areas which only further damage communities.
Reply 188
Original post by storna
Lol, have you seen how much support the Party for Freedom receives in the Netherlands?

The PVV are still nowhere near the largest party. They receive relatively little support in Amsterdam. As a migrant (allochtoon / buitlander / vreemdelinger) I have never personally faced any hostility from any of their canvassers (in fact, I've never even seen one). My Dutch colleagues and acquaintances don't even seem to care that I am very far from fluency in their language either. We don't really have a problem with segregation here either.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by pinda.college
So a white person has to speak fluent Punjabi before they're allowed to live in India? That's just pure stupid, if that was the case then nobody would be able to emigrate without being faced with the challenge of trying to learn another language. "I just find that disrespectful; that she hasn't even tried to learn our language, yet she's living off of our country's resources" this pathetic comment just emphasises how ridiculous your' post is. Nothing's 'ours' that's why were open to immigration, you want to research how many 'British people' are sitting at home claiming benefits such as JSA before making rash comments like that. Also immigration of Indians, Chinese, Pakistanis, Romanians, Russians, Polish etc might seem like it's 'breaking society and creating barriers' but it's not, I mean yes the old generation of immigrants might only feel 'confident and safe' to talk to people of their own culture, but their children/gran-children will be educated under the English cirriculum which will without a shadow of doubt allow them to intergrate and break these 'barriers'. I know loads of friends of different races and cultures who contribute to society in a lot more ways that unemployed, benefit grabbing bums.

When the older generation experienced things like this back in the 70's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I54muxMuics

(The bit is at the end), and there's the fact that some people think the sarcasm in there was real(and some still do) The amount of xenophobia/racism was a lot larger in the 60's, 70's and 80's in the UK. Thats about a whole generation's worth. This makes some people think that all White people are racist. In fact, I know some Pakistani families that will say "if you don't do this, the White man will get you" considering that is what happened ie: the plundering of resources from the subcontinent and the fact that there was a lot more racial tension, in previous generations
Reply 190
Original post by itzme
You know, it's not that easy to learn English because lots of people are illiterate in their own language, especially women. I am volunteering in a women's centre and many have been here for quite some time, but they cannot read or write in their own language. They have reached an age where learning a language from scratch has become difficult.
Though I have noticed that those who are hardworking eventually learn the language. As do those who try to practice English as much as possible. I think this can be achieved only if you stop staying with people who speak your language. But this poses another problem: when you first come, you stay with your community because you need help in many areas (translating official documents, making GP appointments, enrolling on a course, helping out with shopping...). This need to have people from your own community around you means that it makes it difficult for you to learn English and stand on your own two feet.

Tough, if they can't speak English they cannot contribute, if they cannot contribute they should not be here.
Original post by baldwin123
British people can't afford to work for minimum wage, we've all got families to support and everythings so expensive now that it isn't possible to make ends meet and pay mortgages, rent etc without earning decent money. Thats not by accident either. The government has engineered it so.

Immigrants can't afford to work for minimum wage, they've all got families to support and everythings so expensive now that it isn't possible to make ends meet and pay mortgages, rent etc without earning decent money. Thats not by accident either. The government has engineered it so.

The same bloody thing applies; bloody idiot
Reply 192
Original post by Scottish
Tough, if they can't speak English they cannot contribute, if they cannot contribute they should not be here.

I don't think this is fully true.

I am an immigrant to the Netherlands, and I cannot speak Dutch, yet I am 'contributing', and the tax authorities here seem to think so too - they even tax me less proportionally than my congruently salaried Dutch colleagues.
Reply 193
Original post by effofex
I don't think this is fully true.

I am an immigrant to the Netherlands, and I cannot speak Dutch, yet I am 'contributing', and the tax authorities here seem to think so too - they even tax me less proportionally than my congruently salaried Dutch colleagues.

What do you work as ?
Reply 194
Original post by Scottish
What do you work as ?

I work for a trading firm. Since English is an international language and often a language of business, I find it highly unlikely that there are significant numbers of people migrating to the UK with a severe lack of English - some may not be fully fluent but would obviously have sufficient rudimentary linguistic ability in order to manage. It would not be in the interests of a migrant to the UK to not learn English since it would also severely restrict his/her ability to get well-paid employment (which forms most of the motivation to come to the UK in the first place).
Reply 195
Original post by effofex
I work for a trading firm. Since English is an international language and often a language of business, I find it highly unlikely that there are significant numbers of people migrating to the UK with a severe lack of English - some may not be fully fluent but would obviously have sufficient rudimentary linguistic ability in order to manage. It would not be in the interests of a migrant to the UK to not learn English since it would also severely restrict his/her ability to get well-paid employment (which forms most of the motivation to come to the UK in the first place).

Is Urdu, Hindi or Punjabi an international language ?
Reply 196
This has got to be the first time I have ever agreed with David Cameron.

However, I dont believe immigration is a bad thing in moderation. (Un)Fortunately we are part of the EU, personally I think this is a good thing, some may disagree but I like the fact that I can live and work anywhere in europe.

What needs to be considered is that with unemployment so high how can we allow immigration to continue. Keep in mind that this year the unemployment rate is just under 8% of the economically active population. Do we kick out all unemployed immigrants who have been here for over 6 months? Do we lock the gates? Do we do nothing and throw the blame at labour?

Also anyone who says that the unemployed refuse to work is simply wrong. Maybe a small percentage refuse to out of sheer laziness, a lot however are disabled and cant work, others cant get work. The problem is there are no jobs. This weekend I went for a group interview thing at a local mcdonalds, there were 10+ people all trying to get 1 job, apparently over 400 people applyed. For 1 job. I live in a big city. There are 30+ mcdonalds within a couple of miles if not more.

Politcians need to ditch the blame game. This isnt something that is going to get fixed over night. What needs to happen in my opinion is this. We need industry. We need industries that create jobs. We need these industries to be profitable. In theory, a state run, profitable industry that creates thousands of jobs will first of all work towards minimizing the deficit and second of all reduce unemployment. 2 of the countries biggest problems at the moment.

Then once we start manufacturing something as opposed to being 100% consumers maybe we will have so many jobs immigrants will be welcomed by all to work in the thousands of mininum wage positions. Economically we could be the next China. Manufacturing > Consumerism.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by sandraleicester
Well im from leicester and at the moment we are on the verge of being in the minority, it is 50-50 at the moment. but think we are going to be the first city. but you know what there is no problem here, everyone here speaks english and if they cant them im sure they will learn after being here! fair enough if there is no housing or room in the country he should lower the numbers. But he is not being fair when he says that its ruining communities, im working class btw! making issues like this, causes trouble, he should shut his big fat mouth. We get on fine!

do you go out with muslims at the weekend, clubbing, holidays etc?
Reply 198
Original post by Milk <3
do you go out with muslims at the weekend, clubbing, holidays etc?

I don't know any Muslims who go clubbing :confused: And holiday to mecca does'nt sound so appealing to me ?
Attitudes towards immigration aren't that healthy in my opinion. Immigration may have damaged communities, but it's not necessarily the 'immigrants' fault.

I've always been pro multiculturalism, and I always will be. It just needs to be handled better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending