The Student Room Group

There is no excuse to be unemployed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I got made redundant last week. I've applied for eight jobs since. It's completely my fault that I'm unemployed, huh? Idiot.
Reply 101
Original post by George Agdgdgwngo
The OP is a moron but I believe there is a problem in this country with people thinking some jobs are somehow 'beneath' them. If you are unemployed, you have the same status as any other unemployed person. It's amazing how people feel they have the right to turn their noses up at jobs just because they went to uni.

Fair enough there are less jobs than there used to be, but I experience the problem I've mentioned above day in-day out, even by some of my mates! I currently work part-time in a ****ty factory while at uni, if I can't get a job in my field for whatever reason (I'm not good enough x less jobs available x not enough experience) then I'll need to work as many hours possible in said ****ty factory until I can get something more appropriate.

There's also the problem of [predominantly] 'working' class (and thats in inverted commas as it's dubious as to whether they can even be described as that) complaining about "foreigners coming over here taking our jobs". Yes you clown, they came over here 10 years ago to do the job even you thought was beneath you with all of those GCSEs, A-levels and degrees you have

EDIT: I'm from a working class background and consider myself working class.

Did you quit your job at the Bank of Uganda, then?
Original post by Jimbo1234
No, what I mean is in a geographical sense.
Draw a line above London. Above the line there are no jobs, below it there are jobs.

I disagree. I live well above London and there seem to be jobs here.
Original post by Muffinz
Did you quit your job at the Bank of Uganda, then?
Yeah, RBS headhunted me as a consultant as soon as the Govt. took over the majority shareholding :h: the factory is just part-time.

BTW, just read you were made redundant. I'm not having a go at the unemployed like the OP, I hope I made that clear. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 104
Original post by George Agdgdgwngo
Yeah, RBS headhunted me as a consultant as soon as the Govt. took over the majority shareholding :h: the factory is just part-time.

BTW, just read you were made redundant. I'm not having a go at the unemployed like the OP, I hope I made that clear. :smile:

I know, thats fine. :h:
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=12

There were 482,000 vacancies in the three months to March 2011, up 16,000 on the year.

The total number of unemployed people fell by 17,000 over the quarter to reach 2.48 million.

No hablo inglés, Senor!
Original post by Smack
I disagree. I live well above London and there seem to be jobs here.

What type of jobs? Ones requiring years of experience or jobs that want someone with about half a brain?
What type of jobs? Ones requiring years of experience or jobs that want someone with about half a brain?

Jobs for graduates with engineering, geoscience and business/finance degrees. Plenty of jobs for people with years of experience in the above disciplines. Seems to be some jobs going around for the chavs, too, although arts/humanities graduates are probably ****ed unless they want to move down south.
Original post by Smack
Jobs for graduates with engineering, geoscience and business/finance degrees. Plenty of jobs for people with years of experience in the above disciplines. Seems to be some jobs going around for the chavs, too, although arts/humanities graduates are probably ****ed unless they want to move down south.

So 80% of students are ****ed then? :rolleyes:
Well the OP has a point about some people that blame foreigners for not having a jobs are actually just lazy *****. Because lets face a lot of these people have been saying this well before the recession.

But then again there does seem to be a massive shortage of jobs at the moment!
Original post by Planar
How come no one seems to realise that if no one will you a job you can simply give yourself one? Start a business if there are no jobs. And at any rate, for the young and able-bodied, there's the army.

Start a business during a time when the banks are refusing to lend and join the Army as they plan to lose around 14,000 personnel by redundancies and slowing down recruitment?
Nice plans.
Reply 111
Original post by marshymarsh
Start a business during a time when the banks are refusing to lend and join the Army as they plan to lose around 14,000 personnel by redundancies and slowing down recruitment?
Nice plans.

Why do you have to borrow from banks to start a business? Why do you have to borrow money from anywhere? Couldn't you clear drains or something? And the army is still recruiting.
Original post by Lassilsa
On the news there was a man saying, 'the foreigners work for peanuts'. But they can only for minimum wage ffs, which the last time I checked was hardly peanuts.

These British people need a good kick up the backside to get a job.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=12
482,000 job vacancies, 2.5 million unemployed.

The maths doesn't quite work out now does it?
Well it's a good thing that I'm not looking for an excuse for being unemployed....

It's not looking that great for many of them. It's been a long time but hopefully the message will start sinking in that the subject you study matters and being a numerate graduate is a massive advantage.
Original post by Lassilsa
On the news there was a man saying, 'the foreigners work for peanuts'. But they can only for minimum wage ffs, which the last time I checked was hardly peanuts.

These British people need a good kick up the backside to get a job.

Then how come i've applied for every single job going in my hometown over the past 3 weeks and have heard nothing back?

Obviously you've never lived in the real world little girl.
OP = Idiot.
500k vacancies
2.5 million unemployed.
So OP, how do the remaining 2 million get jobs?
Reply 117
Capitalism does somewhat necessitate unemployment, so there is not so much an excuse as an absolutely obvious reason why people are unemployed.
Reply 118
Anyone who says this is out of touch.

I'm not sure where you get 80% from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending