The Student Room Group

Failing one module - fail whole year?

Hey there, this thread is quite old now, if you have a question that you think :tsr: can help you with , you can start a thread by clicking here. :smile:

So, there is one module out of six i am doing bad on. The rest i am getting all 60-90% marks for all the work, with exams coming up. And i do think, infact i know (from tutors comments) that i would have got higher if my group members work standard was the same as mine, as there is too much flippin group work ¬_¬

Anyway, so this one module, the 'personal studies' module. All about CV, applying for placements, learning how to effectively present to large audiences and write perfect reports etc etc. So .. in a sense.. nothing to do with my degree, dunno if that matters.

It may sound bad, i missed two pieces of work and got like 15% on one group presentation. :cool: . Well my part got 70%, one of the girls failed, got 0 because she couldnt even speak and ran out the room and the other wasnt much better so our overall mark was dreadful.. god knows why it's fair i get such terrible marks but anyway...

If i fail one module, is that a definite failing of the year? or has anyone had experience of being able to do an essay you missed, being able to talk to someone to discuss it or anything like that? especially given as it is such as.. 'unrelated' module.
(edited 3 years ago)
Which year is it?
On my course you can pass the year and progress into the next year if you fail 2 or less modules, and just retake them.
This is only first year though
Reply 2
Original post by Pink_Chocolate xx
Which year is it?
On my course you can pass the year and progress into the next year if you fail 2 or less modules, and just retake them.
This is only first year though

First year =]
At home right now, left my 'student handbook' at university, so i will check there. Even though it does not seem as detailed as some people's seem to be.

I am waiting on the results, as i know it will be a close call. But you know, it is worrying, and annoying to think that my average through the rest of the modules is 77% at the moment and i may fail the year due to a quite frankly, stupid module :rolleyes:

Need to get my hands at that handbook..
Ah can you not call up or are they out of office?
I'm sure that it won't mean that you fail the year, and surely you could just retake that one module?
Reply 4
Original post by Pink_Chocolate xx
Ah can you not call up or are they out of office?
I'm sure that it won't mean that you fail the year, and surely you could just retake that one module?

Well i will, if it turns out i have failed the module, just waiting to hear. And hopefully i can, it's just not the same at every university i guess, was just looking for some similar experiences with good endings ha :P
Reply 5
Original post by Tommyjw
So, there is one module out of six i am doing bad on. The rest i am getting all 60-90% marks for all the work, with exams coming up. And i do think, infact i know (from tutors comments) that i would have got higher if my group members work standard was the same as mine, as there is too much flippin group work ¬_¬

Anyway, so this one module, the 'personal studies' module. All about CV, applying for placements, learning how to effectively present to large audiences and write perfect reports etc etc. So .. in a sense.. nothing to do with my degree, dunno if that matters.

It may sound bad, i missed two pieces of work and got like 15% on one group presentation. :cool: . Well my part got 70%, one of the girls failed, got 0 because she couldnt even speak and ran out the room and the other wasnt much better so our overall mark was dreadful.. god knows why it's fair i get such terrible marks but anyway...

If i fail one module, is that a definite failing of the year? or has anyone had experience of being able to do an essay you missed, being able to talk to someone to discuss it or anything like that? especially given as it is such as.. 'unrelated' module.

As a business student, I fail to see why the module is unrelated. Nevertheless, because it is your first year, even if you fail the module it will probably be condoned so long as the overall mark is not too bad (i.e. 30-40). The other option is having to retake assessments in the summer. But given the fact you are doing okay in other units you will have no problem passing the year.

A piece of advice: those sorts of units never go away. Even masters and PhD students have to do the same banal units like you do; it is what helps subsidise the programme in the first place. Accept you have to do them. Hand your work in on time, but do not spend too much time on it, and pick better partners in future or work alone.
a lot of courses i believe you can fail one (maybe two) modules, depending on how many credits they're worth, and still pass the year. particularly if it's first year, as it doesn't usually count towards your final grade. would be best to check with your head of department/school office or something, send an email. you can always talk to the lecturer for that module about the presentation. i know our presentation for a very similar module, we were marked individually and as a group so if one member did badly, it wouldnt affect everybody's mark.
Reply 7
Original post by evantej
As a business student, I fail to see why the module is unrelated. Nevertheless, because it is your first year, even if you fail the module it will probably be condoned so long as the overall mark is not too bad (i.e. 30-40). The other option is having to retake assessments in the summer. But given the fact you are doing okay in other units you will have no problem passing the year.

A piece of advice: those sorts of units never go away. Even masters and PhD students have to do the same banal units like you do; it is what helps subsidise the programme in the first place. Accept you have to do them. Hand your work in on time, but do not spend too much time on it, and pick better partners in future or work alone.

Ok i do realize i worded it wrong. I just mean that it is essentially a module you can put on to most degree's. As it covers a basde range of CV & application help, essay and report writing, presenting, group work etc. I guess i just meant to try portray that i hope that failing this particular module, because of said reasons, wouldn't matter as much as failing one of the .. 'normal' modules such as my elective business law etc if any problems were to arise.

Oh and yes, i have stopped working with those girls, and am now hated for them for refusing to work with them on the last piece of work, but what you gonna do.
There is a thing called 'pass by compensation' which generally means that if you fail a module usually in the 30-39% bracket, they won't do anything and you'll still pass the year. Now your uni might not do that but it's fairly common so there's a good chance they will. There are exceptions- for example really important core modules are often exempt for this. Now generally if you can't pass by compensation you can take repeat exams called supplementals..not sure how that works for subjects that are more essay-based but anyway. Having to repeat the year is unlikely. Especially since you're only in 1st year. Relax and ask your tutor! I'm sure it will be fine.
Reply 9
Hi all , i know i shouldnt post this hear but i am very worried , i go to leeds trinity university im in the first year and i do food *nutrition course . to pass the full year you need to get 120 points . I passed 5 moudles in first semester but i did not pass one. I got 28 points you need 40 to pass, i have spoken to the teacher she says you need 52 marks to pass in semester 2 in exam 30 and in lab report 35 , but it is psiology , and she hardly gives good marks on the assigments we do , so i am very worried i might fail it, so if i did do you think she might let me do the assigments i failed from semester 1, or would i have to resit the exam again if i was to fail.*Or will they let me carry that subject for next year ?

Please suggest anything i can say to her?*

Regards
Hi I also go to trinity and have failed one exam in sports and exercise science and like you worried about not getting in to year two even though I've passed everything else this year so any information would be good
Reply 11
I had a psychotic episode near exams which meant I failed 3 papers out of 5 and so I have to retake the year. What made it worse was that I took a gap year before this year but Ill have to go along with it.
Original post by Hamzi
I had a psychotic episode near exams which meant I failed 3 papers out of 5 and so I have to retake the year. What made it worse was that I took a gap year before this year but Ill have to go along with it.

Should have taken a leave of absence then....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
No point as there is no advantage in that as I would have to do all the papers again and since I attempeted them anyway I only have to to do some of the exams again as I passed the others. Anyway it was temporary problem during the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It means you don't fail a module and get a capped grade you simply retake that module

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I dont think lse has this procedure as they dont have capped grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hamzi
I dont think lse has this procedure as they dont have capped grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well just check as far as I know every uni caps grades for the module when you fail to a pass grade of 40%

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have failed 1 module out of 8 because I did not submit the coursework. do I have to resit that module even though I have passed on to year 2 if so why can someone explain please.
Original post by manny2264
I have failed 1 module out of 8 because I did not submit the coursework. do I have to resit that module even though I have passed on to year 2 if so why can someone explain please.

Your uni's in a much better position to provide the answer than we are. Have you read the regulations regarding progression, or has the uni given you any indication personally?

Latest

Trending

Trending