The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Firm-ers! 2011 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Anyone going for the Engineering with Business Finance course??
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Starting Linguistics! Have transferred from UCL Classics so..not quite a 'new' student, but I kinda am. Re-fresher as it were :wink:
Reply 242
Original post by erasethisworld
Starting Linguistics! Have transferred from UCL Classics so..not quite a 'new' student, but I kinda am. Re-fresher as it were :wink:

why did you transfer from classics? did you not like it?
Reply 243
I just firmed UCL for law! :smile:
Reply 244

Maybe we'll see each other in classes, I am going to take up linguistics module :wink:
Reply 245
Original post by steffanie
I just firmed UCL for law! :smile:

Hope to see you in September. :smile:
Reply 246
Original post by mc13177
Hope to see you in September. :smile:

I remember talking to you when I was stressing about not having heard from them a few months ago :tongue:
It's nice to finally be sorted!
Hey! Russian studies. Sending off accomodation tomorrow, hopefully XD
Original post by Noodlzzz
So what societies are people going to join? :biggrin:

I think I'm going to join quite a few and try 2/3 sessions to see if I like them/or not. I know things are going to clash but I'm interested in:
badminton
Baseball
Amateur Boxing Club
Basketball, women
Cheese grater magazine
CC&A
Dance
entrepreneur
Dodgeball!!!
Francophone
Green economy society
Handball
Italian Japan
Kickboxing
Modo
Korean
Musical Theatre
Photo
Rugby women
Snowspoarts
Volleyball
Volunteering

This is quite a long list but I'll try all of them and see how it goes. It's a great way to meet people and enrich oneself, too!
=]
Original post by Gubey
why did you transfer from classics? did you not like it?

It was more that I really loved linguistics. Took a module in it, fell in love. I was doing Ancient World Studies (so like classics, but beginners language) and it was just too vague a subject. I wanted something more specific. Good lecturers, good classes, just not for me.
Reply 250
Any Zumba clubs at UCL?
It was more that I really loved linguistics. Took a module in it, fell in love. I was doing Ancient World Studies (so like classics, but beginners language) and it was just too vague a subject. I wanted something more specific. Good lecturers, good classes, just not for me.

Hey, so you mean, you transferred from one course at UCL to another, right? Is this hard to do? As I'm not sure but I've firmed Russian but I might want to convert to Russian and French, later on, depending on how I'm going to find Russian. So I want to know if this is doable. I would really appreciate some advice =]
Reply 252

Oh fair enough I was worried for a second as I'm doing Classics next year! and yeah it is vague but I suppose it gets more specific in 2nd and 3rd years? Any reading / work / modules you particularly recommend?
Original post by knit-knots
Hey, so you mean, you transferred from one course at UCL to another, right? Is this hard to do? As I'm not sure but I've firmed Russian but I might want to convert to Russian and French, later on, depending on how I'm going to find Russian. So I want to know if this is doable. I would really appreciate some advice =]

Relatively easy. Took a while! If you're just adding something on it'll be easier for you probably.
Original post by Gubey
Oh fair enough I was worried for a second as I'm doing Classics next year! and yeah it is vague but I suppose it gets more specific in 2nd and 3rd years? Any reading / work / modules you particularly recommend?

Not hugely specific. Eh everyone in the department whines about modules. Basically there just isn't enough choice - you will have to do things you hate, but the department is wonderful, the people are great and it's a very tightknit group. You'll see me in the common room next year since I won't be allowed not to go in :wink: I really suggest spending a LOT of time in there, you will learn so much.

Definitely suggest Greek Myth. It was amazing. And Introduction to the study of Language (that was the ling. module I took, but it counts as part of classics).
#You'll have to do Introduction to Latin Literature and Intro to Greek Literature and a Greek and a Latin, so you won't have a lot of choice in your first year BUT, I know those two modules (myth & intro to lang) are what a lot of classists did and they adored them both. As did i!
Original post by knit-knots
I think I'm going to join quite a few and try 2/3 sessions to see if I like them/or not. I know things are going to clash but I'm interested in:
badminton
Baseball
Amateur Boxing Club
Basketball, women
Cheese grater magazine
CC&A
Dance
entrepreneur
Dodgeball!!!
Francophone
Green economy society
Handball
Italian Japan
Kickboxing
Modo
Korean
Musical Theatre
Photo
Rugby women
Snowspoarts
Volleyball
Volunteering

This is quite a long list but I'll try all of them and see how it goes. It's a great way to meet people and enrich oneself, too!
=]

Snowsports is a must but the other societies aren't really worth it. Besides you won't actually enrol in 90% of them anyway :P
Firmed for geography:smile: worrying bout accommodation now. I wanna be self catered and close by but I really don't wanna be in shared accommodation. Where's everyone else wanna be placed?
Reply 257
Not hugely specific. Eh everyone in the department whines about modules. Basically there just isn't enough choice - you will have to do things you hate, but the department is wonderful, the people are great and it's a very tightknit group. You'll see me in the common room next year since I won't be allowed not to go in :wink: I really suggest spending a LOT of time in there, you will learn so much.

Definitely suggest Greek Myth. It was amazing. And Introduction to the study of Language (that was the ling. module I took, but it counts as part of classics).
#You'll have to do Introduction to Latin Literature and Intro to Greek Literature and a Greek and a Latin, so you won't have a lot of choice in your first year BUT, I know those two modules (myth & intro to lang) are what a lot of classists did and they adored them both. As did i!

Thanks so much! Yeah I saw in the draft for 2011 modules that there did seem to be a lack of bredth in the modules offered, especially in ancient history. I'm not so big on linguistics so I may stay away from that module, I was thinking either to do the Greek Myth and Roman Life and Thought, or to go into the history departement and do the ancient greek history course about Alexander and pre-Hellenistic times, did anyone do that? what did they think of it?
it was more that i really loved linguistics. Took a module in it, fell in love. I was doing ancient world studies (so like classics, but beginners language) and it was just too vague a subject. I wanted something more specific. Good lecturers, good classes, just not for me.

me too! Ucl linguistics '14!! :smile:
I firmed UCL for Speech Sciences (AAA) like last month only just saw this thread :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending