The Student Room Group

Few of questions about life after uni

hey guys the questions are:

How important are A level grades for IT jobs, would ABB-BBC (possible C in maths) be ok?- What jobs couldnt i do with those A levels

How much of a role does uni reputation play, will going to Nottingham uni put me at much more of a disadvantage than UCL/Warwick/Durham/Bath etc... and also aside from Financial sector are there any other sectors in IT picky about unis?

How hard is it for computer sci grads to migrate to the US or Australia because i have a strange fixation about wanting to live over there! (will hope to have done a year in industry)

One of the main jobs i have my eye on is IT contracting- specifically C++ quant developing for the investment banking sector, would a straight CS be aenough or would a need a more quant masters?

I know i asked a lot of questions, so sorry about that :/

But thanks for your help :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by ashton.alfred

How much of a role does uni reputation play, will going to Nottingham uni put me at much more of a disadvantage than UCL/Warwick/Durham/Bath etc... and also aside from Financial sector are there any other sectors in IT picky about unis?

Why ask this when you know the answer?

Nottingham is not great for computer Science, and you have been told this countless times in the forum.

That doesn't mean you won't get job, but you will have lower chances of securing a good job in finances. :s-smilie:

What you have to understand is that computer Science has one of the lowest unemployment rate of any degree course. So yeah university reputation will pay some part of getting job. If your looking for good job in the financial sector with great pay, then i doubt you will get it unless you do master at good university.

PS just cause its in the Russell group doesn't instantly mean all its course are brilliant.

Considering i know people who got all D's in their AS and are predict BBC in their A level and got offer, doesn't really sale Nottingham well does it?
Reply 2
Original post by ITGIRL
Why ask this when you know the answer?

Nottingham is not great for computer Science, and you have been told this countless times in the forum.

That doesn't mean you won't get job, but you will have lower chances of securing a good job in finances. :s-smilie:

What you have to understand is that computer Science has one of the lowest unemployment rate of any degree course. So yeah university reputation will pay some part of getting job. If your looking for good job in the financial sector with great pay, then i doubt you will get it unless you do master at good university.

PS just cause its in the Russell group doesn't instantly mean all its course are brilliant.

Considering i know people who got all D's in their AS and are predict BBC in their A level and got offer, doesn't really sale Nottingham well does it?

ok i see what your saying but i asked specifically about the unis rep outside of the financial sector, i know where it stands in that sector, and actually its as good as it gets outside the target 6.

Any chance you could give answers to any of the other questions i asked? im fairly new to the IT world so forgive my lack of knowledge.

Nottingham said it has a headhunted department in its prospectus, this makes me think even though it has low entry reqs the qualityy of its teaching/ research/ graduates must have something good

(Dont mean to sound arrogant btw) :P
Reply 3
Original post by ashton.alfred
c

A level grades are less important when it comes to IT Jobs, most of the work you will be learn will be on the job type of work. It also depends on what you want to go into. For example if you want to go into software developing then maths or computing would be advantage compared to someone with A level art

When i said their less important i mean on the Job itself, thats not to say the employees will use them as a means of filtering.

When we had career event, one of the students had ask would it matter what grades he got?

He said something on the line, We look for good grades as well as great communication skills, so if you have good grades and do good on the interview then you will get Job. He said that they would only look at students with BBB+.

(All of the above is for apprenticeship i wasn't sure if you were talking about a degree?)

University reputation depends on where you are based. For example if your based in London, employees will be more after UCL graduates than from LSBU.

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport11.pdf

Nottingham is high in terms of major employees but i dont think it reflectors that of Computer Science at Nottingham.

Places like Nottingham, Manchester all have their graduate programs inside the city itself, so instead of asking yourself will i do as well as someone from Warwick, Durham, you should be asking will i do better than you counter parts at Nottingham Trent. If you decide to stay in Nottingham you will be up against them.

Even though Nottingham may have better reputation doesn't mean employees know this.

Just to offer some facts
Nottingham Computer Science has 85% in graduate job or studying
Nottingham Trent Computer Science has 86% in graduate job or studying

Nottingham - Graduate Job 80%
Nottingham - Graduate Job 73%

Now in terms of "high" paying Jobs, Nottingham has 40% in that Category whereas Nottingham Trent has 30%.

So what my point is don't get 2 far ahead of yourself in terms of employment prospects their is other university that offer great graduate options, so reputation does and doesn't have affect it just depends on the job you are applying for.

(uni stats)

IT picky?
Well depends on what you learn on your course really, if you don't match their requirements then your CV is in the bin.

One of the things you should try 2 do with your degree is get experiences if your degree offers industry placement then you should sign up. That will help you a lot in getting job.

I know someone who went to middle uni (in the 50s) and got graduate program at IBM :eek: and i know Microsoft is not picky in the UK when selecting graduates.

Moving
In terms of US, i read articles about two days ago saying that their demand for Computer Science graduates in the US in the next 5 years is going to terrible.
So chances of getting visa will be higher!

I'm not sure about Australia
If you could get your year industry to be aboard industry then this will hugely improve your chances of getting visa over their.

(if anyone wants the articles request it and i will search for it)

Okay next question, you do understand that the main language that Nottingham teach is Java right? And when applying for graduate schemes they will ask what language they taught you! They have to make sure you know what you are doing before they employee you. (Link at bottom provides more information about earning for language)

Investment banking sector, would a straight CS be enough?

Hypothetically yes, their have been students who graduate from LSBU and go into the banking sector, so yes CS would be enough. (that is going under the understanding you are looking after a job in London).

if you are wondering what qualifications are in demand for IT here is a website

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/

If you look under degree and search the area you would like to live in it gives you average salary of them.

For example for Computer Science degree in London the average salary is £50,000 (Which i find is to high personal)

I don't know if any of that help :/

tl;dr
Sorry
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by FinalMH
A level grades are less important when it comes to IT Jobs, most of the work you will be learn will be on the job type of work. It also depends on what you want to go into. For example if you want to go into software developing then maths or computing would be advantage compared to someone with A level art

When i said their less important i mean on the Job itself, thats not to say the employees will use them as a means of filtering.

When we had career event, one of the students had ask would it matter what grades he got?

He said something on the line, We look for good grades as well as great communication skills, so if you have good grades and do good on the interview then you will get Job. He said that they would only look at students with BBB+.

(All of the above is for apprenticeship i wasn't sure if you were talking about a degree?)

University reputation depends on where you are based. For example if your based in London, employees will be more after UCL graduates than from LSBU.

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport11.pdf

Nottingham is high in terms of major employees but i dont think it reflectors that of Computer Science at Nottingham.

Places like Nottingham, Manchester all have their graduate programs inside the city itself, so instead of asking yourself will i do as well as someone from Warwick, Durham, you should be asking will i do better than you counter parts at Nottingham Trent. If you decide to stay in Nottingham you will be up against them.

Even though Nottingham may have better reputation doesn't mean employees know this.

Just to offer some facts
Nottingham Computer Science has 85% in graduate job or studying
Nottingham Trent Computer Science has 86% in graduate job or studying

Nottingham - Graduate Job 80%
Nottingham - Graduate Job 73%

Now in terms of "high" paying Jobs, Nottingham has 40% in that Category whereas Nottingham Trent has 30%.

So what my point is don't get 2 far ahead of yourself in terms of employment prospects their is other university that offer great graduate options, so reputation does and doesn't have affect it just depends on the job you are applying for.

(uni stats)

IT picky?
Well depends on what you learn on your course really, if you don't match their requirements then your CV is in the bin.

One of the things you should try 2 do with your degree is get experiences if your degree offers industry placement then you should sign up. That will help you a lot in getting job.

I know someone who went to middle uni (in the 50s) and got graduate program at IBM :eek: and i know Microsoft is not picky in the UK when selecting graduates.

Moving
In terms of US, i read articles about two days ago saying that their demand for Computer Science graduates in the US in the next 5 years is going to terrible.
So chances of getting visa will be higher!

I'm not sure about Australia
If you could get your year industry to be aboard industry then this will hugely improve your chances of getting visa over their.

(if anyone wants the articles request it and i will search for it)

Okay next question, you do understand that the main language that Nottingham teach is Java right? And when applying for graduate schemes they will ask what language they taught you! They have to make sure you know what you are doing before they employee you. (Link at bottom provides more information about earning for language)

Investment banking sector, would a straight CS be enough?

Hypothetically yes, their have been students who graduate from LSBU and go into the banking sector, so yes CS would be enough. (that is going under the understanding you are looking after a job in London).

if you are wondering what qualifications are in demand for IT here is a website

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/

If you look under degree and search the area you would like to live in it gives you average salary of them.

For example for Computer Science degree in London the average salary is £50,000 (Which i find is to high personal)

I don't know if any of that help :/

tl;dr
Sorry

thanks alot, thats really cleared some things up, out of curiosity how much do you know about IT contracting?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending