The Student Room Group

Undergraduate Regrets, wish I had done this to avoid this!

Hi seniors,

Your lovely junior or maybe juniors here, Please post here what regrets you had and what you could have avoided to get the best out of uni, it could be anything. From not getting First class to not talking to a professor about this or that.

Looking forward to your replies!
Original post by Zephyr0221
Hi seniors,

Your lovely junior or maybe juniors here, Please post here what regrets you had and what you could have avoided to get the best out of uni, it could be anything. From not getting First class to not talking to a professor about this or that.

Hey @Zephyr0221 :smile:
My one regret is that I wish I'd saved a bit more cash prior to starting study and while I was studying too. I worked a part time job and did a few summer jobs and not really sure what I ended up doing with all that money!! If I could go back in time and tell myself to budget a bit better and factor in small pots of savings I think that would've stopped me from overspending and wasting :erm:
I think I also would've engaged with the Careers Service a bit more - I didn't really use them until my final years when I started to panic about life post uni but really I could have gotten lots more from them if I'd looked in to it sooner :smartass:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @Zephyr0221 :smile:
My one regret is that I wish I'd saved a bit more cash prior to starting study and while I was studying too. I worked a part time job and did a few summer jobs and not really sure what I ended up doing with all that money!! If I could go back in time and tell myself to budget a bit better and factor in small pots of savings I think that would've stopped me from overspending and wasting :erm:
I think I also would've engaged with the Careers Service a bit more - I didn't really use them until my final years when I started to panic about life post uni but really I could have gotten lots more from them if I'd looked in to it sooner :smartass:

Do you have regrets or anything you'd change?

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Wow!

Thanks for that, yea budgeting is very important 100%. Appreciate your comment
Hi seniors,

Hey @Zephyr0221,

Everyones uni experience is different but here are some things I wish I did in my first year (I am now a final year student studying Psychology):

- I wish I had more of a balance with social life and uni work (I started my first year in lockdown so this was a bit tricky but I wish I took more and longer breaks between studying)
- I wish I joined more societies (not just academic but tried out new ones too, even if my friends aren't going to be in them)
- I wish I made use of lecturers office hours and asked questions after the lecture (even if I think they are silly questions)

Happy to give more advice and tips I wish I knew earlier!

Have you just started university or do you plan to start university?

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
No regrets.
Reply 5
Original post by University of Kent
Hey @Zephyr0221,

Everyones uni experience is different but here are some things I wish I did in my first year (I am now a final year student studying Psychology):

- I wish I had more of a balance with social life and uni work (I started my first year in lockdown so this was a bit tricky but I wish I took more and longer breaks between studying)
- I wish I joined more societies (not just academic but tried out new ones too, even if my friends aren't going to be in them)
- I wish I made use of lecturers office hours and asked questions after the lecture (even if I think they are silly questions)

Happy to give more advice and tips I wish I knew earlier!

Have you just started university or do you plan to start university?

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Thank you very much for your reply!

As for your question, I have started my Uni and currently studying Comp Sci in University of Leicester.

Thanks, will ask lecturers! And will let you know if I have further questions.
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
No regrets.

Wow… Good for you! Do give me tips for how you managed your study and exams etc.
Reply 7
Wow… Good for you! Do give me tips for how you managed your study and exams etc.

I just read a lot. I didn't really do any focused revision etc, I just read loads throughout the term.

This won't work for lots of people, but I was reading for a degree in philosophy and regurgitating a lot of content is not the way to do well in that discipline. I found d exams straightforward because I'd read so much I was familiar with arguments and had already thought about my own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending