The Student Room Group

Intensive A level problem

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DeanFoley
Exactly, Maths isn't essential, I knew it and every other student knows it. But that's the silly advice we're somethimes given!

If you feel confident enough in those subjects, then yes, they are a very good combination for any prospective Law student.

I can't give you much advice on your other questions, though I would like to stick up for the notion of self-study. I rely on it quite heavily. I believe people underestimate how far books and a specification can take you.

Good luck.

Well I am not really confident with history it's not I am not good at it is the way the exams are that makes it tough... but if its what they want I guess ill have to manage and take it. English Lit is okay, it is a boring subject, but benefits you in your writing skills and if it's also the key to it ill have to take it, those subjects aren't considered soft are they?

You mean self study is what I should do? this is a tough thing especially if you are aiming A's ... people sure tell me that A level is a very big step to O levels and that you should not take it lightly.
Reply 21
Original post by BlueJoker
So change college? You don't have to go private if you can't afford it. :confused:

What you mean change college? I know that I can barely afford it but if I want to attain A's it what I need to do, and for private studying in switzerland is way more expensive if you calculate more then 3 hours per week ... So I am in a situation where I have no choice.

Original post by SmallTownGirl
O Levels don't exist anymore. Are you talking about GCSEs or will you be a mature student (not sure what the term is for people doing A Levels)?

Foreign language A Levels are not intended for students who speak that language as their native language. They are supposed to represent a certain amount of learning and skill which you would not have gained if you were fluent already. This is the reason why foreign language A Levels are at a completely different level of knowledge as English literature and language A Levels.

I know that O levels doesn't exist, let's refer it to GCSES then thats where I received a C in english.

And now I am planning to do A level intensive beginning in september.

So you mean that taking English Lit is what I should take instead right?
Original post by d.luffy
I know that O levels doesn't exist, let's refer it to GCSES then thats where I received a C in english.

And now I am planning to do A level intensive beginning in september.

So you mean that taking English Lit is what I should take instead right?

Don't take French if it's your native language. Don't take both English lit and lang. I think lit is generally considered 'better'.
Reply 23
OP, you could do English Lit & Lang combined if you wanted to, Oxbridge accept it as an A Level. I know of people who got into top universities with Sociology and English Language so I wouldn't worry too much (although you'd probably be at a disadvantage if you wanted to apply to Oxbridge and say there were candidates with A Levels in the sciences/Maths/History).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by tarazzle
OP, you could do English Lit & Lang combined if you wanted to, Oxbridge accept it as an A Level. I know of people who got into top universities with Sociology and English Language so I wouldn't worry too much (although you'd probably be at a disadvantage if you wanted to apply to Oxbridge and say there were candidates with A Levels in the sciences/Maths/History).

My plan is to enter Oxford university or one of the top 10 thats all.

but if English language is considered soft or whatsoever I can switch it to Lit.

Towngirl is really confusing me ... don't take french or english ??? what the hell...
Reply 25
Original post by d.luffy
Well I am not really confident with history it's not I am not good at it is the way the exams are that makes it tough... but if its what they want I guess ill have to manage and take it. English Lit is okay, it is a boring subject, but benefits you in your writing skills and if it's also the key to it ill have to take it, those subjects aren't considered soft are they?

You mean self study is what I should do? this is a tough thing especially if you are aiming A's ... people sure tell me that A level is a very big step to O levels and that you should not take it lightly.

If you don't think you can handle A level History then you will not be able to handle Undergraduate Law at a top university.
Reply 26
Original post by d.luffy

but if English language is considered soft or whatsoever I can switch it to Lit.

Towngirl is really confusing me ... don't take french or english ??? what the hell...

Your grammar is horrible and you will not pass any English subjects.
Reply 27
Original post by Jacktri
If you don't think you can handle A level History then you will not be able to handle Undergraduate Law at a top university.

You got a point there but I didn't say i can't handle it ...

lol ... if i can't pass any eng exam whats the point in studying?
Reply 28
Original post by d.luffy

If you take pure English Language then yes, it might be seen as 'soft' compared to if you did pure English Lit or English Language and Literature combined. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with doing both English Lit and Lang because the top universities accept it.

She has a point with the French though - if you can speak fluent French already there is no point in taking the A Level. Take a foreign language that you are new to if you want to do a language, it shows more 'intelligence' (you've learnt it from scratch). If you're of French origin then universities will know you can speak perfect French - you don't need an A Level to prove it. :smile:
OP, you seem to be getting a tad confused in the mix of conflicting information, so I'll try and tidy it up for you:

1) IF, and only IF, your first language is French, should you not study French to A-Level(though another foreign language would be good). If French is NOT your first language, disregard this and carry on.

2) English Literature is respected more by top universities than English Language. There is an A-level in combined English Literature and Language, which is acceptable as well, however, it isn't a good idea to do just English Language.

3) Self-study is only an option. I personally think the conventional ideas such as teaching are overrated; I get high A grades studying by myself, but I do Sciences, not Arts/Humanities. Private tuition is overrated as well. The grades are inflated by the wealthy, educated backgrounds the pupils come from.

Also, please, please examine whether your aspirations match your realistic prospects. Law schools are competitive, especially one's such as Oxford. Are you truly confident in your ability to study Law?

I'm always apprehensive of saying things like this. It sounds like I'm trying to dump on people's dreams, but on the other hand, I've seen and am currently seeing people waste years of their life chasing something which so obviously isn't going to happen. Someone in my Chemistry & Physics classes was a C grade at best in GCSE's, is E grade at best in A-levels, yet wants to go on to study engineering. His prospects are bleak, and it's sad to see him wasting so much of his time and energy without a single teacher telling him the truth.
Reply 30
If you take pure English Language then yes, it might be seen as 'soft' compared to if you did pure English Lit or English Language and Literature combined. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with doing both English Lit and Lang because the top universities accept it.

She has a point with the French though - if you can speak fluent French already there is no point in taking the A Level. Take a foreign language that you are new to if you want to do a language, it shows more 'intelligence' (you've learnt it from scratch). If you're of French origin then universities will know you can speak perfect French - you don't need an A Level to prove it. :smile:

No I am not from a french Origin lol ... I am from switzerland and there is 4 languages that can be spoken in that country so french in it doesn't show how intelligent you are since speaking and writing in french is 2 different things.

There is english language + lit combined subject? if there is I might do that... And I am going to take History for sure including french.

Though my question wasn't really answered, does studying in that college I stated gives me more advantage to get A's or no? or self study is better with the tutors.
Reply 31
OP, you seem to be getting a tad confused in the mix of conflicting information, so I'll try and tidy it up for you:

1) IF, and only IF, your first language is French, should you not study French to A-Level(though another foreign language would be good). If French is NOT your first language, disregard this and carry on.

2) English Literature is respected more by top universities than English Language. There is an A-level in combined English Literature and Language, which is acceptable as well, however, it isn't a good idea to do just English Language.

3) Self-study is only an option. I personally think the conventional ideas such as teaching are overrated; I get high A grades studying by myself, but I do Sciences, not Arts/Humanities. Private tuition is overrated as well. The grades are inflated by the wealthy, educated backgrounds the pupils come from.

Also, please, please examine whether your aspirations match your realistic prospects. Law schools are competitive, especially one's such as Oxford. Are you truly confident in your ability to study Law?

I'm always apprehensive of saying things like this. It sounds like I'm trying to dump on people's dreams, but on the other hand, I've seen and am currently seeing people waste years of their life chasing something which so obviously isn't going to happen. Someone in my Chemistry & Physics classes was a C grade at best in GCSE's, is E grade at best in A-levels, yet wants to go on to study engineering. His prospects are bleak, and it's sad to see him wasting so much of his time and energy without a single teacher telling him the truth.

Awesome thanks about that, I really did get confused !!

no French is not my first language.

English lang + lit does it make any easier for you to go to a top university? since I am going to take history + french.

I am not wealthy, but each one of us has a skill in what he can accomplish, I cannot study by myself I have already tried that and it just failed me.

I am really confident in doing Law, thats why I want to achieve A's since the top uni's won't accept less then that, if I have a proper start with my studies I am sure I can do it.

the only thing is that I am looking for a solution to either study with tutors or in a college to achieve what I want to, especially as a one year intensive.
Original post by d.luffy
Awesome thanks about that, I really did get confused !!

no French is not my first language.

English lang + lit does it make any easier for you to go to a top university? since I am going to take history + french.

I am not wealthy, but each one of us has a skill in what he can accomplish, I cannot study by myself I have already tried that and it just failed me.

I am really confident in doing Law, thats why I want to achieve A's since the top uni's won't accept less then that, if I have a proper start with my studies I am sure I can do it.

the only thing is that I am looking for a solution to either study with tutors or in a college to achieve what I want to, especially as a one year intensive.

Combined English Language and Literature is no more respected than English Literature on its own. Some schools don't offer English Literature alone, but offer combined English. The universities accept this to give these pupils a chance. If you can study English Literature alone, that would be ideal.

The point I was trying to make about expensive private tuition is that because students who are taught by them or go to private schools tend to be wealthy, and their families educated, the grades appear higher from these institutions. This doesn't necessarily mean that private teaching is better; they just get the best pupils! It's called "correlation, not causatation".

Whether you should pick tutors or college depends entirely on how much support you can get from each, provided you can meet the fees without starving yourself! How many hours tuition would those tutors give you compared to college, and do you believe it enough?

If you believe a certain place offers more support, don't be held back by fees, because that could make the difference between an A and a B. And if you get those A's, you get a return on your investment!
Reply 33
Combined English Language and Literature is no more respected than English Literature on its own. Some schools don't offer English Literature alone, but offer combined English. The universities accept this to give these pupils a chance. If you can study English Literature alone, that would be ideal.

The point I was trying to make about expensive private tuition is that because students who are taught by them or go to private schools tend to be wealthy, and their families educated, the grades appear higher from these institutions. This doesn't necessarily mean that private teaching is better; they just get the best pupils! It's called "correlation, not causatation".

Whether you should pick tutors or college depends entirely on how much support you can get from each, provided you can meet the fees without starving yourself! How many hours tuition would those tutors give you compared to college, and do you believe it enough?

If you believe a certain place offers more support, don't be held back by fees, because that could make the difference between an A and a B. And if you get those A's, you get a return on your investment!

Better students definitely results in private schools getting better grades but they must have better teaching otherwise people wouldn't send their children to private schools.
Reply 34

Oh okay so there isn't big difference, then I would go for lit thats for sure.

Private tutors are expensive if I do them in Switzerland, I would get some back up from my parents but at the same time I would work to get a salary which I can try to fund some more hours, 65£ for ONE hour is very expensive honestly, and taking 6 hours per week is cheaper then the oxford college at only 6000$ but this counting only study wise, in UK I would also have to fund my accommodation food...etc while in switzerland accommodation...etc is already payed for since Ill be living with my father, including food. So at the same time I am having an advantage in Switzerland even if it's expensive because ill be driving there...etc if you look it that way.

And private tutoring I will be having tutors very well qualified that is why it is expensive.

I am hesitating much still.

And for the last part you wrote thats very true, if I get the A's, the money wouldn't have gone in vein.
Original post by d.luffy

If you only obtained a C at GCSE in English then it is not a good idea to take an intensive course in the subject at A-level if you want a good grade. You obviously need more time to develop your understanding of the subject.
Reply 36
Original post by d.luffy
No I am not from a french Origin lol ... I am from switzerland and there is 4 languages that can be spoken in that country so french in it doesn't show how intelligent you are since speaking and writing in french is 2 different things.

There is english language + lit combined subject? if there is I might do that... And I am going to take History for sure including french.

Though my question wasn't really answered, does studying in that college I stated gives me more advantage to get A's or no? or self study is better with the tutors.

Oh right, then yes pick French! It's very respected by universities if you take (and do well in it of course) a modern foreign language. Yes there is, I take English Lit and Lang combined. There is a good balance between the Lit and Lang so it would make the Lit part (which you said you find boring) much easier to focus on if you feel yourself getting bored. :smile: If you feel like you will be able to put in a lot of hard work and motivation to get those A's, do self-study. If you need a bit more support in getting used to A Levels and would also like to make new friends, choose college. I've never self-taught before and I really like my college's atmosphere...but it is up to you. :tongue:
Reply 37
Oh right, then yes pick French! It's very respected by universities if you take (and do well in it of course) a modern foreign language. Yes there is, I take English Lit and Lang combined. There is a good balance between the Lit and Lang so it would make the Lit part (which you said you find boring) much easier to focus on if you feel yourself getting bored. :smile: If you feel like you will be able to put in a lot of hard work and motivation to get those A's, do self-study. If you need a bit more support in getting used to A Levels and would also like to make new friends, choose college. I've never self-taught before and I really like my college's atmosphere...but it is up to you. :tongue:

Thanks for the advice.
It will be my first time taking A levels so I am still deciding, but for the subjects I finally decided what I should take since getting into top universities isn't easy and with those subjects are okay to give me a push.

but I will try and see what is going to happen when I finish my exams by the end of June ill decide.

Thanks all.
Reply 38
Original post by d.luffy
Thanks for the advice.
It will be my first time taking A levels so I am still deciding, but for the subjects I finally decided what I should take since getting into top universities isn't easy and with those subjects are okay to give me a push.

but I will try and see what is going to happen when I finish my exams by the end of June ill decide.

Thanks all.

You're welcome, and yes imo your subject choices sound fine. Hope your exams go well too btw :smile:
Reply 39
If you have C's at GCSE is Oxford really realistic?

Quick Reply

Latest