The Student Room Group

How the British Royal Family earns YOU £2.60 every year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by limetang
We would live in such an unfair system regardless of whether the royal family were here or not. It isn't just the royals who have wealth and power, and it isn't just the royals who will give their own wealth and power to their children (they are just a prime example of it). I mean I hate to break it to you but life is fundamentally unfair and getting rid of the royal family would not change that.

As right as you undeniably are, that isn't really the point. Rather, the problem as we see it is that such a situation has been institutionalised and actually recognised by law, which we find totally unacceptable.
Original post by Cochrane
As right as you undeniably are, that isn't really the point. Rather, the problem as we see it is that such a situation has been institutionalised and actually recognised by law, which we find totally unacceptable.
Don't bother, you just replied to a person who thinks reforming an institution isn't worth it because you can't make everything in life fair. Maybe its true, some of us are equal but others are more equal than others, in terms of IQ of course. :wink:
Reply 202
i could get one solitary beer with that money!!!!

...infact, no, i probably couldnt...
Reply 203
Here is a great commentary on whether the Royal Family is good value for money. Even if you don't subscribe to the view within it, the article is very informative and worth a look.

is the royal family good value for money?
Reply 204
The video response says it all:smile:
Reply 205
Original post by Reformed2010
Don't bother, you just replied to a person who thinks reforming an institution isn't worth it because you can't make everything in life fair. Maybe its true, some of us are equal but others are more equal than others, in terms of IQ of course. :wink:

Anyone who had any sense of intelligence at all would know IQ is not a true basis for comparison and analysis of someone's level of intelligence.
But the government would surely have appropriated the royal lands if we had become a republic, earning exactly the same profit from them thereafter (without having to pay for the civil list), so the argument is utterly null.

Also, tourists would still come to see castles and? palaces whether there's an old bat behind one of the curtains or not.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 207
Original post by Rant
I'd pay more than that to get rid of them. A lot more.

Original post by Zürich
Irrelevant. Having a Royal Family is unfair in the extreme.

Users above have not watched the video... clearly
Original post by kerily
I'd easily forgo £2.60 if it somehow meant Britain would no longer have a royal family.
I'm not trudging through the thread to see if this has already been posted, but the video in the OP has a response that, to be honest, even the most casual viewer should have noticed.

Original post by Tommyjw
Anyone who had any sense of intelligence at all would know IQ is not a true basis for comparison and analysis of someone's level of intelligence.
I use IQ interchangeably with intelligence, naughty of me but I was being lazy. There is however no single agreed best method to measure someones intelligence, but an IQ test is one way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
Have you ever known anything run by our Government to make a profit!?

Certain sectors of British Rail (post sectorisation) were quite successful (e.g, Network SouthEast). Mind you - if something is run by the state, surely profit isn't really important? Profit is the motivation for a private business which in turn is supposed to drive efficiency etc - in a state run enterprise, surely the first goal is to meet the objectives of the government rather than to simply turn a profit for the government?
(edited 12 years ago)
Republicans need to realise that lifes full of hard luck stories.
If this is correct, we should have more Royal family!
Original post by The_Great_One
Republicans need to realise that lifes full of hard luck stories.

So you're saying that the Royal Family is a bad thing but Republicans should just accept it? The Sovereign would not be pleased.
Original post by Fusilero
So you're saying that the Royal Family is a bad thing but Republicans should just accept it? The Sovereign would not be pleased.

Just because you dont agree with it doesnt means its wrong. Why should we get rid of 1000 years of history?
Original post by The_Great_One
Just because you dont agree with it doesnt means its wrong. Why should we get rid of 1000 years of history?

History will always be there, no matter what we do with the present and future. And you missed my point, you pointed out to Republicans that life is full of 'hard luck stories' as a defence of the monarchy. Does that mean the existence of the monarchy, in your perspective, is one of these 'hard luck stories'?
Original post by Fusilero
History will always be there, no matter what we do with the present and future. And you missed my point, you pointed out to Republicans that life is full of 'hard luck stories' as a defence of the monarchy. Does that mean the existence of the monarchy, in your perspective, is one of these 'hard luck stories'?

Pretty much yes like i was born into a family with a big business. I dont brag about it but its just the way life goes. Living history im talking about and making history.
£2.60, like I'm going to even notice that much :lolwut:

Royals need to do alot better than that.
(edited 12 years ago)
i dont care its still unfairrr!!!
Oh not another one...

You will never stop republicans being republicans. Don't bother trying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending