The Student Room Group

Maths HL - Series and Differential Equations

I have barely revised for this paper since I have been concentrating on core, but I'm getting quite worried about it now - anyone else doing it? Anybody else struggling like I am????
Hope everyone's English/Philosophy went well btw!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not entirely sure what you mean?

Series is one of my strongest aspects, and differentiation (if not application) is also very strong.

What can't you do?
Reply 2
Original post by omegah
I have barely revised for this paper since I have been concentrating on core, but I'm getting quite worried about it now - anyone else doing it? Anybody else struggling like I am????
Hope everyone's English/Philosophy went well btw!

Yeah, this option is literally the hardest one. so.. I'm gonna burn through papers from friday onwards.

_Kar.
Reply 3
Not entirely sure what you mean?

Series is one of my strongest aspects, and differentiation (if not application) is also very strong.

What can't you do?

Edit - OH YOU MEAN THE OPTION :K::K:
:withstupid:
Reply 4
Original post by Kareir
Yeah, this option is literally the hardest one. so.. I'm gonna burn through papers from friday onwards.

_Kar.

Basically my plan too! The questions seem quite formulaic though, in that it's usually the same ones turning up time after time. So I guess past papers are the only way...
Reply 5
Options are generally seen as using the same pool of questions (especially as the syllabus changed in 09 [I think]). Literally just going through old papers, finding the most common questions and then just memorising the answers is looking like the best option...
Reply 6
:woo:

^ That is me freaking out.
Reply 7
To be honest, it is fairly easier to cover the material than core in a limited amount of time. We will most likely get 5-6 questions that have been repeatedly asked with variations, and an outlandish one on convergence/divergence or series expansions.

Personally, I am lucky as I have a book from Tsokos (the same who wrote the Physics book) which covers the WHOLE option.

I have one question though: Are slope fields in the syllabus now, or not?
Reply 8
Original post by bluesky42
:woo:

^ That is me freaking out.

I completely agree.
Reply 9
Original post by alexmsf
To be honest, it is fairly easier to cover the material than core in a limited amount of time. We will most likely get 5-6 questions that have been repeatedly asked with variations, and an outlandish one on convergence/divergence or series expansions.

Personally, I am lucky as I have a book from Tsokos (the same who wrote the Physics book) which covers the WHOLE option.

I have one question though: Are slope fields in the syllabus now, or not?

We covered them in class so yeah I guess so!
Reply 10
They are. But they're easy.
Reply 11
Been doing this option as well. How did you guys find P1 and P2? For TZ2, P1 was so freaking hard, I literally had so many blank lines on the paper. Paper 2 was much better but the calculus got me down a bit. Looking forward to P3. Since I scored really highly in portfolio, if I can do well in P3, I could get that 6 I really want. After some revision and some practice papers, it has become much easier. Hope we all do well in P3!:biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Kareir
They are. But they're easy.

I haven't seen any on any papers....and they would seem such a waste of time in the exam!!!

Is it possible to get your GDC to do them?
Reply 13
I haven't seen any on any papers....and they would seem such a waste of time in the exam!!!

Is it possible to get your GDC to do them?

Unfortunately no. Which is weird, as it would be easy to implement such a feature. I'll send Casio a complaint. :angry:

However, you CAN use the calc Recursion for Euler's method to avoid computing each step.
Reply 14
Original post by alexmsf
Unfortunately no. Which is weird, as it would be easy to implement such a feature. I'll send Casio a complaint. :angry:

However, you CAN use the calc Recursion for Euler's method to avoid computing each step.

Ooohhhh....how do i do this on a TI-nspire? I'm useless at using my calculator :frown:

And please do!
Reply 15
Ooohhhh....how do i do this on a TI-nspire? I'm useless at using my calculator :frown:

And please do!

Well, I use a Casio fx-9860GII:

Search for any mode related to "Recursion" and recursive formulas:
I have attached doc with some instructions, that I had done for class.

Apparently, you don't even need to mention tha you used recursion, just create the table needed.

If you have questions, please ask, as if the guide is wrong the fault will be mine.:tongue:
You can test it on a question for which you already know the answer. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by alexmsf
Well, I use a Casio fx-9860GII:

Search for any mode related to "Recursion" and recursive formulas:
I have attached doc with some instructions, that I had done for class.

Apparently, you don't even need to mention tha you used recursion, just create the table needed.

If you have questions, please ask, as if the guide is wrong the fault will be mine.:tongue:
You can test it on a question for which you already know the answer. :smile:

Thanks for attaching it, but didn't really make much sense to me...

I looked up a Ti nspire guide, but seems quite complicated. I'm terrible with technology, so I'll just do it by hand, they probably will only want 2 or 3 steps in an exam.

Thanks for the help though :smile:
Reply 17
This is a really useful link for revision videos btw:

http://patrickjmt.com/
Reply 18
Original post by subbra
Been doing this option as well. How did you guys find P1 and P2? For TZ2, P1 was so freaking hard, I literally had so many blank lines on the paper. Paper 2 was much better but the calculus got me down a bit. Looking forward to P3. Since I scored really highly in portfolio, if I can do well in P3, I could get that 6 I really want. After some revision and some practice papers, it has become much easier. Hope we all do well in P3!:biggrin:

My plan, hopefully! But I'm really struggling with the P3 past papers, the majority of the questions just don't make sense to me at all :/ argh.
Reply 19
Just a hint, for questions asking for radius and interval of convergence, you will need to use the Ratio Test in 99% of times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01LzAU__J-0

This video explains it amazingly well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending