The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work Canada

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
having some majjorrrr issues with my IEC visa form; DESPERATE for advice...

I'm filling out my final visa forms to send off- and getting a bit worried about the timing of them. Sadly, the application process changed this week and the new forms are a lot more complex than the ones i had waiting to go (The police certificate took a lot long than expected). There is a section on the Work Permit form which asks the "details of intended work in Canada". As part of the IEC, the guide has said that when answering certain questions in this section to put "Not Applicable". I have done this for the questions that it directed me to, but under the section entitled "location of intended employment", it doesn't direct me to state "not applicable". I haven't had a response to the emails sent to the Embassy and I have tried calling but they direct me to email.
I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this. I don't want to state "not applicable" and that be wrong. Should I put the address of the people i'm living with for the year down? I haven't declared that i have a job waiting for me in Vancouver but i'm unsure if they want to know that I have a place to stay in Canada, or whether they want a secured job.
I've asked my mum, and house mates and everyone seems pretty clueless about it. The programme doesn't specify that I need a job before leaving, quite the opposite in fact. But the form is a general Work Permit form that i have to now fill out. I have declared on this section that I am part of the IEC, but yeah. I'm basically just trying to get the application sent off asap and don't want to get this wrong, because i'd have to start at the beginning again.

Does anyone have any advice for this?
Reply 281
Got my acceptance yesterday :smile: Sent the forms on 21st March and paid the participation fee on 4th April. So 8 weeks seems to be the thing.

Just FYI.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 282
Original post by kelli :)
having some majjorrrr issues with my IEC visa form; DESPERATE for advice...

I'm filling out my final visa forms to send off- and getting a bit worried about the timing of them. Sadly, the application process changed this week and the new forms are a lot more complex than the ones i had waiting to go (The police certificate took a lot long than expected). There is a section on the Work Permit form which asks the "details of intended work in Canada". As part of the IEC, the guide has said that when answering certain questions in this section to put "Not Applicable". I have done this for the questions that it directed me to, but under the section entitled "location of intended employment", it doesn't direct me to state "not applicable". I haven't had a response to the emails sent to the Embassy and I have tried calling but they direct me to email.
I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this. I don't want to state "not applicable" and that be wrong. Should I put the address of the people i'm living with for the year down? I haven't declared that i have a job waiting for me in Vancouver but i'm unsure if they want to know that I have a place to stay in Canada, or whether they want a secured job.
I've asked my mum, and house mates and everyone seems pretty clueless about it. The programme doesn't specify that I need a job before leaving, quite the opposite in fact. But the form is a general Work Permit form that i have to now fill out. I have declared on this section that I am part of the IEC, but yeah. I'm basically just trying to get the application sent off asap and don't want to get this wrong, because i'd have to start at the beginning again.

Does anyone have any advice for this?

Seems like a weird question....as you said, the whole point of the visa is that so you can work anywhere, doing almost-whatever sort of job. (I said almost as you need a medical for working with kids etc.)

I would put either N/A or the location you will be - Vancouver. Surely that is all they are getting at? I say this without looking at the forms mind you.
Reply 283
2 and a bit more weeks of uni then my degree is finally finished! Then I'm going to book flights, insurance, look for jobs etc. No time to do it yet.

I'm thinking of going at the end of the summer, sort of early September, so that I have time to get everything organised and spend loads of time with my friends and family before I go. Also, maybe I could find a job for a couple of months to save up a bit of money? Might be wishful thinking.
It doesn't help that I keep browsing the internet and finding things that would be "so useful" for when I go to Canada. Currently lusting after an ipod big enough for everything (only have a 16GB ipod at the moment) and a netbook. Do you think having a tiny, light netbook instead of a big, heavy, shoulder-hurting laptop would be useful? Cos I'm very tempted.
Original post by lazyswot
2 and a bit more weeks of uni then my degree is finally finished! Then I'm going to book flights, insurance, look for jobs etc. No time to do it yet.

I'm thinking of going at the end of the summer, sort of early September, so that I have time to get everything organised and spend loads of time with my friends and family before I go. Also, maybe I could find a job for a couple of months to save up a bit of money? Might be wishful thinking.
It doesn't help that I keep browsing the internet and finding things that would be "so useful" for when I go to Canada. Currently lusting after an ipod big enough for everything (only have a 16GB ipod at the moment) and a netbook. Do you think having a tiny, light netbook instead of a big, heavy, shoulder-hurting laptop would be useful? Cos I'm very tempted.

I think it would be useful but annoying at the same time, especially if you're used to a full size laptop. I was going to pick up a standard size laptop because aside from the initial house hunting/job hunting in the first couple of weeks, I'd find it annoying to be sitting there on a small form laptop. So I'm going for a good in between, something just a bit smaller than a macbook pro, but not as small as the most common netbooks. It's as powerful as a standard size laptop but half the weight. 15.6" inch screen is far too big, I'd say in the range between 12.5-14.0 inch screen will be best, provided you can get a good spec and weight
Reply 285
Original post by ChrisBan
I think it would be useful but annoying at the same time, especially if you're used to a full size laptop. I was going to pick up a standard size laptop because aside from the initial house hunting/job hunting in the first couple of weeks, I'd find it annoying to be sitting there on a small form laptop. So I'm going for a good in between, something just a bit smaller than a macbook pro, but not as small as the most common netbooks. It's as powerful as a standard size laptop but half the weight. 15.6" inch screen is far too big, I'd say in the range between 12.5-14.0 inch screen will be best, provided you can get a good spec and weight

Hmmm, the problem with that is I can't afford another laptop, and I certainly can't justify buying one :frown: If I can't find a netbook/laptop that's significantly smaller, lighter and cheaper than a normal laptop then I might as well just take the heavy one I've got now and just use it in my room, not take it around with me and write in cafes, etc.
Maybe I'll go to a shop and test some netbooks to see if they annoy me. I only type with 2 fingers anyway so maybe it won't make a difference :biggrin:

Oh, btw, I saw your Tumblr "Banham v Canada"! But cos it's tumblr I couldn't comment :smile:
Reply 286

Well, I love my 'tiny' laptop. It's a 10' Acer one. I don't really have any need to do any work on it but it's great for using the internet on and really light to carry. I've travelled a few times and never taken a laptop but think this will go with me. Taking my old 'big' laptop on the train used to kill my back so I have no idea how people cope with them abroad. Though several of my friends have gone abroad with them with no problem.
Reply 287
Hmmm, the problem with that is I can't afford another laptop, and I certainly can't justify buying one :frown: If I can't find a netbook/laptop that's significantly smaller, lighter and cheaper than a normal laptop then I might as well just take the heavy one I've got now and just use it in my room, not take it around with me and write in cafes, etc.
Maybe I'll go to a shop and test some netbooks to see if they annoy me. I only type with 2 fingers anyway so maybe it won't make a difference :biggrin:

Oh, btw, I saw your Tumblr "Banham v Canada"! But cos it's tumblr I couldn't comment :smile:

You get used to little netbooks quickly - I absolutely love mine, and it feels normal to me now. Having said that, if you already have a decent enough laptop then it might not be worth getting one if you're not going to be carrying it around everyday.

Are people buying stuff here or waiting to get (cheaper?) stuff in Canada?
Reply 288
Original post by fiona344
You get used to little netbooks quickly - I absolutely love mine, and it feels normal to me now. Having said that, if you already have a decent enough laptop then it might not be worth getting one if you're not going to be carrying it around everyday.

Are people buying stuff here or waiting to get (cheaper?) stuff in Canada?

My laptop's particularly heavy and bulky though, cos I wasn't going for portability when I bought it, I was going for a huge hard drive and memory, a big widescreen for watching DVDs etc. So when I do carry it it REALLY weighs me down, and kills my shoulder :s-smilie: And it's hard enough packing light for a year as it is! lol. If I don't bring DVDs, which I don't think I will cos it's loads of extra space and weight and they are worth a lot, then all I'll need a computer for is internet browsing, skype, email, downloading the pictures from my camera and writing blog posts and stuff. So nothing heavyweight. And I love the thought of just being able to pop a little netbook in my bag and carry it around for when I come across a cafe with wifi or something :smile:

I think electronics are cheaper in Canada, although I'm not sure. I'm buying stuff here (like cosmetics and stuff) only if I really care about the brand, and might not be able to find it in Canada. I'm trying to travel light but I'm really bad at it! lol
I won't buy proper winter clothes til I'm in Canada, cos I suppose the country to buy the best winter clothes is the country with the coldest winter! And it's hard to imagine just how cold it will be.
My laptop's particularly heavy and bulky though, cos I wasn't going for portability when I bought it, I was going for a huge hard drive and memory, a big widescreen for watching DVDs etc. So when I do carry it it REALLY weighs me down, and kills my shoulder :s-smilie: And it's hard enough packing light for a year as it is! lol. If I don't bring DVDs, which I don't think I will cos it's loads of extra space and weight and they are worth a lot, then all I'll need a computer for is internet browsing, skype, email, downloading the pictures from my camera and writing blog posts and stuff. So nothing heavyweight. And I love the thought of just being able to pop a little netbook in my bag and carry it around for when I come across a cafe with wifi or something :smile:

I think electronics are cheaper in Canada, although I'm not sure. I'm buying stuff here (like cosmetics and stuff) only if I really care about the brand, and might not be able to find it in Canada. I'm trying to travel light but I'm really bad at it! lol
I won't buy proper winter clothes til I'm in Canada, cos I suppose the country to buy the best winter clothes is the country with the coldest winter! And it's hard to imagine just how cold it will be.

plus it saves you from filling valuable suitcase space!
Reply 290

Exactly! As it is I'm thinking of getting some of those vacuum bag things. Although since I won't have a hoover in Canada, once I've unpacked my clothes I'm screwed! :biggrin:

And it's MUCH cheaper when you buy it during the sales. I bought my jacket for $89. Normal price was $199. And my ski pants for $39.
Reply 292
Hey everyone! Who's set off, etc? I'm planning to go about mid-September now, still trying to find a job here for the meantime. It's not going well lol.

One of my internet friends went to Toronto with Work Canada about a month ago, and she's going to have to come home already in about 2 weeks. She says her great grandfather is ill, the hostels in Toronto are booked up for the festival season so she only has 5 days left of a booked room, she still hasn't got a job that pays enough to fund her living in a hostel, and she's going to go home and maybe come to Canada again, but as a holiday so it's less stressful.

This is actually really worrying me. She was originally planning not only to stick out the whole year in Canada, but to move there permanently! She was so determined to make it all work. How did it go wrong and put her off altogether in such a short time??

Encourage me here, people! There are people who have stayed for the whole year, right? There are people who have found jobs that pay well enough to live on? There are people who haven't given up in a few weeks or months, right? Right?? :s :s
Reply 293
I know how you feel, I was hoping to go out as soon as my exams were finished, with a job lined up through contacts I have here...still waiting to here back on that which is super frustrating, and I'm losing hope with every day that goes by. Got myself a ticket to see Blink 182 in Toronto in August so thats a deadline for myself to definitely go over by.

Really scared of having to job hunt myself, don't think it'll be easy but I think (hope) that perseverance will pay off and something will turn up after not too long.

One of my friends graduated last year and has been out in Vancouver for almost a year now, so people do manage! She struggled to get a job at first, but did find something and is loving the experience.

A guy I met when I was doing work America 3 years ago went to Toronto straight after and didn't have any problems either, so I hope I'm just over worrying about the whole thing.

I'm trying not to have too many expectations about the job side, really just go over to enjoy the experience, discover Canada and just take it as it comes.
Reply 294

This is actually really worrying me. She was originally planning not only to stick out the whole year in Canada, but to move there permanently! She was so determined to make it all work. How did it go wrong and put her off altogether in such a short time??

Encourage me here, people! There are people who have stayed for the whole year, right? There are people who have found jobs that pay well enough to live on? There are people who haven't given up in a few weeks or months, right? Right?? :s :s

It's certainly not impossible, though I think you will find it more difficult in a city than a touristy area if you see what I mean? My friend moved to Vancouver last November and she didn't find a job until January so I would save as much money as you can to tide you over. She is completely on her feet now and loving it so don't lose heart!

I had my job before I came here (am at Lake Louise in Banff National Park) but it is easy enough to find a job in a 'ski town' if you're not completely set on living in the city. Certainly you're going at a pretty much ideal time to find a winter season job, I imagine they will probably have job fairs in Toronto. Something to think about anyway.

I love my netbook by the way, it is so portable and convenient, don't miss my big laptop at all. I'd recommend an external hard drive though if you like downloading movies.
Original post by Crystal89
It's certainly not impossible, though I think you will find it more difficult in a city than a touristy area if you see what I mean? My friend moved to Vancouver last November and she didn't find a job until January so I would save as much money as you can to tide you over. She is completely on her feet now and loving it so don't lose heart!

I had my job before I came here (am at Lake Louise in Banff National Park) but it is easy enough to find a job in a 'ski town' if you're not completely set on living in the city. Certainly you're going at a pretty much ideal time to find a winter season job, I imagine they will probably have job fairs in Toronto. Something to think about anyway.

I love my netbook by the way, it is so portable and convenient, don't miss my big laptop at all. I'd recommend an external hard drive though if you like downloading movies.

That really is the important factor... be flexible!
Reply 296
That is really a pity with the visas. Canada is quite a tricky country to get into. Australia and New Zealand are indeed way easier and there are volunteering / travelling / internship opportunities down under as well. I wish you all that you can realize your dream of going abroad! It is an awesome thing to do.
Reply 297
Has anyone here got plane tickets yet, or firm ideas on when they're going? I really need to buy plane tickets soon before they get stupidly expensive or run out, and I'm thinking early-mid September, maybe August if I can't find a job here soon. Think I'm gonna end up getting a Bunac group flight even if it is more expensive, just cos of the extras you get with it.

Oh, and I got the netbook in the end... I love it! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 298
Just W-A-I-T-I-N-G for my visa but hoping to go to Canada between the middle of September to the beginning of October. I am actually going away somewhere else first then flying on to Canada (with many bags I'm sure). Just really want my visa so I can feel confident booking flights but will probably have to book it without having the visa through.

Are you guys booking one way tickets to Canada? Where are people flying in to?
Reply 299
Has anyone here got plane tickets yet, or firm ideas on when they're going? I really need to buy plane tickets soon before they get stupidly expensive or run out, and I'm thinking early-mid September. Think I'm gonna end up getting a Bunac group flight even if it is more expensive, just cos of the extras you get with it.

Oh, and I got the netbook in the end... I love it! :smile:

I'd recommend flying to Vancouver over Toronto. 1) It's a really cool place 2) It's not too far (in Canadian terms) from other places you might want to visit/work. Nearly all the good ski resorts are in BC (I know I'm harping on about ski resorts but it's really easy to find employment!) or just over the border in Alberta and it's not going to take you more than 12 hours bus ride to them from Van. If you fly to Toronto and don't like it or can't find a job then you're either a costly internal flight or a 3/4 day bus ride/drive away through prairie provinces from anywhere 'interesting'. No offence to anyone who lives there but I'm guessing you won't want to work in Saskatchewan or Manitoba.

Cons are: the further west you go the further you are away from home, bigger time difference, more expensive flights but in terms of employment I think you'd have better prospects.

Calgary could be another option if you want a city, it is smaller than Van/Toronto but you are close enough to the mountains to ski on the weekends if you want without actually having to live in an isolated ski town. Less working holiday makers go there so there's less competition for jobs. Taxation is lower in Alberta than Ontario or BC as well. The downsides of Calgary are that it gets very cold and it is very much a place where you live rather than a place you go to see. It doesn't appeal to tourists very much which can be a good or bad thing.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest