The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maria1234
how does the structure of DNA ensures that one gene codes for a specific protein?3

I think its this: the template strand codes for a strand of mRNA with the same base sequence as the coding strand.
each strand of mRNA codon codes for one amino acid, so peptide bonds form between the amino acids leading to a specific protein??
Finished spec notes for topic 7, theyre here if anyone wants them
Reply 1702
Original post by tkoki1993

Thanks a Bunch!

You ROCK!:biggrin::biggrin::tongue::wink:
Original post by phetylheminthes
isnt this chemoreceptor related to sense the level of carbondioxide in blood?and chemoreceptors are more into breathing homeostasis(a far as Ann Fullick's green book is concerned). :s-smilie:.
During exercise,the heart rate is regulated by negative feedback response to blood pressure in circulatory system.But to summarize,impulses along sympathetic is excitatory while that of parasympathetic is inhibitory to heart contraction.
I guess i just related the green book's information.

Yes, I was talking about decreased blood pH [caused by an increase in co2] is detected by chemoreceptors :smile:
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
Anyone know where to get answers to these questions: http://vle.havant.ac.uk/Biology_web/biology_questions.htm

i would also love the answers.

if we can't find the answers are you typing them up, because we could swap answers to see if were on the right path?
Original post by monkeyytastic

if we can't find the answers are you typing them up, because we could swap answers to see if were on the right path?

I don't think I'll do them if there's no answers. The questions look really good though, so it's a shame there are no answers.

Got Unit 4 next week as well, so I doubt I'll have time really.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ye this website contains amazing questions but there are no asnwers then I dont see the pojnt of it...
I would be pleased if any one can share their own answers with me via email or soo.there is no official markcheme!
Original post by monkeyytastic

Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
I don't think I'll do them if there's no answers. The questions look really good though, so it's a shame there are no answers.

Got Unit 4 next week as well, so I doubt I'll have time really.

Yeah same rethinking it I doubt i will have time either :smile:
Reply 1708

Thank you SOO much, those are really helpful! :biggrin:
Got any for Topic 8?
Hiiii, im a bit late joining this thread :smile:
does anyone have the jan 2010, jun 2010 and jan 2011 papers and mark schemes?
thanks
Reply 1710
any1 got the january 2011 paper? :smile:
Reply 1711
can som1 help with action potentials, finding it really hard to revise because i don't know how much of it we are meant know about
Original post by jklm123
can som1 help with action potentials, finding it really hard to revise because i don't know how much of it we are meant know about

Do you have the green textbook? I think we need to know how it happens (Na+ channels open, Na+ diffuses in, reversal of potential difference, membrane depolarised) and then restoring the resting potential (Na+ channels close, excess Na+ pumped out by Na pump, voltage dependent K+ channels open, K+ diffuse out until inside is -ve relative to outside) :smile:
Original post by Hibz93
Thank you SOO much, those are really helpful! :biggrin:
Got any for Topic 8?

I just started on topic 8 this morning. But i have an exam on tuesday so I'll probably finish on thursday
anyone can tell me all as bio practical i need to know about and may also a source(except books) where i can go over the method,results and conclusion please. I am teaching a2 bio to myself so havent done any practicals .
Reply 1715
Original post by moon_shine
Do you have the green textbook? I think we need to know how it happens (Na+ channels open, Na+ diffuses in, reversal of potential difference, membrane depolarised) and then restoring the resting potential (Na+ channels close, excess Na+ pumped out by Na pump, voltage dependent K+ channels open, K+ diffuse out until inside is -ve relative to outside) :smile:

I only have to orange (snab) book? lol, and it makes it look really confuisng..., have you got any notes on it? :smile:
Reply 1716

I just started on topic 8 this morning. But i have an exam on tuesday so I'll probably finish on thursday

Awh its okay, I can wait! :biggrin:
Chemistry 6B? I am doing it too, Good luck!
Original post by Hibz93
Awh its okay, I can wait! :biggrin:
Chemistry 6B? I am doing it too, Good luck!

narh... citizenship unit 2... I do OCR B chemistry not edexcel :'(
Urhg I am so pissed off with me self I just can't remember: how an action potential travels along an axon. I just keep memoring that part from the orange book but when I have to write it on my own words I can't! soo can anyone write it down for me in a CLEAR and PLANE english how action potential travels along the axon:This is what I no so far:
During the resting potential there the outside of the membrane is positively charges and the inside of the membrane negative. There is a great amount of K+ inside the membrane and NA- outside. WHen a stimulus arrives the Na+ rushes inside the membrane making the inside of the membrane more positivie in relative to the outide, so the membrane becomes depolarised. An electrical current is generated whcih causes immediately the Na+ to depolarise the adjecent memebrane. The Ka+ then opens on the first memebrane causing hyperpolarisation.Whilest on the next membrane action potential tranvels on the first membrane resting potential is achienved.In this way action potential travels in one direction,it cannot go back becuase the membran is in absilute refractory persion
so for 5 marks can anyone explain it to me in a continous form:h:ow action potential travels without soo much detail i wrote there........

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending