The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Does anybody know the raw mark to ums conversion for the coursework unit? Or what it was in previous years? I'm just trying to work out roughly the ums I need to aim for
thank to r.b I will kiss yu right now.....
Original post by Phenylethylamine_

Original post by Phenylethylamine_
I got a D :colondollar: Never got a D in my life, so the paper really threw me over! I need an A overall in biology, so it was really disappointing! But, I think another thing for me is that I've always used the SNAB textbook to revise and this time round I've been using the CGP revision guide, I wish I used the revision guide earlier. :rolleyes:
I mean I made extensive notes for all the topics, but I guess that textbook is just to understand concepts from not to revise from.

I got my script back, the gutting thing was that I was scoring 4/5, 2/3 in all the questions but unfortunately those 1 marks lost just accumulated :frown:

Are you doing unit 4 for the first time?

Same thing happened to me. Damn. I'm in the exact same situation.
Reply 1803
Original post by Maria1234
yes topic 6.1about immunity and infection stuff

Original post by Maria1234
hey do you have the answerrs let me please no.
if i cant find the answers there is no point on doing them!

Original post by StudentToday
is there a mark scheme to these...?
Also r they all relevent to the spec coz there were a few questions tht i had no idea to answer.. might jus b me thou...

Original post by jam277
Same thing happened to me. Damn. I'm in the exact same situation.

Heya
How did your paper go?
My friends were all compaining about a wavelenght question, but i havent seen the paper so i'm not sure of it...
hopefully grade boundaries are to all your favour!
Original post by r.b
Heya
How did your paper go?
My friends were all compaining about a wavelenght question, but i havent seen the paper so i'm not sure of it...
hopefully grade boundaries are to all your favour!

no talking abt the paper
Reply 1805
Does anyone else REALLY hate this biology course or am I alone here? :frown:
Reply 1806
Flan lol yu're nt alone :tongue:
I'm wd ya!

And yea Wavelength Q SUCKDDD big tyymm!
Discussion aftr 24 hours!
Time was A MAJOR obstacle!!

lol the girl sitting ryt next to me had a mental Breakdown when inviligator said 5 mints r left and she startd Crying! And aftr 2-3 mints she was Under Control ...

Mahnn this unit is Always suposdd 2 b da easy one!
Arghh nw ima scribble awl da way in unit 5! :tongue: haha!
Does Anyone have the Edexcel Biology Jan 2010 unit 5 mark scheme and question paper please?
Reply 1808
Original post by ziad aka zoohands
Does Anyone have the Edexcel Biology Jan 2010 unit 5 mark scheme and question paper please?

The first ppr of this new spec was Assessd In June 1O.

So for practice v have only 3 pprs, june 1O,Jan 11 nd Specimen ppr. :tongue:
Original post by Samia99
The first ppr of this new spec was Assessd In June 1O.

So for practice v have only 3 pprs, june 1O,Jan 11 nd Specimen ppr. :tongue:

well the specimen paper was crap, so i only have two practice papers bumsss :P
Reply 1810
Original post by ziad aka zoohands
well the specimen paper was crap, so i only have two practice papers bumsss :P

lol yeah! :tongue:
has anyone got any muscle questions?
Reply 1812
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
has anyone got any muscle questions?

How'd yu'r ppr g0? :tongue:
Original post by r.b
Well these questions have been made relevant to the new syabus...
copy those questions onto this thread then we could all discuss them!

3 a) What type of reaction is catalysed by the following enzymes.(6)
i a) dehydrogenase
ii a) decarboxylase?
b) What, if any, are the precise roles of these enzymes in glycolysis? (4)
c) Explain to what extent these enzymes are involved in the link reaction between glycolysis and the Krebs cycle. (3)

6 a) The pattern of change in lung volume during human breathing may be analysed with a
recording spirometer. Alternatively, breathing movements of the chest may be analysed by
means of the stethograph. Describe an investigation of the effects of strenuous exercise on
rate of breathing rate using one of these methods.
(10)
Original post by Samia99
How'd yu'r ppr g0? :tongue:

not allowed to discuss lol

if you can work out the code: NVG
Reply 1815
not allowed to discuss lol

if you can work out the code: NVG

hahaa Yeah i figurd the Code lol :tongue:

It's kk ... let's just hope unit 5 is not dat tight :tongue:
And yea grade boundaries should b low coz of the Wavelength Q :/
Original post by StudentToday
3 a) What type of reaction is catalysed by the following enzymes.(6)
i a) dehydrogenase
ii a) decarboxylase?
b) What, if any, are the precise roles of these enzymes in glycolysis? (4)
c) Explain to what extent these enzymes are involved in the link reaction between glycolysis and the Krebs cycle. (3)

a) (i)Dehydrogenase catalyse redox reactions, and in specific they facilitate the removal of hydrogen atoms from species and thus are involved in Oxidation of species. The hydrogen atoms are passed on to coenzymes/ hydrogen carriers that will become reduced when they accept the hydrogen atoms....

(ii) Decarboxylases facilitate decarboxylation reactions i.e. the removal of a carboxyl group which is released into the atmosphere by the body as carbon dioxide. The carbon chain which has been decarboxylated now has one carbon less.

b) Glycolysis is the first stage of respiration that takes place in the cytoplasm. It involves the breakdown of glucose into two molecules of pyruvate in a series of complex reactions. Only dehydrogenases are involved in glycolysis. When GALP (or TP), that is formed from the phosphorylated hexose is reduced to pyruvate, the dehydrogenases catalyse the reaction of the removal of hydrogen atoms. One GALP is reduced to one pyruvate and leads to the formation of one reduced NAD. (the dehydrogenases pass the hydrogens onto the coenzymes).

c) Both these enzymes are crucial in "forcing" the anaerobic glycolysis into an anaerobic stage through the link reaction. The 3C pyruvate from glycolysis is decarboxylated with the help of the decarboxylases to form the 2C acetate. This is accompanied by the dehydrogenation of the acetate, catalysed by the dehydrogenases. The reduced NAD is formed again. Without these enzymes, the rate of reaction would be too slow and these enzymes are necessary to form the acetyl coA that is then used in the Krebs Cycle - the aerobic stages of respiration
Original post by Samia99
hahaa Yeah i figurd the Code lol :tongue:

It's kk ... let's just hope unit 5 is not dat tight :tongue:
And yea grade boundaries should b low coz of the Wavelength Q :/

What about you?

Yeah need to own unit 5. Hopefully they are low. Don't give away any ques lol :tongue:
Reply 1818
Oh my GOD, someone please help me with the article?!?! I've literally done NOTHING with it except read it!! how is everyone revising for the article? Is it enough to just read it a couple of times then revise the related areas from the textbook e.g. gene doping??? heeeeeellllllllppppppp

What about you?

Yeah need to own unit 5. Hopefully they are low. Don't give away any ques lol :tongue:

I need to own this, because I completely ****** up. Looks like a C tops, damn it :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending