The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by timsquirrell
Any idea when reading lists will come out, and how they'll be sent out?

Last year my sister was recommended to buy one book before she started (but I don't think she really looked at it). I can't remember the name of it - maybe something like essential cell biology.
I think she got the book after August results. I can't ask her at the moment as she's having a mad week - suicide Sunday yesterday and may ball tomorrow- and all the partying in between.

Original post by Got the tshirt
Last year my sister was recommended to buy one book before she started (but I don't think she really looked at it). I can't remember the name of it - maybe something like essential cell biology.
I think she got the book after August results. I can't ask her at the moment as she's having a mad week - suicide Sunday yesterday and may ball tomorrow- and all the partying in between.

It depends on your college - I didn't get any reading list at all, my friend at Peterhouse (doing the same subject) got one just after results I think. By all means, if you want to do some preparatory reading then get the books out of your library once (if?) you get a list, but please don't bother buying any til you get here! Your subject society in college will probably have a book sale (selling the 2nd and 3rd years books off cheaply), or you could pool and buy a textbook with other friends on your course, or you might not need any at all - I made it through my whole first year with no textbooks. College libraries are really well stocked and are never too busy until exam term!
Reply 1842

Varies from college to college.
For example, Christ's is only sending their out at around results day (I say around results day because they'll know our results a few days before we do)

If you're so keen, you could have a look on your departmental website - I know that the NatSci website has a list for Prospective Freshers.

What subject?

I can't speak for your own subject but I know for arts that sticking to reading lists isn't too important and you shouldn't worry about it too much, only read if you fancy it
Original post by kpatb
Varies from college to college.
For example, Christ's is only sending their out at around results day (I say around results day because they'll know our results a few days before we do)

If you're so keen, you could have a look on your departmental website - I know that the NatSci website has a list for Prospective Freshers.

What subject?

I'm on Medicine - I've been looking around and haven't found anything so far, but I might just be looking in the wrong places.
If your offer is A* in a specific subject but that is missed, will they consider you if you got A*'s in other subjects ?
Reply 1846
Original post by ScotlandLiv
If your offer is A* in a specific subject but that is missed, will they consider you if you got A*'s in other subjects ?

I'd imagine you're almost certainly going to be considered if you miss your offer, they're very unlikely to automatically reject you, but I wouldn't know what your chances of still getting in are. Any alternative A*s can only help...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1847
I'm on Medicine - I've been looking around and haven't found anything so far, but I might just be looking in the wrong places.

From some googling, here's some links which seem like they may be useful:
Biology Department - Medicine
Kings College's Medicine Reading List (Though this may not be your college,there's a chance that the suggested reading would be quite similar)

Hope that's been a bit useful :smile:
You know the way the college requires photocopies/original copies of exam certificates....has anyone sent them yet??
Reply 1849
Original post by mrmayrhofen
You know the way the college requires photocopies/original copies of exam certificates....has anyone sent them yet??

only if you don't get the results? (if you live in england UCAS will send the results)
I mean gcse and as certificates etc. i was just wondering whether people have sent them yet or are just going to send them on day of august results?
Reply 1851
I mean gcse and as certificates etc. i was just wondering whether people have sent them yet or are just going to send them on day of august results?

Hmm well i haven't been told about sending them. The certificates don't come untill later in September. I only got told that if i didn't meet the requirements i've got to photocopy and send my UMS marks for a level across.

I seem to remember sending mine pretty early - I think it was during the time where there was really heavy snow, so about January. But I expect it depends on your college. :smile:
Reply 1853

Robinson asked me for mine ASAP, and copies of UMS score sheets if i didnt have certificates yet so i sent it all off a while ago and will send my certificates as soon as i get them.
Reply 1854
How have everyone's exams been? hope they've gone well :smile:
Original post by Betsss

STEP II was really hard, but I think I got it ok

Physics 4 was an absolute bitch

you?
Reply 1856
Original post by Betsss

Abysmally. I actually think I've got 2 Us this week. Although one was general studies so that can get in the bin.
Reply 1857
Original post by cpdavis

Original post by cpdavis

you?

Haha i've done 5 so far! Bio4 was quite good, c3 was alright, history was...meh..., and i messed up c4 SO badly! also did physics 4 today, thought the multiple choice was quite hard!

:eek:, but the written part was better than jan :smile:
Reply 1858
Original post by Zuzuzu

Original post by Zuzuzu
Abysmally. I actually think I've got 2 Us this week. Although one was general studies so that can get in the bin.

I feel like that about C4! :frown:
Reply 1859
Original post by cpdavis

you?

Is that AQA A unit 4? Its designed to be hard: its only like 60% for an A (well it was last year!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending