The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sammycjones
YEY ! :smile: - made me a very happy person!

i wrote loads about unit 5 cycles, was finding it hard to cram other units in

The bulk of mine was the Unit 4 stuff. I only had Mitosis for unit 1 and menstrual for unit 5.
Original post by FristyKino
So failing this exam.
Only managed to miss 4 marks worth of questions. But I know for a fact that the BS that I wrote as answers is gonna get me a fail. Bye leeds

Ahhhhh i think it's bye Leeds for me too! :/
I answered every question, but yeah :lol: lots of BSing going on....
Reply 2582
I can't believe muscles , synapses action potentials didn't come up...ARGH. Why only test half the syllabus..But the essay was fine :smile:
Original post by danneh150
I put pentose sugar.. surely this would be right?

Technically its right, and it will probably say on the markscheme 'accept pentose sugar'.
Original post by SammyJ
He-LLOOO Clearingg!

Pissed. Missed more questions than I ever have before (went back and wrote rubbish in them after)
Possibly the worst biology exam I've done.Learnt entire book before exam literally only skipped a bit of the menstrual cycle because it was too confusing and i ran out of revision time. What comes up? I put that Oestrogen stimulates follicle growth FML.

The endonuclease/mapping thing was a joke. The rest was all practically HSW which I blatantlyy got wrong. What dideveryone put for the lizard?

I actually liked the second to last question on enzymes for phosphate/lactase and krebs cycle though. Nice 4 marker. What did everyone put for the second question? It was mathematic, to do with complimentary bases? I put 16 and 17. and also the question after that.. what was it again?

no definition questions!

Oh and the process by which growth factors (or something) reach their target cells I put Diffusion? and there was another question about how they reach target cells.. i put through blood/ bing to receptors on cell surface membranes.

Thats exactly what i did. I hated the oestrous cycle and read over my notes this morning before exams and thought it wont come up again since it came up in june so didnt bother reading it :mad: why couldnt they just have protein channels/nerve stuff again!! :frown:
That cycles essay was a gift
a heaven-sent gift especially for me
our teacher (now my favourite 1) made us write a plan and essay for cycles in biology which i revised yesterday night
i wrote about the cell cycle, ps, resp. carbon & nitrogen and cardiac cycle
Reply 2586
Original post by Tericon
Would mentioning the hormone HCG within the menstural cycle in the cycle essay be enough for an outside spec mark?

yes
I did the cycles essay and actually even went further by listing the names of the of the substrates in the krebs cycle.
I just didn't understand some of the horrible graphs... I just didn't...
Original post by Zakir
i think i messed up the essay?

i talkd about transription/translation

miosis/mitosis...gene therapy. transcriptional factors etc

I started with DNA introduction: degenerate,non overlapping, universal.
Recombinant Dna technology( genetic engineering)
Gene therapy,
In vivo &in vitro (somewhere squished between these two topic)
DNA finger printing ands its use ( forensic science, investigate diversity in species, jeremy kyle)
Irrelevent but I wrote about ethical issues surrrounding Recombinant dna tech and all those.. and then times up! Hoping for the best
Reply 2589
i got 5:1 :smile: oh and for question 1a. was it a one mark question!!!! cus i put phosphate sugar :frown:
Reply 2590
was the first question

ribose sugar and phosphate group??
Reply 2591
Before i forget: what did everyone put for why The lizards uptake of oxygen increased when it moved into hotter temps?

I put more enzyme activity/more atp needed/more o2 for respiration

also i noted there was a LOT of graphs to decipher in this exam

and using information from the graph to explain how it shows that volume was effected by nerve impulse? wtf was that all about! I just put that A was labelled as 'nerve impulse' and the Y axis was labelled as (whatever it was labelled as)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by IFondledAGibbon
The bulk of mine was the Unit 4 stuff. I only had Mitosis for unit 1 and menstrual for unit 5.

oh sorry i was meant to put unit 4, haha my bad.

i put some organisms intake oxygen in different ways such as spiracles and the counter-current system.... is that enough of a refernce for unit 2 :confused:
Original post by percy93
i put about how it stimulates transcription and also can bind to oestrogen to be expressed.. don't know if i'll get away with putting two things thoguh

yes yes yes.. I added that it had a binding site for dna as well :s-smilie:
I didnt like liposome Q in the end. I don't know why but it annoyed me!
Original post by sammycjones
oh sorry i was meant to put unit 4, haha my bad.

i put some organisms intake oxygen in different ways such as spiracles and the counter-current system.... is that enough of a refernce for unit 2 :confused:

More that I put. I couldn't think of anything from unit 2!
Reply 2596
Original post by SammyJ
Before i forget: what did everyone put for why The lizards uptake of oxygen increased when it moved into hotter temps?

i talked about homeostasis?? :s
Reply 2597
Original post by Zakir
was the first question

Yup :biggrin:
Original post by Zakir
was the first question

I sure hope so.
Original post by SammyJ

Same here yeah! HIGH FIVE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending