The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Any thoughts on what the grade boundaries will be?

I found the exam very hard but that may be just me! I think I must have lost so many marks by simple mistakes - not reading through properly or just missing out points that they may have on their very specific mark schemes!
[QUOTE="VetApplicant2011;32398142"]
Original post by nadiaaraquel

I out that it is normally impermeable to the ions so their movement across the membrane can be controlled by the K+/Na+ pump and the K+ channels, allowing a resting potential to be set up. Thennn when an impulse is propagated, the voltage gated channels are important.

WHY WAS THERE NOTHING ON RESPIRATION!?!?!?

I learnt all those fcuking reactions and krebs for nothing. GAHH.

Yep, that's what I wrote too for the axon membrane one. :wink:

I know!!! I wanted respiration to come up SO BAD, esp chemiosmosis/oxidative phosphorylation!
Original post by bertstare

anyone?

yeh i talked about that, and more frequency means faster breathing rate etc..

for Epo i talked about negative feedback aswel :biggrin: and how since O2 is balanced gene for epo would be switched off in the renal cells, (as kidney produces epo)
I hope the examiners can read through some of my waffle. :ashamed2:
anyone?

yarrr i put count the peaks in a known time frame and scale up to a minute, then for volume measure top of peaks and bottom of peaks and calculate difference. Ahhh just thinking we should probably have put take an average of a few peaks to make it more accurate :/ mayeb thats what the third mark was for.

And EPO I put about trascription factors.. repressors molecules binding to the promoter region for the epo dna and alsooo end point inhibition though I dont think the endpoint inhibition is right for protein synthessis stuff :s-smilie:
Reply 2845
the exam wasnt easy but wasnt hard but i hated it :/

what do you think the grade boundaries will be for an A...?

i think i made alot of stupid mistakes and i forgot to mention alot of things...

the article questions were much much easier than i expected :smile:
anyone?

I said count the number of peaks to see breathing rate (number of breaths per second) lol. and for EPO i said about repressor molecules and lack of transcription factors binding to the RNA polymerase, meaning no transcription-initiation complex :smile:
AHH, I think I've discussed enough answers, don't want to really know about the others :P See ya guys, I'm off :smile: Just leave it now, it's done, hopefully edexcel with sympathise with us and can read my illegible babble/waffle :P
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Haha, yup, I wrote that too, that runner A may have been sprinting. I think knowing edexcel, i.e. stating the obvious, it might be correct :wink: I mean it did say 'suggest', so I'm thinking something obvious and simple for that question. Because if you put it in a real life, it's true one runner in a marathon's temperature might be higher overall than the other runner.

Haha so true, tbh if wed put "maybe someone got a giant heat lamp and carried it next to him for the last 40 minutes of the race, how inconsiderate of them" we would probably get the marks. We can but hope :smile:
I totally ran out of time, missed out loads! I drew the shoot growing towards the light, I don't understand how the agar comes into it (but then I haven't studied bio properly) I also drew a monohybrid cross for the question about the guy with the gene. I thought it would've said if his dad was a carrier so changed it and said he was a carrier and his genes could mutate :s-smilie: was such a bad waffle!

I've never winged it/blagged it/waffled so much before.
[QUOTE="VetApplicant2011;32398142"]

I out that it is normally impermeable to the ions so their movement across the membrane can be controlled by the K+/Na+ pump and the K+ channels, allowing a resting potential to be set up. Thennn when an impulse is propagated, the voltage gated channels are important.

WHY WAS THERE NOTHING ON RESPIRATION!?!?!?

I learnt all those fcuking reactions and krebs for nothing. GAHH.

you mean action potential? :smile: I know right, apent all that time learning about citrate and all of the chemiosmosis theory stuff, but it didnt come up :frown: Also nothing on rhods or the eye! It was unfair I actually loved the whole rhodopsin bleaching thing. haha
Reply 2851
The question that asks you to label a motor nuerone: there was only one motor nuerone that synapsed with the gill and the relay nuerone i thought!

what did people put for the 'small blood vessle in Q7?

what did people put for 1c? the structure of the membrane that allows conduction or something!

what did everyone get for the slow twitch in the ph 7 sensitivity Q? i put 0.95!

Hope i get atleast 70 UMS!
[QUOTE="tophothari;32398170"]

Q) Describe how the structure of axon cell membrane aids with conducting an impulse. (3)

i put:
- Has Na/K pump, which uses ATP to actively pump ions against conc gradient.
- Has voltage-gated Na and K ion channels, allows them ions to be permeable across cell membrane (otherwide ions cann't diffuse through lipid bilayer).
- continuous, hence Na ions can diffuse sideways and carrying the impulse along, like a mexican wave (Yes i did say like a mexican wave cuz im a ****ing retard)

retard

*lad.
Original post by claire4095
I said count the number of peaks to see breathing rate (number of breaths per second) lol. and for EPO i said about repressor molecules and lack of transcription factors binding to the RNA polymerase, meaning no transcription-initiation complex :smile:

ahhh fuks sake i totally forgot about transcription factors for that one. i def lose marks there and also for the final 4 marker i said

-caused by recessive allele
- drew the square thing and it was 1/4 chance the kid had double recessive
-talked about what a mutation was

could think what else to write though, what did everyone else put down?

and also for the comparison between plant hormones and animal hormones, wtf?? what points were there for that?
Original post by VetApplicant2011
Haha so true, tbh if wed put "maybe someone got a giant heat lamp and carried it next to him for the last 40 minutes of the race, how inconsiderate of them" we would probably get the marks. We can but hope :smile:

Hahaha, that made me laugh!! Knowing edexcel SNAB, they must receive a whole range of answers..:tongue: Though, I've definitely noticed through looking at edexcel mark schemes, state the obvious and you get the marks :P So, I do think it was a simple question requiring a simple answer :wink:
Also, why was there no Krebs cycle? Photophosphorylation? Oxidative phosphorylation? electron transport chain? I thought these were the biggest/most difficult topics so knew them back to front :frown:
Original post by Meesta
The question that asks you to label a motor nuerone: there was only one motor nuerone that synapsed with the gill and the relay nuerone i thought!

what did people put for the 'small blood vessle in Q7?

what did people put for 1c? the structure of the membrane that allows conduction or something!

what did everyone get for the slow twitch in the ph 7 sensitivity Q? i put 0.95!

Hope i get atleast 70 UMS!

There was 2 motor neurones :smile: i think B and C? or C and D forgotten now hehe.
For the blood vessel i put arterioles.
[QUOTE="nadiaaraquel;32398261"]
Original post by VetApplicant2011

you mean action potential? :smile: I know right, apent all that time learning about citrate and all of the chemiosmosis theory stuff, but it didnt come up :frown: Also nothing on rhods or the eye! It was unfair I actually loved the whole rhodopsin bleaching thing. haha

i know right! bad times :frown: also, i know this sounds harsh but I know a lot of people who just didnt learn the whole respiration topic, they were just like meh cba il just lose a few marks its too much effort kinda thing.. and theyve pretty much got away with it :frown: Makes me angryyyyy :mad:
for the axon i put dendrites and cell body????????//
Reply 2859
For 'compare animal hormones and plant hormones', was it alright to talk about the differences in the response time to hormones such as adrenaline in animals I.e it acts very quickly and plant hormones like iaa which acts much slower? Or were we supposed to talk about hormones that are slow like in plants e.g hormones that trigger puberty etc??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending