The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3060
THE EXAM WAS AWSOME ! NO STUPID COMMON SENSE 'HOW SCIENCE WORKS' S*** LIKE UNIT 4 LOOOOOL THEY ACTUALLY ASKED US ABOUT BIOLOGY THEORY AND STUFF IN THE TEXT BOOK :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

-for that tick box Q in the middle of the paper i said 2 of them were motor neurones n 2 were something else (cant remember)
-for the first question i said the thing in the middle was the axon, the myelin sheith was the whole thing and the swan cell was the side bit and the nucleus was in the side bit
-myelin sheith is an electrical insulator, node of ranvier, saltatory conduction etc....
- both parents were carriers : Aa Aa ... (PUNNET SQUARE) he had 2 resessive aa a.k.a 25% chance of disease
- repolarisation is when cardiac muscle relaxes and when nerve cells go back to resting potential by reverting the process by allowing K ions to leave the cell
- i faced the auzin away from the light coz they swapped the blocks and i jus assumed that there was no light in the 2nd bit
- hormonal in mamals vs. tropisms = both SLOW both *CHEMICAL* erm tropisms are CELL TO CELL hormones go through the BLOOD
- thermoregularity- negative feedbasck - thermoreceptors - hypothalamus- heat loss- inhibits hair errector muscles- vassodilation- stimulates sweatglands so heat loss my evaporation
-immune sysem Q - antigen presenting cells- b cells clonal expansion by mitosis- antobodies - thelper cells activate these - tkiller cells activated - perforins - attack viral cells - etc...

cant b botherd to write more lol *revises for F334 exam tomorow*
(edited 12 years ago)
Can you guys help me remember all the questions
Q1 - label the diagram,
b?
c structure of the axon membrane
Reply 3062
Original post by MyJunkIsYou
I don't think they do. It was one of those answers where I could remember that restriction enzymes cut something or other and there would definately be some breaking of peptide bonds...and then I just invented a new scientific theory as you do in exams to put the two ideas together

the answer was it was hydrolysed
Reply 3063
Original post by Paolat
THE EXAM WAS AWSOME ! NO STUPID COMMON SENSE 'HOW SCIENCE WORKS' S*** LIKE UNIT 4 LOOOOOL THEY ACTUALLY ASKED US ABOUT BIOLOGY THEORY AND STUFF IN THE TEXT BOOK :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

-for that tick box Q in the middle of the paper i said 2 of them were motor neurones n 2 were something else (cant remember)
-for the first question i said the thing in the middle was the axon, the myelin sheith was the whole thing and the swan cell was the side bit and the nucleus was in the side bit
-myelin sheith is an electrical insulator, node of ranvier, saltatory conduction etc....
- both parents were carriers : Aa Aa ... (PUNNET SQUARE) he had 2 resessive aa a.k.a 25% chance of disease
- repolarisation is when cardiac muscle relaxes and when nerve cells go back to resting potential by reverting the process by allowing K ions to leave the cell
- i faced the auzin away from the light coz they swapped the blocks and i jus assumed that there was no light in the 2nd bit
- hormonal in mamals vs. tropisms = both SLOW both ELECTRICAL erm tropisms are CELL TO CELL hormones go through the BLOOD
- thermoregularity- negative feedbasck - thermoreceptors - hypothalamus- heat loss- inhibits hair errector muscles- vassodilation- stimulates sweatglands so heat loss my evaporation
-immune sysem Q - antigen presenting cells- b cells clonal expansion by mitosis- antobodies - thelper cells activate these - tkiller cells activated - perforins - attack viral cells - etc...

cant b botherd to write more lol *revises for F334 exam tomorow*

um hormones in plants surely are not electrical, they don't have a CNS unlike animal hormones :smile:
Reply 3064
what did everyone put for the sensitivity of the slow twitch muscle fibre in the table? for both pH solutions. and for the differences on the right hand side!
Original post by Paolat
omg that attached practise question thing from that head of biology teacher had the EXACT same questions WOOOOOHOOOOOO

thissssssss, i would have got zero on that last question if it werent for him, same for a few other things like the proteasome. haha
Original post by MyJunkIsYou
I don't think they do. It was one of those answers where I could remember that restriction enzymes cut something or other and there would definately be some breaking of peptide bonds...and then I just invented a new scientific theory as you do in exams to put the two ideas together
0mg!! Ditto i wrote the same thing! L0l! :P
Reply 3067
anyone get 0.95 for slow twitch in ph 7 and 2.00 in ph 6 = difference of 1.05?
Original post by Meesta

Original post by Meesta
anyone get 0.95 for slow twitch in ph 7 and 2.00 in ph 6 = difference of 1.05?

Think I just left it at 0.9 but i reckon they'll allow both although you'll never know :s
Original post by Engineer31
I put viscosity of the blood (how many red blood cells), I'm not sure whether mine will be on the mark scheme...

i PUT VISCOSITY too xD i also said how easily the blood flows through heart chambers, just to make sure xD
Reply 3070
Original post by Jammers123
Think I just left it at 0.9 but i reckon they'll allow both although you'll never know :s

ahh okay hopefully! i thought it was too close to the 1 line to be 0.9 :frown:
Original post by Meesta

fuk i said it was 1.0

did anyone else put 1.0
Original post by Meesta

Original post by Meesta

Yeah it was like well close but they always allow anything between a range of numbers anyway :L
This exam was a big fat juicy mothership of a let down! Technically I have an A level in biology (grade yet to be determined) but I haven't been tested on half the stuff I spent a year learning and then sacrificed my social life to spend chunderish amounts of time on revision! gaaah

I felt the questions were either easy, had apeared almost exactly the same on past papers, or were really obscure and made me wonder how to answer them.

I don't feel this paper tested my biology.. I felt it tested my exam technique and ability not to make mistakes (of which I made many.. like saying the auxin stimulated the proton pumps on the membrane when it's actually the functional second messananger becoming a transcriprion factor that does that! aagh)

I hate easy exams because it means grade boundaries are low and my mistakes actually matter then... with hard exams i can afford to make mistakes because the grade boundaries are higher and I'm good at the actual biology stuff :smile: which is why i liked unit 4 jan so much :biggrin:

deffo didn't know what the answer to to troponin was so i'm pretty sure I made up some chemistry.. I thought all troponin was the same? hence the name troponin = troponin for fast and slow! :L

For the multiple choice one where everone is saying it was a relay.. I was confused by this too untill I realised the Q was onlly worth 3 marks... so one of the letters (the relay neurone) was not supposed to be answered. I thought that was a bit sly of them ¬.¬
Original post by monkeyslut27

This exam was a big fat juicy mothership of a let down! Technically I have an A level in biology (grade yet to be determined) but I haven't been tested on half the stuff I spent a year learning and then sacrificed my social life to spend chunderish amounts of time on revision! gaaah

I felt the questions were either easy, had apeared almost exactly the same on past papers, or were really obscure and made me wonder how to answer them.

I don't feel this paper tested my biology.. I felt it tested my exam technique and ability not to make mistakes (of which I made many.. like saying the auxin stimulated the proton pumps on the membrane when it's actually the functional second messananger becoming a transcriprion factor that does that! aagh)

I hate easy exams because it means grade boundaries are low and my mistakes actually matter then... with hard exams i can afford to make mistakes because the grade boundaries are higher and I'm good at the actual biology stuff :smile: which is why i liked unit 4 jan so much :biggrin:

deffo didn't know what the answer to to troponin was so i'm pretty sure I made up some chemistry.. I thought all troponin was the same? hence the name troponin = troponin for fast and slow! :L

For the multiple choice one where everone is saying it was a relay.. I was confused by this too untill I realised the Q was onlly worth 3 marks... so one of the letters (the relay neurone) was not supposed to be answered. I thought that was a bit sly of them ¬.¬

Yeah, but sometimes when it is a 3 mark multiple choice question, you have to get 4 correct to get three, 3 to get two, and 2 to get one etc.
Reply 3075
Original post by bertstare
fuk i said it was 1.0

did anyone else put 1.0

Original post by Jammers123
Yeah it was like well close but they always allow anything between a range of numbers anyway :L

Hopefully they do a range of 0.9-1 lol then we all get the marks
Original post by bertstare
fuk i said it was 1.0

did anyone else put 1.0

yee I also put 1.0 i hope theres a range
Original post by Meesta

Original post by Meesta
Hopefully they do a range of 0.9-1 lol then we all get the marks

I reckon that's what they will do.
Reply 3078

wait WHAT?
auxin does stimulate the H+ pumps! what is this transcription factor rubbish? I thought that was only for animal cells!
it says that word for word in the textbook so idk what you're talking about, LOL, that's the only question I was confident about -.-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending