The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

I remember writing stroke volume somewhere :/

Also unofficial mark scheme anyone? :ahee:
Reply 3161
Original post by blush.ox
I remember writing stroke volume somewhere :/

Also unofficial mark scheme anyone? :ahee:

paper first :biggrin:
Original post by medtobe
paper first :biggrin:

Noone has it yet? :sad:
Reply 3163
Original post by blush.ox
Noone has it yet? :sad:

no :frown:
Reply 3164
What does inshallah mean?
Reply 3165
Original post by LibbyU
What does inshallah mean?

If God wills... (in Arabic)
what is the answer for the question that asked about EPO production in Q7 ??
Original post by raednassar
what is the answer for the question that asked about EPO production in Q7 ??

i wrote about transcription factors and repressor molecules preventing the gene from being expressed... some people put negative feedback aswell.. :/
Reply 3168
Hi guys, did anyone else put in that pH q about muscles that fast twitch muscles respire mainly anaerobic and slow twitch aerobic... therefore lower pH in anaerobic conditions i.e. more lactic acid and so fast twitch muscles more adapted to pH6?
Also, the only q that I couldn't answer was the troponin one... the q said that taking troponin from fast twitch and putting it in slow twitch made it act like fast twitch (or v.v. i can't remember). I can't find it in any of my (3) textbooks... anyone have an answer?
Reply 3169
Reply 3170
Original post by JP83
Hi guys, did anyone else put in that pH q about muscles that fast twitch muscles respire mainly anaerobic and slow twitch aerobic... therefore lower pH in anaerobic conditions i.e. more lactic acid and so fast twitch muscles more adapted to pH6?
Also, the only q that I couldn't answer was the troponin one... the q said that taking troponin from fast twitch and putting it in slow twitch made it act like fast twitch (or v.v. i can't remember). I can't find it in any of my (3) textbooks... anyone have an answer?

Yssss Jen, i did write exactly this for the pH qn and i believe it is ryt, and then i went on by explaining one other point which i can't atm remember....

Well, as far as i think, in the troponin qn we had to answer from our own basic knowledge and cover a point or two from the spec....so i said that troponin is a protein and it's tertiary and quaternary structure determines whether Calcium ions bind to it or not; it's structure is same whether it is found in either of the two types of muscle fibres therefore the binding of calcium ions to troponin is not affected by the type of muscle fibre the troponin is found in....i hope this is ryt....these points were the only ideas that came into my mind at that time....what did u write for this qn?

Cheers!
Original post by M Kh
Yssss Jen, i did write exactly this for the pH qn and i believe it is ryt, and then i went on by explaining one other point which i can't atm remember....

Well, as far as i think, in the troponin qn we had to answer from our own basic knowledge and cover a point or two from the spec....so i said that troponin is a protein and it's tertiary and quaternary structure determines whether Calcium ions bind to it or not; it's structure is same whether it is found in either of the two types of muscle fibres therefore the binding of calcium ions to troponin is not affected by the type of muscle fibre the troponin is found in....i hope this is ryt....these points were the only ideas that came into my mind at that time....what did u write for this qn?

Cheers!

I thought the question asked why the fast twich fibres replaced with slow twich troponin had the same sensitivity as slow twitch?! They didn't stay the same did they?

I said that fast twich are used for short bursts of rapid movement so have more sarcoplasmic reticulum and release more ca2+ ions which the troponin is more sensitive to and more abundant to allow for rapid contraction ,.. then i wrote the relevent but of the sliding filament theory out. then I said so replacing it with slow twitch troponin would mean more (the same amount as slow twitch) ca2+ is required for contraction to the same degree.

I hope I didn't completely misinterpret the question ... But the whole abundance/sensitivity thing I just made up cause I had no idea how to answer it with texbook knowledge
Reply 3172
have mixed views on this paper now :frown:
Original post by JP83

Yeah I wrote that about the fibres ... I also said that slow twich respire aerobically which requires more respiritory enzymes which could denature at pH6
Original post by mobius323

The strength ran in the mother's side of the family. It didn't say anything about the father's side, so I assumed he had no such mutation. Talking in terms of genotypes, that is definitely an AA genotype.

The question asked how the boy "could have obtained this mutation." The article said the boy "had a mutation in both copies of the gene". It also said the mother had "a mutation in one copy of the gene". There is no reference to the father having such a mutation, but there is a reference to the mother. Conversely, if the father had been mentioned and the mother had not, it's not accurate to say the mother would have the mutation.

I've always been taught to work on information I have, not information I would like to have. So, in that case, I worked on the premise that they boy might have obtained the mutation on his own. After all, it asked to suggest a way, not give a way.

According to that, the mother should also be a superhuman as well. Which the information did not say.
Looking at this thread, I know I flopped biology hard. Hopefully I get a B so I can get into uni.
Reply 3176
The mother is heterozygous recessive, and so is the father since the superbaby is the only human known to have this condition, as it says in the article. So the superbaby is homozygous recessive, making him have the condition. There is a 1 in 4 chance of this happening. And remember, the superbaby has no myostatin, so the allele must be recessive.
Reply 3177
Original post by monkeyslut27
I thought the question asked why the fast twich fibres replaced with slow twich troponin had the same sensitivity as slow twitch?! They didn't stay the same did they?

I said that fast twich are used for short bursts of rapid movement so have more sarcoplasmic reticulum and release more ca2+ ions which the troponin is more sensitive to and more abundant to allow for rapid contraction ,.. then i wrote the relevent but of the sliding filament theory out. then I said so replacing it with slow twitch troponin would mean more (the same amount as slow twitch) ca2+ is required for contraction to the same degree.

I hope I didn't completely misinterpret the question ... But the whole abundance/sensitivity thing I just made up cause I had no idea how to answer it with texbook knowledge

ummm....well even i hope i did not completely misinterpret the qn...v shall not really worry as v r already done with the exam......v don't know whose answer is right so all v hav got to do is wait for the results and the qps and ms to be out....until then no one will know whose ans is right and whose wrong....i hop all receive the results they deserve....All the best for the 18th of August!!
Original post by jam277
According to that, the mother should also be a superhuman as well. Which the information did not say.

The article says the mother had one mutation and had some excess strength. It also said the boy "was the first to lack any myostatin at all. You can assume from this that the boy was different to his mother.
Reply 3179
The article says the mother had one mutation and had some excess strength. It also said the boy "was the first to lack any myostatin at all. You can assume from this that the boy was different to his mother.

And his father.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending