The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by affinity89
You don't have to give your reason for resignation. Sainsbury's have no right to even ask to be honest. So long as you are following procedure and giving your notice, they can't complain. If you want to say why, you can. But that is your decision. :smile:

I stated the date my notice period would start from - the day I gave them the letter - and the date that my employment would finish - the day four weeks later. :smile:

I addressed mine to the checkouts manager and CCed it to HR. Perhaps you could do it that way?

awesome, yeah think ill just do that, thanks :biggrin: its going to feel weird not working there anymore...
Original post by TSR Dragon
Heya, I was thinking of applying for a night shift job at my local Sainsburys. On the job description it didn't actually say what the job involved :s-smilie:. So what do you do over a night shift? Is it basically just stacking shelves and stuff like that?

its **** :smile: in a nutshell :tongue: you stack for 10 hours pretty much
Original post by inksplodge

This, and also I wouldn't risk ****ing up your sleep.

Original post by morris743
This, and also I wouldn't risk ****ing up your sleep.

It would only be 2/3 times a week and I like boring, dull, monotonous tasks anyways. I like peace and quiet too :smile:. Really could do with the money, so I think I will risk it and apply before the job is taken off the site! I can always leave if it is that bad....
(edited 12 years ago)
It would only be 2/3 times a week and I like boring, dull, monotonous tasks anyways. I like peace and quiet too :smile:. Really could do with the money, so I think I will risk it and apply before the job is taken off the site! I can always leave if it is that bad....

You wont get much piece and quite, they usually play music throughout the night. So if yoou do go for it take an ipod or something unless you want to llisten to bad pop from the 90s or "From the river of babylon" ten time a shift.
Reply 8845
I'm popping back here...

Used to work for Sainsbury's last year. Left. Moved to London. Just applied again. Vacancy taken off the site. Fingers crossed for an interview.

i did 3 nights, then dropped to 2. 2 was worse and it affected my sleep more than 3 did :frown:by all means go for it but it isnt worth hte money they pay you. i got really ill and was prone to ear infections whilst i worked nights ha.
are people just ignoring my posts now? :frown:
Original post by xangelinax
You wont get much piece and quite, they usually play music throughout the night. So if yoou do go for it take an ipod or something unless you want to llisten to bad pop from the 90s or "From the river of babylon" ten time a shift.

lol. My store plays Magic 105.4 every night.

It wouldn't be that bad if they didn't play the exact same playlist every day.
Reply 8849
The instore radio is terrible. For a while I used to start at 5am and in that hour before the store opened it will always be the same Lady Gaga or Katy Perry songs. I've given up going in early now.
My late finish at Sainsburys on a Sunday wouldn't be complete without Peter Andre - Mysterious Girl. :rolleyes:
Reply 8851
Another question, i'm contracted to work 12 hours a week but on the schedule over the last couple weeks they've scribbled that out and put it as 16 hours and added 4 more hours to my Saturday shift.

Now, i'm ok with them doing this as long as i'm not busy, but surely they should be asking me?
I had my interview on friday and not heard back yet, is this a good or bad sign, or neutral? Does it mean I haven't been rejected based on the DVD test and they are waiting to interview the rest of the candidates
Original post by Swell
Another question, i'm contracted to work 12 hours a week but on the schedule over the last couple weeks they've scribbled that out and put it as 16 hours and added 4 more hours to my Saturday shift.

Now, i'm ok with them doing this as long as i'm not busy, but surely they should be asking me?

Yeah, they should be really, although I doubt they would make it a permanent change on your contract without telling you! I would talk to your manager about it and ask why you've been put down to work more than your contracted hours. Unless it's some sort of training? :s-smilie: That's the only thing I've ever had a change in my contracted hours for.
Reply 8854
Original post by Swell

Yeah I would tell them to stop doing that before it gets stupid. They like to take advantage. It's quite childish really.
Reply 8855
Original post by briesandwich
Yeah, they should be really, although I doubt they would make it a permanent change on your contract without telling you! I would talk to your manager about it and ask why you've been put down to work more than your contracted hours. Unless it's some sort of training? :s-smilie: That's the only thing I've ever had a change in my contracted hours for.

I'll ask my line manager, because i think it might be her who's been changing it. And no it's not training, and they're not exactly stretched on a Saturday so i'm not sure really. Cheers anyway.

Original post by FXX
Yeah I would tell them to stop doing that before it gets stupid. They like to take advantage. It's quite childish really.

Ye that's what i'm worried about, like i said above i think i'll just ask my line manager and see what she says.
Original post by Spellstheend
I had my interview on friday and not heard back yet, is this a good or bad sign, or neutral? Does it mean I haven't been rejected based on the DVD test and they are waiting to interview the rest of the candidates

Just need to sit tight and wait I'm afraid. I had to wait over a week or so to find out. Good luck!
I filled in an application yesterday and submitted it on the off chance I might get contacted and then I get a phone call at 9am this morning asking me to book an interview, lovely. :smile:

Only thing is, I've woken up feeling VERY ill this morning and I'm going on holiday for 11 days as of Sunday (this was booked like, 6 months ago) so they don't know when they can fit me in for an interview. Damn. :frown:
Original post by FXX
The instore radio is terrible. For a while I used to start at 5am and in that hour before the store opened it will always be the same Lady Gaga or Katy Perry songs. I've given up going in early now.

sure it wasnt my ipod??? :wink:
Reply 8859
sure it wasnt my ipod??? :wink:

I was going to say, a lot of people must like it because barely any of the nightshift have iPods :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending