The Student Room Group

Double first?

Hi, may I ask what's the meaning of a double first in Cambridge?
I know it's defined as getting firsts in two Parts of tripos..
but for example the Economics tripos has Part I, Part IIA and Part IIB
does it mean that one needs to get Firsts in all three years to get a 'double first'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bumble.bee
Hi, may I ask what's the meaning of a double first in Cambridge?
I know it's defined as getting firsts in two Parts of tripos..
but for example the Economics tripos has Part I, Part IIA and Part IIB
does it mean that one needs to get Firsts in all three years to get a 'double first'?

I don't know how it works with econ. Law has part IA, part IB, and part II--a double first is a first in parts IB and II. I'd talk to an econ tutor. I doubt you need firsts in all three years for a double first, though.
Reply 2
I believe it's usually taken to mean someone who gets a 1st in their final Part, and a 1st in another Part.

So for example if in Parts IA/IB/II (or I/IIA/IIB) a candidate gets 1/2:1/1 or 2:1/1/1, then that's a double-first; whereas 1/1/2:1 isn't. For those subjects (e.g. English) that just have Part I and Part II (no subdivisions into IA/IB or whatever), then you'd need a 1st in both. I seem to remember someone made an in-depth post about this a few years ago, so it's worth searching to see if you can find it.
Reply 3
Sorry you're all wrong. A double first is a first in two subjects. Hard to do. A first in parts I and II is just a first, as there is really nothing double about it.
Reply 4
Original post by rdka
Sorry you're all wrong. A double first is a first in two subjects. Hard to do. A first in parts I and II is just a first, as there is really nothing double about it.

You've replied to a thread from 2011. And certainly for Cambridge you are wrong.

At Cambridge (which is the host forum for this thread) a Double First means you achieved Firsts in both parts of the Tripos. e.g. for Economics year 1 is Part I, and year 2 & 3 is Part IIa & IIb. Getting a 1st in year 1, and a 1st in year 3 is a Double First.

cf. https://www.camdata.admin.cam.ac.uk/structure-undergraduate-courses-cambridge

You can also get a Starred First if your First is particularly high.

I'm now closing the thread. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
You've replied to a thread from 2011. And certainly for Cambridge you are wrong.

At Cambridge (which is the host forum for this thread) a Double First means you achieved Firsts in both parts of the Tripos. e.g. for Economics year 1 is Part I, and year 2 & 3 is Part IIa & IIb. Getting a 1st in year 1, and a 1st in year 3 is a Double First.

cf. https://www.camdata.admin.cam.ac.uk/structure-undergraduate-courses-cambridge

thats wrong. At Cambridge, a double first is a first in two different subjects at the same time. Hence 'double'. Thats why its so hard to get.
Reply 6
Original post by rdka
thats wrong. At Cambridge, a double first is a first in two different subjects at the same time. Hence 'double'. Thats why its so hard to get.

Looks like I forgot to close the thread - lol.

I linked you to Cambridge's own info about it above - I'll repeat what the link leads to:
"You may have heard the phrase "a double first", which means that a first class was achieved in two sets of examinations corresponding to two different Parts of Triposes."

There's no mention of having to do two different courses, because you don't.

And here's some real life examples
http://www.cam.ac.uk/news/pembroke-college-elects-new-master
Chris Smith, an Honorary Fellow of Pembroke since 2004, took a double first in English at Pembroke

http://www.cam.ac.uk/news/distinguished-lecture-on-the-outcome-of-the-economic-downturn
His Excellency Mr George Yeo, who graduated with a Double First in Engineering from Christ’s College in 1976

http://www.cam.ac.uk/news/closing-the-gender-gap-0
The students received a welcome message from Carolyn Fairbairn, who gained a double first in economics at Caius
(edited 6 years ago)

And here's some real life examples
http://www.cam.ac.uk/news/pembroke-college-elects-new-master
Chris Smith, an Honorary Fellow of Pembroke since 2004, took a double first in English at Pembroke

Absolute GOAT

In my first year I heard a rumour of a philosophy fellow at Trinity/John's with a quadruple-starred first in philosophy - I've always assumed this is nonsense, but is it possible? lol
Reply 8
Original post by Parliament
Absolute GOAT

In my first year I heard a rumour of a philosophy fellow at Trinity/John's with a quadruple-starred first in philosophy - I've always assumed this is nonsense, but is it possible? lol

Nah. It's possible to get a Double Starred First in a course with 2 Parts (like Philosophy).

A 3 Part course (such as NatSci or Maths) usually awards Distinction / Merit for the Part III and I don't think they are ever Starred. But could be wrong.

There's no 4 Part courses...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Parliament
Absolute GOAT

doubleˈdʌb(ə)l/adjective

1. consisting of two equal, identical, or similar parts or things."double doors"People who believe that a first in part I and part II in the same subject is a double first need to explain what they mean by 'double'. It cannot refer to the degree class as clearly that is awarded for two separate stages of the same tripos and therefore lacks the essential quality of comprising two equal parts.

Reply 10
@Parliament this guy apparently has a triple starred First in History but the citation doesn't support it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Ascherson
Original post by rdka
doubleˈdʌb(ə)l/adjective

1. consisting of two equal, identical, or similar parts or things."double doors"People who believe that a first in part I and part II in the same subject is a double first need to explain what they mean by 'double'. It cannot refer to the degree class as clearly that is awarded for two separate stages of the same tripos and therefore lacks the essential quality of comprising two equal parts.

Good luck telling the Registrary her Statutes and Ordinances are incorrect!
Reply 12
Original post by rdka
doubleˈdʌb(ə)l/adjective

Next you'll be saying Cambridge doesn't begin their academic week on a Thursday. Or that Full Term is longer than Term.
Next you'll be saying Cambridge doesn't begin their academic week on a Thursday. Or that Full Term is longer than Term.

Or that dogs aren't recognised as 'large cats' at Selwyn
Reply 14
Original post by threeportdrift
Or that dogs are recognised as 'large cats' at Selwyn

Like bears at Trinity.

Is YoYo still going?

Like bears at Trinity.

Is YoYo still going?

Not sure, but Coco is :wink:

Worth bearing in mind that a starred first is only offered in some triposes (the example I know is History, definitely not one in maths). Not to downplay the achievement but a friend got one in history after a 2:2 the previous year, so not entirely convinced they’re 100% robust :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by threeportdrift
Not sure, but Coco is :wink:

But no sign of Rocket :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by shamika
Worth bearing in mind that a starred first is only offered in some triposes (the example I know is History, definitely not one in maths). Not to downplay the achievement but a friend got one in history after a 2:2 the previous year, so not entirely convinced they’re 100% robust :tongue:

Ah, interesting. CompSci does, so it's not a humanities-only thing.
Ah, interesting. CompSci does, so it's not a humanities-only thing.

Didn’t know that! Always assumed it was a humanities thing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending