The Student Room Group

The Torchwood Society

Scroll to see replies

Oh my, the gay from GREEK is in the FBI <3

I wonder how many more surprises await for me :redface: Well, not going to watch the episode just yet - only watched the first few minutes to entice me later. Hearing Americans say "Torchwood" though... it's odd. Yes, I know, John Barrowman/Captain Jack has an American accent... but it doesn't sound weird when he says it!
I've just found something rather interesting on Amazon.co.uk.

Spoiler

Also just to remind everyone, the new Torchwood radio plays will be broadcast on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and can be downloaded for free from -here- shortly after.
Well, that was definitely not sub-par. It was... lighter than Children of Earth... lots of setting up, reintroducing etc., but a good episode. Some of the reveals you will probably see coming (as I did), but the references to some old Torchwood stories/characters was nice.
Reply 1563
Original post by LastLordofTime

I really enjoyed that episode. Obviously they had to do a lot of setting up so that potential new American viewers would understand what the hell Torchwood as an institute actually was.
Also, if this is how good Americans can make the actors etc in Torchwood act then I wouldn't mind them having a shot at Doctor Who and finally getting decent actors in. Or at least getting the current actors up to par.

I must say, the only thing I was disappointed in was another use of a montage to portray the problem as being on a global scale.

John Barrowmans Botox etc doesn't look too bad on screen and just seems to have taken a few years off him. Gwen Cooper however is starting to look a tad on the old side now :/
Yeah... Barrowman looked alright in Torchwood and Tonight's the Night (HE SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO HOST ENTERTAINMENT PROGRAMMES!), but on The One Show he just looked odd... Meh.

And Eve Myles never looked particularly young, but I suppose now she's up against all these fresh American faces (Britain appears far more likely to hire "less beautiful" people for TV) she looks older by comparison.

Edit: She's only 33? :redface: Thought she was older... But still, she was 28 when Torchwood started - she's crossed a decade boundary now :P
(edited 12 years ago)
I thought the show had been americanized to be honest :l

Spoilers:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Miracle Day
I thought the show had been americanized to be honest :l

Spoilers:

Spoiler

[NOPARSE]

Spoiler

[/NOPARSE]

It's best to put spoilers into spoiler tags. :wink:
There's no excuse for posting spoilers when there's instructions on how to use the spoiler tags in the first post...
Reply 1568

There's no excuse for posting spoilers when there's instructions on how to use the spoiler tags in the first post...

Also when they are clearly there to spoil it for people and not just spoilers regarding a discussion of the actual episode.
I'm waiting until Thursday (is it Thursday?) to watch it. Glad you guys mostly seem to have enjoyed it, sounds positive.
Reply 1570
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I quite enjoyed it. I thought the American setting and direction really raises the quality of the show. I also thought the two main American actors raised the acting in the show. Found myself preferring their sections to Gwen scenes.

Gwen really can't act. And when Torchwood was a British show it was enjoyable despite the poor acting. Now the American actors are really showing how poor British actors actually are.
Just to give it a bit of a break down...

Episode 1: Written by Russel T. Davies (British), Directed by Bharat Nalluri (British).
Episode 2: Written by Doris Egan (American), Directed by Billy Gierhart (American).
Episode 3: Written by Jane Espenson (American), Directed by Billy Hierhart (American)
Episode 4: Written by Jim Gray (American) & John Shiban (American), Directed by Billy Gierhart (American)
Episode 5: Written by Jane Espenson (American), Directed by Guy Ferland (American)
Episode 6: Written by John Shiban (American), Directed by Guy Ferland (American)
Episode 7: Written by Jane Espenson (American), Directed by Gwyneth Horder-Payton (American)
Episode 8: Written by Jane Espenson (American) & Ryan Scott (American), Directed by Gwyneth Horder-Payton (American)
Episode 9: Written by John Fay (British), Directed by Guy Ferland (American)
Episode 10: Written by Russel T. Davies (British) & Jane Espenson (American), Directed by Billy Gierhart (American).

It's no doubt been posted before, but it's relevant to my next point. Episode one was written and directed by British people - the next few episodes might seem different. There's only two British written episodes (and one co-written between a Brit and an American) - but we're the best at poking fun at ourselves. I do trust the writing team though - they've got some good names behind them. It also still has Russel and Julie as Executive Producers, making sure everything stays consistent.

Part of me thinks I only wrote out that list 'cause I'm bored :P
I wouldn't say British actors are worse, just that the good ones don't do Doctor Who/Torchwood in general. At least not at the moment.
Hmm... I just found out the British airing of Torchwood is 10 minutes longer than the American one :|
Reply 1574

Hmm... I just found out the British airing of Torchwood is 10 minutes longer than the American one :|

:facepalm2: Looks like I will have to watch that as well then.

Might just wait for the BBC from now on then.

Ah interesting. That may just be because it's very difficult to make a 50-minute slot on weekday evenings actually work (in which case I wonder what they'll actually do with the extra 10 mins), or maybe there'll be extra stuff? Though seeing as Starz got the world premiere I'd be very surprised if they cut some content out :unsure:
Yeah... I'm not sure whether we'll get anything extra. Starz is the network that produced Spartacus: Blood and Sand - so I can't see that being censored at all! Torchwood was actually kinda tame compared to other stuff I've seen from them :|
Yeah... I'm not sure whether we'll get anything extra. Starz is the network that produced Spartacus: Blood and Sand - so I can't see that being censored at all! Torchwood was actually kinda tame compared to other stuff I've seen from them :|

It might be that some scenes in both the BBC and Starz broadcasts are cut - Starz to cut it down to around 51-52 mins and the Beeb is perhaps 5 minutes longer but with some of the more adult scenes cut. BBC One would never show Spartacus as it is at 9pm :p: Torchwood was originally billed as 'Doctor Who for adults' but the last two series haven't been as adult as the first one was back in the days of BBC Three.

I'm tempted to watch the UK version to see the differences :holmes:
Original post by TheTallOne
It might be that some scenes in both the BBC and Starz broadcasts are cut - Starz to cut it down to around 51-52 mins and the Beeb is perhaps 5 minutes longer but with some of the more adult scenes cut. BBC One would never show Spartacus as it is at 9pm :p: Torchwood was originally billed as 'Doctor Who for adults' but the last two series haven't been as adult as the first one was back in the days of BBC Three.

I'm tempted to watch the UK version to see the differences :holmes:

I'm pretty sure it's tie'ing up loose ends with Torchwood from the UK P.O.V - I.E. The old viewers.
Original post by Miracle Day
I'm pretty sure it's tie'ing up loose ends with Torchwood from the UK P.O.V - I.E. The old viewers.

But what about the 9 episodes after that?

Quick Reply

Latest