The Student Room Group

Are University Societies made up of only ug?

Are University Societies made up of only ug? Which societies have the most postgraduates? Are there many postgraduates joining freshers' activities?
Original post by Anonymous
Are University Societies made up of only ug? Which societies have the most postgraduates? Are there many postgraduates joining freshers' activities?

Hey there 👋

A lot of postgrads join in with fresher's activities! Especially if they didn't do their undergrad at the same university, as it's a great time to get to know the campus and the societies.

At Essex we have a large number of international students studying undergrad and postgrad, and for many it will be their first time ever visiting the campus so it's a perfect time to get out and meet people and make new friends.

Postgrads may be more drawn to their subject societies at first. That's why freshers is so fun though, because you can see what societies are available and find something that interests you whether you're undergrad, postgrad, mature student, etc, there's something for everyone 😊

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Original post by Anonymous

Hi!

I have found all the societies I have been involved in have had a mix of undergrad and postgrad students. Subject and sports societies tend to be some of the largest societies so they may be a good place to start! Freshers activities at most unis are open to everyone and I would especially recommend attending freshers fair to see what societies are available - you can always ask there if they have many postgrad students who are involved. There may even be some postgrad-specific societies you can get involved with!

Hope this helps,
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Nope! I joined several societies as a postgraduate student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending